Terk HDTVa users! Questions, Tips, Comments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subject: This thread is dedicated to the Terk HDTVa:

If you have ANY comments on the TERK HDTVa good bad or funny, please lets talk. This is an Amazing Amplified Indoor VHF/UHF antenna.

Q)
I have one question, is there a polar plot for the UHF signal? The UHF antenna is a classic "Log Period. Clearly most gain is in the direction pointed, but how is it off the back and are their any side lobes..... Looking at generic plots of "log period" antennas it is interesting the difference between the elevation and azimuth plots. Turning the antenna on the vertical (which you can do by plugging it into the base vertically) might improve off side signal. I have not tried that yet.

Of course the VHF "rabbit ears" part of the antenna, is a dipole and acts like a dipole. Typically dipoles receive best off the sides, so it's bidirectional in line with the UHF part. However when you put a dipole in a Vee shape it makes it tune better off the ends (in-line with the two aerials). Having the radars totally flat is best, but it takes up too much ROOM inside a house to move it typically. For me my only VHF station is at physical channel 11 which is about 200 Mhz... Ideal 1/4 wave aerial length is a short 28" approximately. The each aerial of the TERK HDTVa is about 3.5 feet each, so stretched out flat at full length that is 7 feet.

Tip)
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MOVING YOUR Terk HDTVa away from your TV. For one I had no place to set the antenna near the TV. The TV is on an interior first floor wall. There are South Facing windows in that room (main stations to SE), but by getting a coaxial extension, moving the antenna way away from the TV, closer to the windows and higher up near the ceiling on the top shelf of a book case. I improved it's over all performance. It was LESS DIRECTIONAL and was able to get almost all stations in three directions at the same time.... I believe the flat screen TV's make RF noise or RFI, which lowers SNR.....

Comments)
Moved the antenna to the attic for an experiment. Running a coxial out the attic through the 2nd floor ceiling access, down the stairs to a first floor TV, the signal is AMAZING! I'm thinking of making this permanent by running coaxial out the attic, via the eave to the coaxial distribution box outside the house (the house is wired for cable TV), then to the TV of choice via built in the wall coaxial. I only have one TV so I think the existing signal injector (amp) will fine.

The option of course is get dedicated larger attic antenna like a medium sized 4-bay "bowtie", like an Antenna Direct DB4, Channel Master CM4221, Antennacraft U-4000, Wingard PR4400. I am worried about directional nature, wanting to avoid a rotor or two antennas and an A/B switch. Also it would be nice to do away with adding amps and combiners, but one of my stations is on VHF High. Fortunately it is a strong station, but the above antennas are UHF only. Not having the antenna pointed direct at it (to get other stations) might be an issue, so I might need to add a small VHF antenna, combining with a UVSJ - UHF VHF Signal Joiner, a low loss deal.

However the Terk HDTVa is almost getting the job done now. I might make it permanent attic antenna. To make the installation permanent I will drop the coaxial down from the eave to the cable distribution box on the back of the house, which was pre wired for cable.

Performance
In the first floor location I got about 17 networks and about 38 channels. In the attic I am getting about 21 networks and 56 channels approximately. Some networks are duplicates, but CW, Fox and even ABC, CBS and NBC show different programing at times. Also a few of the stations are "Tropopause" stations, only come in when the conditions are right, typically late at night. However this does show the advantage of HEIGHT, from the first floor going to the attic.

I could mount an antenna OUTSIDE but why? There are HOA rules for my area, although they can't stop me from putting up a small outside antenna, they might argue it's not necessary. There are lots of satellite dishes. The area is fully serviced with Time Warner Digital Cable.... I dropped cable a few months ago and love it. I kept the internet, and run that into the house on one of the 5 cable lines to one room and the WiFi router. The other 4 lines are available for use to feed OTA TV signals around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have the HDTVi. I live within 12 miles and have LOS of the antenna farm here in Phoenix. I use it with a splitter and share it with my HR20-700. I get all full and low power DTV stations. We have three VHF hi stations and come in at 100%

post #3 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MOVING YOUR Terk HDTVa away from your TV.

Generally, you'll often get better reception if you keep any indoor antenna as far away as possible from electronic devices. Most give off some sort of RF interference, some worse than others.
post #4 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Hmmm, I have enough cable to move into the next room. Perhaps Ill try that tonight

post #5 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The HDTVa and HDTVi are excellent indoor antennas with a very good log periodic design for UHF and added rabbbit ears for VHF. The amped version may not be necessary but depends upon signal strength and location. I have used the UHF arrow shaped element as a stand alone antenna before with very good results. Rather than connecting to the stand, I connected a 3ft RG6 coax directly to the UHF piece and ran it into a CM7777 preamp in the attic. Recieved channels from 75 miles with strong signal strength. So again, a very good design but unfortunately Audiovox no longer widely distributes these models as they are pushing their flat panel style antennas that don't work as well. However, HHG still sells the HDTVa and Fry's still carries both versions.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
You can also get them from Amazon for half the price of the B&M's.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea online order is much more reasonable than big box stores.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Hmmm, I have enough cable to move into the next room. Perhaps Ill try that tonight

You will need a female-female F connector, to splice in the length of coxial.

If you do this you can leave the amplifier near the TV so you don't have to move it. Try to add channels (if your TV does not delete existing stations) with the antenna in different locations, pointed in different directions; you might find you get new stations in different directions.

My Terk HDTVa worked OK near the TV but it just did not have a good shot to the NE which blocked stations. Also moving it near the outer wall of the house near the windows helped, in that I could get more stations in ONE fixed position. Near the TV I should get most of the same stations but had to aim it at least two or three times. My situation is I have strong stations in one direction and weaker in two other unique directions. Many stations are duplicate affilates but they have different programing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Generally, you'll often get better reception if you keep any indoor antenna as far away as possible from electronic devices. Most give off some sort of RF interference, some worse than others.

Yep that is what I said, "flat screen TV's make RF noise or RFI, which lowers SNR....." However I think most of the gain is getting the antenna in part of the house, closer to the signal, closer to an outside wall or window or windows. I also moved mine close to the ceiling, on top of a shelf.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
It's a good little antenna for the price, and slightly outperforms my coathanger antenna in my 'bad' reception room (ground floor, wrong side of house, no windows facing towers, appliance and fireplace interference, and affected by low flying planes). Moving it to the garage attic gives me a steadier picture without the need to adjust.

The main negative is that it is top-heavy. If it's going to be around humans and pets, it needs more weight in the base, or clay like they use to keep vases from toppling in earthquakes.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Terk makes good antennas. I have the Terk TV 5 indoor amplified antenna. It picks up my main stations at full strength from 8 miles away. It picks up my PBS station from 30 miles away with 6 out of 10 bars.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #11 of 28 Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post

You will need a female-female F connector, to splice in the length of coxial.

I have one. I have the HDTVi in a closet (on a shelf) next to entertainment center, so I need it to connect to the cable it's using now. We'll see if I get better reception in another location.

post #12 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

I have one. I have the HDTVi in a closet (on a shelf) next to entertainment center, so I need it to connect to the cable it's using now. We'll see if I get better reception in another location.

The HDTVi is not amplified... You might do well to buy a small amplifier that will go near the antenna. That will also take care of the splice. With more coxial comes some loss. The amplifier will negate that and bring in stations you receive stronger. Amplifiers can't find signals that are not there but some times they will bring in stations that were just a tad to weak to be received. Basically you are turning your HDTVi into a HDTVa.

If you want something high quality go with a signal booster (you can get some cheap junk for $15, but spend the $25 and get a high quality booster).

PCT2-m
Channel Master cm 3410
Motorola signal booster 484095-001-00
(Motorola cost more and is high quality, but I don't think it's better. Save your money and get the PCT or Channel Master.)

You are serious about low noise with a coaxial power cord.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 AM

The coax I use for the closet is about 3 feet. The coax I was going to try is about 15 feet. The other location has trees in the LOS

post #14 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 16
i have the HDTVA as well.my apt faces north,and my station signals are coming from the southwest.i aimed my antenna at a building approx 1/4 mile away and receive 20-30 digital stations,depending on weather conditions.gotta luv signal deflection. i was wondering if i used the CM3410 instead of the power inserter(turned off) would it make any difference for signal strength.the power inserter(amp) is listed having 12db of gain,but i dont know the noise db.the cm3410 has 15db of gain,and noise of 2.7db.im asking because our winters up here(especially strong n/w winds) cause signal interruptions.has anyone tried this combination? thx in advance.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM

I have an HDTVi installed in a stack of chairs in my side yard. It's doing ok picking up the full power stations in its position (all except one) I'm currently looking for a better antenna to sit out there to solve the signal drop issues I occasionally experience.
post #16 of 28 Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can someone tell me if their HDTVa works well with A/B switches without any signal degradation and loss in picture quality? I'm trying to combine my OTA channels with QAM cable and was wondering if my HDTVa was up to the task. I'll also take suggestions on which particular A/B switches I need to look at.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
post #17 of 28 Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Can someone tell me if their HDTVa works well with A/B switches without any signal degradation and loss in picture quality?

That depends on the A/B switch, not the antenna used.

Quote:

I'm trying to combine my OTA channels with QAM cable and was wondering if my HDTVa was up to the task.

You can't do it. Cable QAM & OTA frequencies will interfere with each other. Run two cables.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

That depends on the A/B switch, not the antenna used.

You can't do it. Cable QAM & OTA frequencies will interfere with each other. Run two cables.

Thanks for the reply Ken. Here's what I'm thinking my connection would look like:

Hook up an A/B switch to the one and only RF Input of my samsung HDTV. From there connect my Terk HDTVa and my cable coax to the A/B switch. Does this sound right?

I'm thinking of picking up a high end well reviewed A/B switch from Amazon for this purpose. The only negative I can think of is the fact that I'll have to get up and flip the A/B switch everytime I toggle between cable and antenna. Again I appreciate your response.
post #19 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Something like this would work good, I wouldn't get one of the slide switches like this because after a while they start to get noisy.
I thought Monoprice would carry such switches but after several searches it looks like they carry NO RF switches
I don't really buy anything from Ebay but just used them for reference, lots of other places should carry similar switches. Look for low insertion loss and high isolation, although with digital TV isolation might not be as important as it once was because ghosting isn't a problem like it once was.
You can even purchase remote control RF switches so you can change inputs from your armchair.
http://www.markertek.com/Routers-Swi...425.xhtml?VC2X
Several RF switches from Amazon, including wireless.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...antenna+switch
post #20 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I'm also thinking of adding a Tivo premiere or the new channel master 7400 OTA DVR to this. How will the connection work if that is the case? Does the DVR get hooked up to the A/B Switch or directly to the HDTV?
post #21 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Ken. Here's what I'm thinking my connection would look like:

Hook up an A/B switch to the one and only RF Input of my samsung HDTV. From there connect my Terk HDTVa and my cable coax to the A/B switch. Does this sound right?

I'm thinking of picking up a high end well reviewed A/B switch from Amazon for this purpose. The only negative I can think of is the fact that I'll have to get up and flip the A/B switch everytime I toggle between cable and antenna. Again I appreciate your response.

See jjeff's comments about the switch.

post #22 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks! I'm also thinking of adding a Tivo premiere or the new channel master 7400 OTA DVR to this. How will the connection work if that is the case? Does the DVR get hooked up to the A/B Switch or directly to the HDTV?

You would need a splitter to get the signal you wanted (OTA or cable) into the DVR & HDTV at the same time, although at that point there are a number of ways to configure a system. The DVR is typically connected to the HDTV using an HDMI cable and you could put the A/B switch in front of it. (Check in the HDTV Recorders Forum to see how the different DVR's handle that; some require a new set up when changing inputs, which kind of negates the advantage of having two inputs). You could also split both (or one) signals, put an A/B switch in front of the DVR and HDTV, and have the ability to get either OTA or cable into either the HDTV or DVR.....

If you do get a DVR, and it's the TiVo, would you want more than local HD channels? If so you'll need to rent a CableCARD from your cableco. Either way, once you start using the TiVo you may not see the need to switch from that to other inputs.

post #23 of 28 Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Ken! This is what I'm thinking my connection would look like.

Samsung Plasma RF Input-> A/B Switch-> Terk HDTVa coax and QAM cable coax-> Tivo Premiere's Antenna Input (where the HDTVa gets hooked up to) and Cable Input (where the QAM cable gets connected to)

The premiere's specs list it as having dual antenna and cable RF Inputs so it's a huge plus. I just suspect that the A/B switcher might be the problem here as I'm almost sure that it won't let me mix and match by letting the tivo record 1 OTA and 1 QAM cable channel at the same time. I'll have to settle for either 2 QAM or 2 OTA channels being recorded at the same time instead.

I'll never go back to HD Cable so I'm not worried too much about that. What do you think about the above scenario?
post #24 of 28 Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount this antenna up on wall? I have found that the higher I can get it, the better it is at getting a good signal. Thanks.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The pedastal is heavy and not well balanced. If you want, you can bypass that pedastal and use the arrow shaped UHF element only. Connect the UHF arrow to a 3ft RG6 cable going into a dist amp if necessary. Then run additional RG6 cable as needed to the TV. This will allow you place the antenna higher and more discreetly on top of a shelf or in a tighter space. Works great unless you really need the rabbit ears for VHF, although the UHF arrow itself does a pretty good job with HiVHF. If using this method, go ahead and by the cheaper HDTVi version and save some money.
post #26 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The pedastal is heavy and not well balanced. If you want, you can bypass that pedastal and use the arrow shaped UHF element only. Connect the UHF arrow to a 3ft RG6 cable going into a dist amp if necessary. Then run additional RG6 cable as needed to the TV. This will allow you place the antenna higher and more discreetly on top of a shelf or in a tighter space. Works great unless you really need the rabbit ears for VHF, although the UHF arrow itself does a pretty good job with HiVHF. If using this method, go ahead and by the cheaper HDTVi version and save some money.

Thanks Tyler. I would presume I would also need an RG6 butt connector in order to attach the RG6 cable to the UHF element.

Also, and I will have to test it to be certain, but I could have sworn that the OTA signals I am trying to pick up did not lock in until I extended the rabbit ears, which does not make much sense since they are all UHF signals.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.a...n=-121.5255815
post #27 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

Thanks Tyler. I would presume I would also need an RG6 butt connector in order to attach the RG6 cable to the UHF element.

Also, and I will have to test it to be certain, but I could have sworn that the OTA signals I am trying to pick up did not lock in until I extended the rabbit ears, which does not make much sense since they are all UHF signals.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.a...n=-121.5255815

At your location close to the towers, you should not need an amplifier, and that could create overload problems. The basic rabbit ears/loop from Radioshack should work fine.
post #28 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

At your location close to the towers, you should not need an amplifier, and that could create overload problems. The basic rabbit ears/loop from Radioshack should work fine.

I already have this Terk so no need to buy anything else.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page