Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is my first hdtv so im kind of green

i didnt get it in yet but i believe this tv doesnt have a headphone jack

how can i go about connecting headphones to this tv?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B004MME756
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is headphone jack to audio converter cord out there.

And the FOUL!
post #3 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems that set only has a digital output. To get sound to headphones, you would need to run that to a receiver, and then connect your headphones to the receiver.

Or, depending on the sources you have, you may be able to just connect the headphones directly to the source.
post #4 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

If i get one of those rca female y adapters and plug that into my cable box then headphones into that will that work
post #5 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
No, RCA line outputs aren't meant for headphones, they are also generally a constant audio output level, not good for headphones. You could use the splitter but you'd need to run it to a small amplifier that had a headphone jack. No real easy way to do what you want
post #6 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post

If i get one of those rca female y adapters and plug that into my cable box then headphones into that will that work

Not very well. Those are usually non adjustable as far as volume goes.

There are conversion boxes that will convert the TV's optical digital output to L/R (red & white) analog audio output. From there conversion to your headphone's plug should be easy.

Note: Be sure to get a conversion box that converts PCM and Dolby Digital, not just PCM.

Or, get a A/V receiver with an optical digital input, and a headphone jack output.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Not very well. Those are usually non adjustable as far as volume goes.

There are conversion boxes that will convert the TV's optical digital output to L/R (red & white) analog audio output. From there conversion to your headphone's plug should be easy.

Note: Be sure to get a conversion box that converts PCM and Dolby Digital, not just PCM.

Or, get a A/V receiver with an optical digital input, and a headphone jack output.

can you link me to what i would need to buy please im a real noob at this

with this box i would plug in the y cable into that?
post #8 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

We all were noobs once, don't feel bad.

Answering your question may not REALLY be what you want. I'd like to know what your TV is, and what else you are hooking to your TV, coming in (DVD, BluRay, Cable Box, Satellite box (and via what for those) Antenna, cable directly. And going out ... do you have a Home Theater system connected TO THE TV.

The answer depends on those. In particular, what I think is the best way won't USUALLY work except with an antenna or direct cable connection. Unless the set is decoding the RF signal, the high quality audio output (as in Dolby type, often identified by the term SPDIF) won't usually be active.
post #9 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

We all were noobs once, don't feel bad.

Answering your question may not REALLY be what you want. I'd like to know what your TV is, and what else you are hooking to your TV, coming in (DVD, BluRay, Cable Box, Satellite box (and via what for those) Antenna, cable directly. And going out ... do you have a Home Theater system connected TO THE TV.

The answer depends on those. In particular, what I think is the best way won't USUALLY work except with an antenna or direct cable connection. Unless the set is decoding the RF signal, the high quality audio output (as in Dolby type, often identified by the term SPDIF) won't usually be active.

well first off i did reliazie today that connecting to my cable box i dont think would help me cause thats not the input that i use the headphones for i use it for my popcorn hour media streamer so instead of connecting to my cable box the idea i had it would be to the popcorn hours rca but on to answering your questions

tv Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 37-Inch 1080p 3D LED HDTV

fios hd cable box

ps3

and popcorn hour a-110 media streamer

everything hooked up via hdmi

no theater setup dont have the room for it if anything down the line i might get a soundbar but not even sure i will have the room for that
post #10 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

well first off i did realize today that connecting to my cable box i don't think would help me cause that's not the input that i use the headphones for i use it for my popcorn hour media streamer so instead of connecting to my cable box the idea i had it would be to the popcorn hours rca but on to answering your questions

tv Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 37-Inch 1080p 3D LED HDTV

fios hd cable box

ps3

and popcorn hour a-110 media streamer

everything hooked up via hdmi

no theater setup don't have the room for it if anything down the line i might get a soundbar but not even sure i will have the room for that

OK, from your manual, I see only one good possibility, and another I don't like. If you get a compatible HT receiver (you don't need the speakers for this to work), and use it for doing the HDMI selection, it APPEARS that you can use the ARC feature. I quote the manual, "No optical cable is necessary when connecting a Home Theater supporting HDAVI control 5 with an HDMI cable. Audio will be supported via ARC (Audio Return Channel)" I'm making a big assumption that you don't need SIMULTANEOUS TV speakers and headphones. The headphones would be fed from the HT receiver.

Other option ... cutting into the TV and splicing wires ... 20 years ago, realistic, new stuff ... less so.

Good Luck ... you'll need it.
post #11 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another option ... cutting into the TV and splicing wires ... 20 years ago, realistic, new stuff ... less so.
Good Luck ... you'll need it.

Actually I've opened my last several LCDs to gain access to the speaker wires
Generally the amplifier is pretty decent in larger LCDs but the tiny speakers really blow. I disconnect the internal speakers and bring the wires outside the TV where I wire nut them to higher quality (non amplified) bookshelf speakers. MUCH better sound than the internals and no issues so far(5 years on my oldest hack).
I guess one could run the wires to a headphone jack(one that would cut the speakers when headphones were plugged in) but I'm not sure how good running the TVs amp to only headphones would be for the amp
I've never had one of the super thin(less than a inch) LCDs(mine have been more like 6" thick) so if you have a really thin model I'd be a little more intimidated. The thicker ones just have a dozen or so screws that hold the back on and the speaker wires are right in the open.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Actually I've opened my last several LCDs to gain access to the speaker wires
Generally the amplifier is pretty decent in larger LCDs but the tiny speakers really blow. I disconnect the internal speakers and bring the wires outside the TV where I wire nut them to higher quality (non amplified) bookshelf speakers. MUCH better sound than the internals and no issues so far(5 years on my oldest hack).
I guess one could run the wires to a headphone jack(one that would cut the speakers when headphones were plugged in) but I'm not sure how good running the TVs amp to only headphones would be for the amp
I've never had one of the super thin(less than a inch) LCDs(mine have been more like 6" thick) so if you have a really thin model I'd be a little more intimidated. The thicker ones just have a dozen or so screws that hold the back on and the speaker wires are right in the open.

Yea, there was a thread on here a few weeks ago with a guy who did that. Generally finding the speaker wires is pretty easy once you get the back cover off the tv. Then all you need to do is splice into the wires, and install a headphone jack on the back or side of the tv. The thread I'm talking about, the guy even put in a switch, so when not using the headphones, he could also go back to the tv speakers.
post #13 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

yea def prefer not doing anything like that lol
post #14 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ONE model converter box that will convert DD & PCM digital audio to L/R analog audio is:

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2.../dp/B0021QBIBQ

NOTE: This converter convert Dolby Digital as well as PCM digital audio. Some of the cheaper (monoprice) models convert PCM digital only.

Quote:

with this box i would plug in the y cable into that?

I don't know what "Y" cable you have. You would need a red & white male RCA connector to female headphone (phono) cable. Plus, a optical digital to optical digital connector (availabe on the same amazon page) to connect from the TV to the converter box.

A low-end AVR might well be easier/cheaper.

In another thread in this forum, the OP got the converter and says it works great:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350879
post #15 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ONE model converter box that will convert DD & PCM digital audio to L/R analog audio is:

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2.../dp/B0021QBIBQ

NOTE: This converter convert Dolby Digital as well as PCM digital audio. Some of the cheaper (monoprice) models convert PCM digital only.

I don't know what "Y" cable you have. You would need a red & white male RCA connector to female headphone (phono) cable. Plus, a optical digital to optical digital connector (availabe on the same amazon page) to connect from the TV to the converter box.

A low-end AVR might well be easier/cheaper.

In another thread in this forum, the OP got the converter and says it works great:

thanks a little pricey so im going to wait and see if i could find or something else but in the end if nothing satisfys me this is what i would get thanks
post #16 of 31 Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

ONE model converter box that will convert DD & PCM digital audio to L/R analog audio is the: Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-GefenTV-Digital-Decoder

But what is he going to connect it to, the TV? I personally know of NO TVs that have the digital audio outputs active when a "signal" is via HDMI rather than the ATSC/QAM tuner.

With the new ARC, maybe ... it appears it may be on the HDMI back to the supplying device, but only that, I think.

Re my comment (and the OP's concern) on splicing into the speakers for headphones ... I'm unsure of DC levels that MAY be present and what a short MAY do. If you are electronics oriented, think about push-pull outputs. When I DID use speaker outputs for headphones, some 30 y ears or so back, I used a "realistic" resistor to load the circuit then a series pair to get voltages more appropriate for the headphones. My headphones were 8 ohm, and 10mW was overkill ...

I used a 22 ohm load, a 470 ohm source and IIRC a 47 ohm across the cans ... about 10mW at a volume control set for what was a 1W output. It has been too long, I know I played with it.

Today ... best way, IMO, would be a small audio transformer like we USED to be able to buy for 29 cents ... 1000:1 impedance for 31.6:1 voltage with an input load R to be sure nothing got damaged.
post #17 of 31 Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally know of NO TVs that have the digital audio outputs active when a "signal" is via HDMI rather than the ATSC/QAM tuner.

Just an FYI but my 3? year old Sony W4100 LCD(not sure about newer Sony models since I don't own one) optical output is active no matter what the input. I regularly listen to my 5.1 AVR(via optical from my TV) when playing my BR, DVD player or Tivo HD which are hooked to my TV via HDMI and as you said it's also active when watching TV using the TVs internal tuner. Although I do believe this isn't a very common feature(from reading AVS) but since my AVR only has one optical input I'm grateful my TV acts as a 5.1 switcher
post #18 of 31 Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But what is he going to connect it to, the TV? I personally know of NO TVs that have the digital audio outputs active when a "signal" is via HDMI rather than the ATSC/QAM tuner.

You're kidding, right? Every TV I've checked has the digital audio output active with an HDMI input. My Sony Bravia, and all Bravias, for example. The Panasonic Viera that got hooked up to an audio D/A converter in another thread.

I guess some sets might require the HDMI have only PCM audio since it has no way to pass the DD, but not all.

To what models are you referring?
post #19 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:

You're kidding, right? Every TV I've checked has the digital audio output active with an HDMI input. My Sony Bravia, and all Bravias, for example. The Panasonic Viera that got hooked up to an audio D/A converter in another thread.

I guess some sets might require the HDMI have only PCM audio since it has no way to pass the DD, but not all.

To what models are you referring?

My Sony 46E2000, Vizio VO22L, and my friends Mitsubishi 84" RP ... BUT ... it was with BD Audio, 5.1 DVDs and a CD in a BD player I tried this with ... maybe the BD (Sony 360) messes something up ... or maybe it is my older Onkyo. But, keep reading.

Where I came up with my (perhaps erroneous) results ...

BD playing a CD or BD audio connected only to the Sony via HDMI, Sony to Onkyo via Optical ... no sound. Broadcast 5.1 works fine. BD to TV as above, BD to Onkyo via copper SPDIF, selecting between the 2 inputs works fine.

The TV has an option for which (single) output gets 5.1, I'm set to copper; the HDMI is PCM.

After this, I dragged the Vizio up and found it to not output optical from HDMI in either, BUT with some otherwise setup as above.

Went to friend's house with 3 large Mitsubishi RP sets, one with a BD via HDMI and Yamaha HT ... same thing found. His BD is not a Sony; Samsung, I think, but am not sure. I did not play with any of his otherwise working settings. He only uses the HT from his BD player, I think.

Limited data set, yes, and I'm glad to be wrong in general. I'll keep my lips zippered on this until I have a larger data set and can determine when my situation applies and when it doesn't.

Thanks for opening my mind a little; I'm so stuck in 1960.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

General note to multiple posters:

PLEASE don't use BR for Blu-ray Disc players. They are officially BD players, for Blu-ray Disc.
post #21 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

general note to multiple posters:

Please don't use br for blu-ray disc players. They are officially bd players, for blu-ray disc.

+1

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #22 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PLEASE don't use BR for Blu-ray Disc players. They are officially BD players, for Blu-ray Disc.

Call me guilty, I thought the player was a BR but the physical disc was BD(for Blu-ray Disc) If the player is BD then what is the abbreviation for the physical disc?
post #23 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Guilty, last post corrected. We'll see if I'm smart enough to remember .
post #24 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Call me guilty, I thought the player was a BR but the physical disc was BD(for Blu-ray Disc)
The precise, specific abbreviation for the whole term "Blu-ray player" would be "BDP", and the disc itself "BD". If one is going to spell out the complete word "player", it would be "BD player".

I believe some BD players actually use "BDP" in their model numbers.
post #25 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Call me guilty, I thought the player was a BR but the physical disc was BD(for Blu-ray Disc) If the player is BD then what is the abbreviation for the physical disc?
The player is simply a BD player (like a DVD player.)
The disc itself is a BD.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
The precise, specific abbreviation for the whole term "Blu-ray player" would be "BDP", and the disc itself "BD". If one is going to spell out the complete word "player", it would be "BD player".
BDP is not correct. It's BD player. Ever see DVDP used? Of course not. It's DVD player.
post #27 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I like BRP (player) and BRD (disc).
post #28 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As I mentioned in a related post here a few weeks back, Dolby Digital headphones (Google for price(s)), would accept a digital audio output from your TV, provide 5.1 sound from the wireless headphones, and provide a 2nd wired output jack for ordinary headphones, also delivering 5.1 DD. -- John
post #29 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

As I mentioned in a related post here a few weeks back, Dolby Digital headphones (Google for price(s)), would accept a digital audio output from your TV, provide 5.1 sound from the wireless headphones, and provide a 2nd wired output jack for ordinary headphones, also delivering 5.1 DD. -- John

True, but I've yet to see a pair of DD headphones for under $100-$125. Most are in the $150 price range or higher.
post #30 of 31 Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I like BRP (player) and BRD (disc).

I like 3-breasted green women. That doesn't make them exist (except on Star Trek.)
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page