HDMI to Component Converter / Conversion ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am looking for a way to convert a HMDI output on my AVR to a component video input on my (HDMI input-lacking) television. I've searched the Internet for solutions and it seems like devices like this one are what people are using with mixed results -

http://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Componen.../dp/B002SFT3ZI

This product seems to be successful with Apple TV, but I need it to work with my AVR. Before I ordered one and tried it out, I thought I'd check here first. A quick search here didn't reveal anything, so I thought I'd post the question.

Am I going to be able to pull this off without a drastic drop in video quality, or am I SOL until I get a newer television with HDMI inputs? Is there another solution out there that I'm missing?

Other info:
My AVR doesn't have component video outs.
I don't need audio to go past the receiver to the television.
A PS3 (for gaming, CD and DVD) and Wii will be hooked up to the AVR.
Cable will be going directly into the TV (no cable box) with an optical audio cable running from the TV to the AVR if I want to listen to TV audio over the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

What TV do you have? You might have a DVI input.

The PS3 and Wii both do component output, though. You could avoid HDMI entirely and just run component video from them straight to the TV, using your receiver only for audio.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know the model number off the top of my head and can't check at the moment because I'm working, but after a quick search, it might be this one because it looks just like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDF-E50A1.../dp/B000A2K3Y6

However, the description says it has a HDMI input, which I'm fairly positive my TV doesn't haveI'll have to go home and double check tonight.

Assuming it doesn't have HDMI and I run the video for both the Wii and PS3 directly to the TV, can I route the audio for both to my AVR (Denon 2112ci), or will I need to run it to my TV and then back to my AVR via an optical audio cable?

Thanks for your help!
post #4 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can route the audio only to the receiver.

Also, if your TV has a DVI input, it should actually work with the HDMI output of the Denon.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Yes, you can route the audio only to the receiver.

Also, if your TV has a DVI input, it should actually work with the HDMI output of the Denon.

Okay, I'll do a little more checking tonight. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If it doesn't, then a HDfury2 or HDfury3 will be your best bet.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Liked: 10
I got one from EforCity.com that works perfectly on a Roku2 to a Sony LCD TV. The Roku needed HMCP and the Sony didn't have it.

It was cheap!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If your looking for a reliable HDMI>Component video converter then you can't do better than the HDFury 2 or 3.It is probably the best converter of its kind in the world.It accepts and passes every resolution from 480i-1080p and is fully re-programmable.I own one (Fury2)i connect it to the HDMI output of my Denon2310CI AVR.Before i bought this particular converter i did a LOT of checking around for the best one i could find and the fury converters turned out to be the best.Lots of user reviews on the fury,almost every one of them were extremely positive,even 'glowing'.I like my Fury and will never give it up.It's a bit pricey though,the fury2 sells for $169bucks,the Fury3 sells for $249bucks(IIRC).You can check them out at www.hdfury.com There is another one called the "View HD" converter,it's cheaper than the fury,don't know how well it works,has fairly good user reviews(not as good as the Fury though)You can check out the ViewHD converter at Amazon,sells for ~$100 bucks. G.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

I am looking for a way to convert a HMDI output on my AVR to a component video input on my (HDMI input-lacking) television. I've searched the Internet for solutions and it seems like devices like this one are what people are using with mixed results -

Wow, reading those reviews I'd stay clear of that product. As Greaser said the Lenkeng converters are equally as poor quality, I returned mine because of the sub par picture quality
IMO to do what you want and retain picture quality you're looking at >$200 not <$100, not cheap but it depends how fussy you are about picture quality.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

This product seems to be successful with Apple TV, but I need it to work with my AVR. Before I ordered one and tried it out, I thought I'd check here first. A quick search here didn't reveal anything, so I thought I'd post the question.

Am I going to be able to pull this off without a drastic drop in video quality, or am I SOL until I get a newer television with HDMI inputs? Is there another solution out there that I'm missing?

http://preview.*******.com/3j6tw3v
http://audio-video-supply.markertek....i+to+component

Can't testify as to quality, as I've never used one.

HDCP may be problematic, BTW.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

http://preview.*******.com/3j6tw3v
http://audio-video-supply.markertek....i+to+component

Can't testify as to quality, as I've never used one.

HDCP may be problematic, BTW.

Whew boy! there sure are a lot of converters shown there.I don't know which one you're talking about but,if it's the Atlona AT-HD40 then forget it,the Atlona has already stated that their converter will kill its output whenever HDCP is detected. G.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, this one works just fine through my Onkyo AVR, and the component outputs look fine. It IS HDCP compatible as I can play Blu-Ray disks from my PS3 and view the 1080P component outputs with analog stereo or 5.1 SPDIF digital sound.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone.../ref=pd_sim_e1

Mike T
post #13 of 20 Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Well, this one works just fine through my Onkyo AVR, and the component outputs look fine. It IS HDCP compatible as I can play Blu-Ray disks from my PS3 and view the 1080P component outputs with analog stereo or 5.1 SPDIF digital sound.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone.../ref=pd_sim_e1

Mike T

I use this ViewHD converter as well. It's worked very very well for me so far. I don't use any of the audio features, though, since my avr does HDMI but my tv does not (Mitsibishi CRT rear projection)... The monitor out from the avr goes through the ViewHD to convert to Component. Works great.

One thing to bear on mind, these converters DO NOT CHANGE THE RESOLUTION. If your TV can't do 1080p and your device is trying to send 1080p, the converters will happily try to pass 1080p to your tv over component, and likely you won't get a picture. If your tv can't do 720p, same story. My avr (Denon 3312) has a true scaler built in (not just 1080p upscaling), so I scale 720p AppleTV output to the 1080i my TV can handle, and all is well. Similarly, I had to lock the output of my Panny blu-ray and my DirecTV HD-DVR to always output 1080i, so no problems. But if you have a device that you can't force the output to an appropriate resolution (such as AppleTV which is ONLY 720p, no lower options), and your tv can't handle that res over component, it's not going to work for you. This applies to ViewHD, HD Fury, and any such converter that is not a scaler.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Very good reviews on that product and good price too.
Looks like the seller(or possibly maker) responds to the few negative comments which is nice to see
What Kalani said above seems to be what the majority of problems arise from.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yes,what Kalani says is true,but i don't think any of these types of converters have a built-in scaler,they don't need one.Set the resolution and any scaling that will be done, will be done by the tv.I set my Fury to output 720p,also my AVR,my tv's native resolution is 1280x768,so the tv upscales to its native resolution.I could set the output resolution to 1080i(my tv won't accept 1080p) but the end result would be the same,my tv would downscale to 768p.No difference.As i said in my earlier post, i have read some good reviews about the View HD and the price is reasonable,but i'll stick with my Fury2 G.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Id'e just like to give a "heads up" to anyone considering buying the ViewHD converter.There seems to be two different models of this converter,one has good reviews and the other has pretty bad reviews.The model # of the "good" one is VHD-H2YVs,and sells for ~$95bucks.I don't have the model # of the "bad" one,don't see a need for it.you can see both models at Amazon. G.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The link I provided in post #12 is the one that works and is about $95. It also works just fine with the HD-PVR component recorder. Just make sure the signal is 1080i or 720P as HD-PVR does not work at 1080P.

I had considered the HD-Fury but could not find anyplace to buy it, a site in UK said they could not ship it to the USA.

Mike T
post #18 of 20 Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

mtallent you can buy the HDFury from www.hdfury.com they're in Taiwan.Yes they can ship to the USA-FREE!! G.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Id'e just like to give a "heads up" to anyone considering buying the ViewHD converter.There seems to be two different models of this converter,one has good reviews and the other has pretty bad reviews.The model # of the "good" one is VHD-H2YVs,and sells for ~$95bucks.I don't have the model # of the "bad" one,don't see a need for it.you can see both models at Amazon. G.

The difference is the older VHD-H2YV (note no "s") vs. the newer VHD-H2YVs (note the "s" at the end).

The newer one is the one you want. I don't know if you even can get the older one anymore (not off Amazon, at least), but good to be aware of the difference in case you're buying elsewhere, or used.

HD Fury was hard to find for a while, esp. once Curt Palme and Monoprice both stopped carrying them, but no problem to get them from hdfury.com now.

For me, the ViewHD was noticeably cheaper, and given Amazon's generous return policy (and no international shipping needed), I gave the ViewHD a try first, and ended up liking it enough that I haven't bothered to go after the HD Fury even though I could if I wanted, now. It has worked flawlessly for me, to date. (I might feel less happy if I wasn't going through an AVR with a full scaler built in, however, I dunno.)
post #20 of 20 Old 09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

The

HD Fury was hard to find for a while, esp. once Curt Palme and Monoprice both stopped carrying them, but no problem to get them from hdfury.com now.

About a year ago the NA retailers were no longer allowed to sell the HDFury,that's why they disappeared from Curt Palme's,Monoprice's and every other NA site.I was just about to order from MP when they disappeared.I checked out several European and Scandinavian websites and even an Austrailian site but they were all waaaaaay $$$$$$ then i found their Taiwan site. I like that the furys EDIDS(4-8 banks depending on the model) are user programmable,and i 'think' the firmware is re-programmable by the manufacturer for the Furys 2 and 3.AFAIK,no other converter of this type allows for any kind of reprogrammability whatsoever.Iv'e read that the fury4 will allow for firmware updates by the user as well.The Fury may be expensive but when i add up all the other advantages it has,i think the price is worth it.They also seem to have good customer support! G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical