El Cerrito, CA: Antenna advice (HD4400 or similar?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I put an el cheepo Eagle Aspen DB2 on my roof mast (25' up) but it ain't cutting it. Advice on a better antenna would be much appreciated. If you look at my tvfool results, most of what I want is in green and within 13 degrees. My DB2 is pointed right down the middle. Easy peasy.

Problems are I don't get KNTV at all, or KKPX reliably. Both are green, 1 Edge.

First thought -- after scrutinizing hdtvprimer.com -- is to get a Winegard HD4400 (<$30). That should be able to pull in KNTV and KKPX, right?

But here's the kicker: I'd really like to pull in KQEH, which is pink, 2 edge, and almost 90 degrees off from where I'm pointed. (It's got the only PBS Kids station around here.) Is there an antenna that I could point at KQEH and that would still be able to pick up most of my green stations from almost 90 degrees off-axis? I'm pretty sure I don't want to bother with an antenna rotator. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A CM 4228HD should get KQEH, but you would likely need a rotor.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
79 degrees (mag) off-axis is a real challenge for any antenna. If you do not want to consider a rotor, then maybe a second antenna aimed specifically at the PBS station and an A-B switch at the TV (depending on how the TV scans for channels or whether it will allow you to ADD a channel after a scan).
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc510 View Post

Problems are I don't get KNTV at all, or KKPX reliably. Both are green, 1 Edge.

First thought -- after scrutinizing hdtvprimer.com -- is to get a Winegard HD4400 (<$30). That should be able to pull in KNTV and KKPX, right?

I wouldn't count on an HD4400, rated for channels 14-69, to pick up KNTV on channel 12.

Your DB-2 has enough gain to pick up KKPX. Is the antenna aimed properly? Is it mounted on the roof and in the clear?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there an antenna that I could point at KQEH and that would still be able to pick up most of my green stations from almost 90 degrees off-axis?

Maybe, but if you made it work, the off axis stations would drop out from time to time.

Consider two antennas and an A/B switch.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks everybody. Time to think about two antennas, which gets to two more questions:

(1) What do I need to look for to get a good A/B switch (probably a remote control weather-proof model)? I've seen reference to a jointenna signal combiner; is this a potential solution for me?

(2) What antenna to point at KQEH? I'd have to upgrade my mast for a big antenna like a CM 4228; could I use something lighter like a yagi-type antenna?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(1) What do I need to look for to get a good A/B switch (probably a remote control weather-proof model)? I've seen reference to a jointenna signal combiner; is this a potential solution for me?

(2) What antenna to point at KQEH? I'd have to upgrade my mast for a big antenna like a CM 4228; could I use something lighter like a yagi-type antenna?

The A/B switch goes near the TV set. Each antenna requires a dedicated feedline.

A Jointenna is intended to add a single channel from a second antenna. In your case your goal is an entire TV market. Yet if KSTS, KQEH, and KDTV are all you want from San Jose, a channel 50 Jointenna is likely to pass channels 49, 50, and 51. http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

The 91XG is an excellent UHF only yagi style antenna. It is not a good choice to receive channels 2-13.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

...A Jointenna is intended to add a single channel from a second antenna. ...a channel 50 Jointenna is likely to pass channels 49, 50, and 51. http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

Tower Guy,
Can a Jointenna be used to attenuate a single channel that is too strong? For example, channel 50 in the tvfool below:
. . .

All channels on the list come in without a rotor or preamp, except the weakest one, KFTA RF 27. If the 7777 preamp is added, the strongest channel, KNWA RF 50 is unstable.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Tower Guy,
Can a Jointenna be used to attenuate a single channel that is too strong?

Yes, but probably not enough to solve your problem.

I've never measured a Jointenna, even though I have access to the equipment to do so. The trap on a Jointenna is a low Q 2 element lumped constant filter.

I'd say that the 7777 preamp has too much gain. I seen many of your posts, but I don't recall what else you may have tried. The HDP-269 is suggested in cases of potential preamp overload. Based on the TVFool report, an HDP-269 has just enough gain with the reflector-less 4228 if the feedline is less than 50' and there is no splitter.

If you have a splitter try the AP-8700 instead, but it too may overload on channel 50.

Consider instead a simple low pass filter with a cut-off between channel 44 and channel 50 (~668 MHz). Install it between the antenna and preamp.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

Yes, but probably not enough to solve your problem.

I've never measured a Jointenna, even though I have access to the equipment to do so. The trap on a Jointenna is a low Q 2 element lumped constant filter.

I'd say that the 7777 preamp has too much gain. I seen many of your posts, but I don't recall what else you may have tried. The HDP-269 is suggested in cases of potential preamp overload. Based on the TVFool report, an HDP-269 has just enough gain with the reflector-less 4228 if the feedline is less than 50' and there is no splitter.

If you have a splitter try the AP-8700 instead, but it too may overload on channel 50.

Consider instead a simple low pass filter with a cut-off between channel 44 and channel 50 (~668 MHz). Install it between the antenna and preamp.

I didn't install his current setup, but I will tell him to try what you have suggested. Thanks very much for your help.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page