HDTV pq looks better than my other HD sources - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We decided to just watch ota be signal to save money. But its picture quality is much better than when I watch hd dvds or when we watched Comcast hd. Could it of been the cheap hdmi cable from Walmart or something else? My tv is the TCP42c2. Entry level but it kind of confuses me when a antenna hd signal has better pq than an hdmi sources. Sorry if its the wrong section but just looking for ideas. I'm thinking the hmdi cable? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalElite View Post

We decided to just watch ota be signal to save money. But its picture quality is much better than when I watch hd dvds or when we watched Comcast hd. Could it of been the cheap hdmi cable from Walmart or something else?

Something else. An HDMI cable either works or not. A more expensive cable will not make HD look better.

Quote:

My tv is the TCP42c2. Entry level but it kind of confuses me when a antenna hd signal has better pq than an hdmi sources.

Getting the HD signal with an antenna is getting HD directly from the source. It will almost always look as good or better than getting the same channel from cable or sat.

HD video disks, like HD DVD or Blu-ray are a different story. HD DVD & BD have much more data than broadcast channels, and all things being equal should look better than other HD sources. Much better.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for summing it up for me lol. Learn something new everyday. I was waiting to get a ps3 or bd player once we upgrade our tv to a true 1080p. So blu ray would blow away my hd dvd player (up converting) even though my tv is only 720p/1080i? Thanks again, just started getting the HT itch lol.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for summing it up for me lol. Learn something new everyday. I was waiting to get a ps3 or bd player once we upgrade our tv to a true 1080p. So blu ray would blow away my hd dvd player (up converting) even though my tv is only 720p/1080i? Thanks again, just started getting the HT itch lol.

Ah, so you don't have an HD disk player, only an upconverting DVD? If so, yes, a BD player (or PS3 playing BD) will look dramatically better than even your antenna HD channels (OTA = over-the-air).

post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Ken! Sucks to know I wasted money on the "up converting player". Oh well thanks again
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks again Ken! Sucks to know I wasted money on the "up converting player". Oh well thanks again

Forgot to add that even with a BD player (or PS3), you'll get the same results as now with your existing DVD's. To get HD quality, you'll need the BD player and BD disks.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

And you dont need an upconverting player because your TV has to scale SD up to HD resolution (regardless of the source resolution) anyway. You can plug a VHS deck via composite video right into the TV and it'll work just fine.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Generally speaking, OTA is less compressed than cable or satellite so the pq is better, but that depends on how well you can pick up the signal and other factors. As was pointed out before, a BD player will give you the best pq but don't feel bad about an upconverting DVD player. A good BD player will make those old DVDs look better upconverted and Blu-rays will look amazing.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page