Is this coaxial cable tri-shield or quad-shield? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to figure out which F (coaxial) connector I need for the coaxial cable I have; the RG-6 tri-shield or RG-6U quad-shield connector?

The cable spool label says this:
Code:
RG6/U
18 AWG SOLID BARE COPPER
ALUM SHIELD & BRAID JACKET
The quad-shield connector seems like the obvious choice but I read somewhere that if the cable doesn't explicitly say "quad" or "Q" on it, its not actually quad-shield. So basically I'm confused.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
If it doesn't call out quad shield, or 'QS', then it's not.

RG6/U is not quad shield. You need an RG6 connector.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

So go with this instead (Male F Connector for RG-6 Tri-Shield)?: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=8573
post #4 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe I don't get out much, but I've not heard of the term tri-shield in reference to coax cable. Although it could be a special product Monoprice carries, more than likely it's a regular RG6, and the connector would work fine for the cable you have.

I'd call Monoprice and ask them. They are very supportive with this kind of info.

post #5 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is a tri-shielded product that has been highly touted here based on its reported superior shielding effectiveness, though I have never heard a plausible reason why such a product would have characteristics superior to quad.

Cable companies use quad shield because it can withstand a hack and still adequately limit the egress, which is what they really care about, as they are responsible for limiting the "cumulative leakage" of their systems. When consumers base product purchases on shielding ratings, they are usually wasting their time and money.

FWIW, PPC "EX-" series connectors, available on eBay, fit on just about everything.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Maybe I don't get out much, but I've not heard of the term tri-shield in reference to coax cable.

Belden makes tri-shield (foil, braid, foil) coax. IIRC their name for it is Duobond Plus.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Belden makes tri-shield (foil, braid, foil) coax. IIRC their name for it is Duobond Plus.

Isn't that their standard coax?

post #8 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what one would say is Belden's standard cable, they make so many varieties. They do make cable with a single braid, and a single foil shield, if that is what you are asking.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Not sure what one would say is Belden's standard cable, they make so many varieties. They do make cable with a single braid, and a single foil shield, if that is what you are asking.

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. I've dealt with a Belden catalog before, but its been awhile. For the various types of coax, do they have specific connectors for each one, or other?

Thx.

post #10 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

When consumers base product purchases on shielding ratings, they are usually wasting their time and money.

Its starting to look like you're right. Monoprice sells ONLY quad-shield coaxial/F type cable which indicates its most likely the best type to use. Problem is I spent $20 for this 1000 foot RG-6 spool (probably only double or tri shield) because I thought it was a steal (vs. $150) and helped me stay with my $100 budget for running coaxial AND networking cables throughout my new house. Needless to say I was very naive and wrong with the budget.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to run this double or tri-shield cable I currently have because of budgetary reasons (I'll re-run with quad shield cable later when I can budget it). What kind of issues/problems should I expect to run into with the current double/tri-shield cable in terms or service, picture quality or even Internet connectivity?
post #11 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^^^

Personally, I'd be afraid of it. Running cable drops is a lot of work. Coax for $0.02 per foot? Did that include shipping?

There's more to coax than the shielding (Quad or otherwise). There's also the makeup of the dielectric, What is that made of? Maybe the same stuff they put in that Chinese sheetrock?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #12 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I pay $.06 per foot for coax, which includes shipping. I've bought and installed several miles of cheap coax over the last few decades, and I've never had a problem with any even though, unlike most installers, my customers have my name and phone number and I have a lot of the same customers I picked up when I started my current business in this market in 1995.

DirecTV mandates the use of PPC EX6XL connectors on its installations. They aren't any better than any other connectors, so the reason for the mandate is surely a cozy relationship whereby DirecTV get millions of connectors at a favorable price for its own use in exchange for which PPC gets the negotiating leverage to command a higher price from the installers who are required to buy that product. The eBay price for these connectors went up about 40% once they became the DirecTV mandated product, but they still are cheap and more importantly for you, they have fit onto every coax I have tried except for one really old (like 30 year old) quad shield flooded jacket buryable coax with an extra thick outer jacket. I still use crimp connectors with .357-.360 ID sleeves when I work at that site, which is a campground with over 300 drops.

If you search on eBay for them, just make sure you buy the ones that end in -XL, which is PPC's abbreviation for extra long, but that means they are the industry-standard length and can be compressed with the industry standard tool. If you buy PPC connectors that are not -XL, most tools won't compress them, though there is one that Home Depot sells with a length adjustment feature that can be set to compress them.

Here is a typical eBay "Buy it Now" auction for that product:

50 PPC EX6XL RG6 COMPRESSION CONNECTORS, $9.50 plus $2.49 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-PPC-EX6XL...item2568fa4028
post #13 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post

Its starting to look like you're right. Monoprice sells ONLY quad-shield coaxial/F type cable which indicates its most likely the best type to use.

No, it indicates it is the product that they can induce customers to pay the most money for.

I once installed an off-air antenna on a new house that was prewired, and I connected their four TVs to it. A few days later, the customer called me back to repair the system. They said they were sure the problem was something I did because, "The only thing we changed is that we connected a better wire to one of the TVs".

I guess they were embarassed to see their nice, expensive TV connected to their wallplate using nickel plated crimp connectors (compression connectors hadn't yet been invented). Her $15 Monster Cable had gold plated connectors with knurled bodies and coiled spring strain reliefs. I cut the ends off her Monster Cable and crimped on two, fifteen cent connectors and that restored her service.

If you are running satellite TV through a couple hundred feet of coax, then you need to pay for copper center conductor coax because it has a lower voltage drop, but as far as shielding is concerned, unless you physically hack through the outer two shielding layers of your coax, you get no benefit from having two additional layers.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I actually got this $20 coaxial cable off someone on Craig's List. The spool's metal parts are rusting a bit (as if the the spool was sitting somewhere forgotten for a decade or so) which leads me to think its too old to even be tri-shield (it actually says BI-FOIL +BRAID on the cable itself).

Anyhoo, I'll run it anyway. Thanks everyone and I'll post my results when its done.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

For the various types of coax, do they have specific connectors for each one, or other?

Yes, different connectors are sometimes required for different cables of the same nominal type, e.g. RG6. IOW not all RG6 connectors fit all RG6 cables properly. And it is more than just RG6 v. RG6QS. Belden has cross references for their cables against major manufacturers connectors. Some manufacturers' connectors are compatible with a wider range of cables than others. That said, often the "wrong" connector works well enough if you can get it on securely. And connectors like the Snap-N-Seal line seem to be very tolerant of the differences between cables.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I was nervous about running that cable so I went to Home Depot and picked up some quad-shield cable since it wasn't as expensive as Monoprice ($150 for 1000 feet vs. $57 for 500 feet at Home Depot). And of course I'll order the quad shield F connectors, stripper and compression tool from Monoprice (they're cheaper there).

Crisis averted. Thanks everyone!
post #17 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post

I actually got this $20 coaxial cable off someone on Craig's List. The spool's metal parts are rusting a bit (as if the the spool was sitting somewhere forgotten for a decade or so) which leads me to think its too old to even be tri-shield (it actually says BI-FOIL +BRAID on the cable itself).

Anyhoo, I'll run it anyway. Thanks everyone and I'll post my results when its done.

Be very careful when you get hold of cable spools that look like they've been outside. I ran several runs of Triax (TV Camera cable) for a couple of Olympics studios, using cut-off's from another project, and found that the shielding braid had wicked-up water in to the cable and ruined it. They had been stored with the bottom reel sitting on the ground. Even removing 30-40 feet of it still showed bad corrosion....it may have been the entire spool.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #18 of 19 Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

I guess they were embarassed to see their nice, expensive TV connected to their wallplate using nickel plated crimp connectors (compression connectors hadn't yet been invented). Her $15 Monster Cable had gold plated connectors with knurled bodies and coiled spring strain reliefs. I cut the ends off her Monster Cable and crimped on two, fifteen cent connectors.

Your solution to the problem is to cut off the ends and put on crimp connectors on wiring they replaced because they didn't lilke the crimp connectors in the first place? I'm not sure why that was done instead of simply exchanging the wire. I'm bothered that the monster wire didnt work and I still want to know why.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post

Your solution to the problem is to cut off the ends and put on crimp connectors on wiring they replaced because they didn't lilke the crimp connectors in the first place? I'm not sure why that was done instead of simply exchanging the wire. I'm bothered that the monster wire didnt work and I still want to know why.

It wasn't done because I was not going to drive from their house to wherever they bought the Monster cable and exchange it for them, nor was I going to wait for them to do that.

I've also had a few Radio Shack cables with molded ends fail. Either the center conductor is fractured or she shield was not trimmed properly. I'll never know which conductor was interrupted because I can't see the actual connection points of either conductor.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page