Internet HDTV with Internet Blu Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm a n00b, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am considering getting a 55" or 60" HDTV. I've been researching on Amazon and Consumerreports.com, and have it down between the Panasonic Viera TC-P60S30 and the LG 60PV450 (I don't want to spend too much money). Anyway, I have two issues:

1) I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player with internet (I think they call it Viera-Cast), and want to know if getting the TV with internet would be redundant.

2) If anyone has experience with these two TVs, what makes one superior to the other. I want it mostly for sports and some movies, but I'm not crazy into fine aspects of picture quality. That being said, I care more about picture quality than sound, just as long as the sound is not terrible.

Sidebar: is it just me, or has the price of TVs gone down significantly over the last six months?

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to be pouring over all the info on a lot of these forums.

kylers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 244
FWIW, when I purchased my LCD in January, I specifically didn't want one with internet capabilites. My rationale was that it would be one more thing that could possibly go wrong with my set and if it had to be repaired, I'd be without tv during the repair period. At that time, the cost of a good BD player, with internet, was less than the difference between a tv with internet capability. However, that part may not be true anymore. I also felt that a BD player with internet would be more robust and easier to upgrade than the tv (upgrading only affected the BD player and not the tv). To me, redundancy is not that big of a deal. I have an AppleTV2 and a Panasonic BDT-210 BD player. Both have Netflix, etc. The ATV2 has some apps that the Panasonic doesn't have and vice versa. The ATV2 only stream in 720p whereas I can stream 1080i via Vudu from the Panasonic. So I sort of have the best of both. Your choice of tv's are good and will probably suit your viewing needs (I have an LG so I'm a bit biased in that direction). The audio on my LG was ok but using a HTS with *any* tv is really the way to go.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylers View Post

1) I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player with internet (I think they call it Viera-Cast), and want to know if getting the TV with internet would be redundant.

Depending on how old the BD player is, it may be redundant. If the BD player is relatively new and a Panasonic, and the HDTV is the Panasonic, it would have the exact same Internet apps. If you got the LG, you'd at least have some different apps from the two different brands.

Quote:

Sidebar: is it just me, or has the price of TVs gone down significantly over the last six months?

Prices of sets with comparable performance has gone down. Prices of top of the line are still high.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Depending on how old the BD player is, it may be redundant. If the BD player is relatively new and a Panasonic, and the HDTV is the Panasonic, it would have the exact same Internet apps.

I bought the Blu-Ray player back in April. It is a 3D Blu-Ray, and I'm not all that interested in 3D. Do you guys find that it works and is enough of a substantial improvement?

Quote:
If you got the LG, you'd at least have some different apps from the two different brands.

The LG wouldn't have internet, so I don't know if it would have apps. I last bought a TV two years ago. It seems like a lot has changed since then.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylers View Post

I bought the Blu-Ray player back in April. It is a 3D Blu-Ray, and I'm not all that interested in 3D. Do you guys find that it works and is enough of a substantial improvement?

The LG wouldn't have internet, so I don't know if it would have apps. I last bought a TV two years ago. It seems like a lot has changed since then.

The BD player that I have, Panasonic BDT-210, is also a 2D-3D player but I don't have a 3D set. I bought it because of the DVD-BD features and the fact that it has built-in WiFi (no additional USB WiFi adapters). The BD player works very well and is a nice complement to the tv. If the Panasonic tv has internet, it will have the same apps that the Panasonic BD player has so there's redundancy with no "extra" options. Apps only come on tv's with interent capability so your potential setup sounds like mine. I have the LG 47LD520 (no internet capability), the Panasonic BDT-210 (built-in WiFi), and an AppleTV2 ( internet capability with some apps that are different from the Panasonic).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page