OMG (LOL).....LOOK AT THESE USER REVIEWS! $1080.00 3 foot HDMI Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 951

---------
UPDATE (01-Feb-12)
This is from Amazon. These guys KNOW HOW TO WRITE!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------
UPDATE (25-Jan-12)
You have got to see the latest reviews!
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/2383...ws/reviews.htm
They've *really* gotten good. I'm dying laughing here.
---------

This is absolutely hysterical. Look at the guys rating this [stupid] thing a 5/5. They shouldn't have done that, but they did so so that you would read their reviews. LOL....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQue...ustomerreviews

Oh man. This hyper inflated nonsense has got to stop. I remember the *marginal* arguments by Monster Cable in the analog days, but this stuff? LOL.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny stuff, but I'll stick with the 12 ft. HDMI cables I just purchased for $5.95 at Home Depot on Black Friday. Don't need them at this time, but I figured at that price I might as well buy two and put them away for future use. 1's and 0's look the same no matter what cable you buy.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The reviews seem to be people actually making fun of the price through sarcasm. If any one actually bought one of these I would like to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

The reviews seem to be people actually making fun of the price through sarcasm. If any one actually bought one of these I would like to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge.

That's the whole point---it was very well written (IMO) sarcasm. LOL. I placed in my facebook page a notice that if anyone tries to sell them an expensive HDMI cable to call my cell immediately.

Here's another thing: on the BB site I don't think you /can/ review something you didn't purchase. So I'm wondering if a bunch of your members here bought+returned them. Hopefully with no 20% ($200) restocking fee.

[EDIT: You CAN write a review without buying them. Good. The @#$%ers deserve this, though I hope people actually read them.]

Oh man, where is organized crime when you need them. I can't imagine what would happen if Tony Soprano discovered he was sold a cable at a stupid price.

Here's a good link
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-are-the-same/
for folks who ponder this stuff to read. It may be 1% too much on the other side, but I like the fundamentals presented there and it's a perfect start for the non-techies (if you know any) (haha) to get a glimmer as to what's what.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Pentagon will probabl buy them for use on all military aircraft! I'm sure there are no tv's on military aircraft, but that didn't stop them from once spending around $600 for ashtrays even though smoking is not allowed on board!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

The Pentagon will probabl buy them for use on all military aircraft! I'm sure there are no tv's on military aircraft, but that didn't stop them from once spending around $600 for ashtrays even though smoking is not allowed on board!

I've heard so much stuff on both sides of that argument that it got me dizzy. Sometimes you can't tell what's an urban legend, or if what refutes an urban legend is ITSELF a worse urban legend, etc.

Did you see the audioquest.com site pricelist? Their analog cables are NUTS! P.T.Barnum would have rephrased his saying once the internet showed up: There is a sucker born every millisecond.

There is good business sense to this though. Why sell X things for Y dollars when you can sell 1 thing to 1 idiot for X times Y dollars?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I wandered into BestBuy to look at tv's, and one of the grunts wandered by asking politely if I wanted help.

I asked him: I'm curious---have you guys ever sold any of those 1 meter long $1100 HDMI cables from AudioQuest.

His reply: "yeah!", as in "sure! why wouldn't we?". Oh jeez.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Can you guess which review is mine?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is awesome.. I'm trying so hard not to laugh out loud at this greatness.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

This is awesome.. I'm trying so hard not to laugh out loud at this greatness.

I know. I love the one about competing with the neighbor. And the one who said how pretty a cable it was. When I was reading this my wife kept asking me what I was laughing at because I had tears running down my face...

I also love that some of the suggested accessories are cheap cables. LOL...

We should siphon this off someplace before it goes viral and BB squashes it.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

can you guess which review is mine? :d

which???? "For My Grandmother" ??????

That one sort of stole my thunder.

BTW, I was wondering what you all thought of this: What if we concoct our own HDMI cable using the most preposterous stuff on earth just to see how bad it can be and still work. Obviously (maybe) most of it wouldn't work, but we might be pleasantly surprised at what DID work. Would make a HELL of a youtube vid.

8 gauge house electrical wire.
Picture hanging wire
metal hangar
car jumper cables
etc., for each conduit.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

We should siphon this off someplace before it goes viral and BB squashes it.

Agreed..I can't believe Best Buy (or Audio Quest) hasn't caught on to what is going on here...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Well crap! Should I take my cables back then?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Liked: 13
Pure gold there on the reviews guys.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed..I can't believe Best Buy (or Audio Quest) hasn't caught on to what is going on here...

I took the first level of the 3 pages and pasted them into a Word doc, so much of the format and images are there. Sort of. But it's missing the responding comments. We need more of an HTML utility for this.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

As I sit here watching a certain tv commercial it just hit me that it's too bad BB doesn't sell the genie bra...

Bob

Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

As I sit here watching a certain tv commercial it just hit me that it's too bad BB doesn't sell the genie bra...

Did you not check the As Seen On TV section in Best-Buy...

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Did you not check the As Seen On TV section in Best-Buy...

We should have a lawyer pool going. Best guess as to when the class action suit over this @#$% shows up. Monster / AudioQuest / BB / etc., etc., etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Well crap! Should I take my cables back then?

(rounding) Well your restocking fee is only $220. So if you do that, and then buy it for $750 from ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audioquest-D...item35b75f787c

Then you'll still be almost $130 ahead!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alllllllright guys. Fess-up.

Who wrote what

Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(rounding) well your restocking fee is only $220. So if you do that, and then buy it for $750 from ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/audioquest-d...item35b75f787c

then you'll still be almost $130 ahead!

:d
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

:d

Besides, it's a good investment. Nothing is ever more than 1m away from a tv.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Besides, it's a good investment. Nothing is ever 1m away from a tv.

I like stacking my components as close together as possible. It saves on the house heating bills. Maybe I'll reconsider
Old 12-01-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like stacking my components as close together as possible. It saves on the house heating bills. Maybe I'll reconsider

Plus, if you stack them high enough it gives the cat something to climb on.

Bob

Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The comments about the cable being an investment in precious metals are hilarious!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Wow, lots more reviews on that link from the last time I looked
I like the guy who said it made his 20 year old Toshiba VCR look HD and the other fella who saved so much money on his cheap black Friday HDTV he could spend it on this HDMI cable to make it look good
Every reviewer I checked only had reviewed this one item....suspicious.....
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 AM

I noticed that it is now $1095 instead of $1080. Does that mean it doesn't do 1080p anymore?

However, I am holding out on purchasing until it is $4,096 - no use buying now when I might have to upgrade in a couple of years.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post

I noticed that it is now $1095 instead of $1080. Does that mean it doesn't do 1080p anymore?

However, I am holding out on purchasing until it is $4,096 - no use buying now when I might have to upgrade in a couple of years.

No, I think the price was my mistake. I got bestbuy confused with another site that had the $1095 cable on a "Black Friday 1 hour only!!!!" sale for $1080. (lol, everything about this is hysterical!)

Maybe they thought they could break the famous $1 per scanline price barrier...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe Autdioquest knows about this already and is leaving it up because it's showing 28 5-star and 2 4-star reviews and they know that most people look only at the numbers and not the reviews?

This might be backfiring and cause an increase in ignorant hosings.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe Autdioquest knows about this already and is leaving it up because it's showing 28 5-star and 2 4-star reviews and they know that most people look only at the numbers and not the reviews?

This might be backfiring and cause an increase in ignorant hosings.

My feeling on that..is.. if people are a) ignorant and stupid enough or b) have more dollars than sense and buy this cable..then good for audioquest..they can laugh all the way to the bank..the same way jerry springer does...

Bob