Marshalltown, Iowa: Help with choosing indoor (attic) antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at antennas for a while, and can't decide which would be the best for our needs. Currently I am using a Phillips Mant940 with its supplied preamp and am able pick up all of the green and yellow stations listed here except for 5. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec122e20949b7a
7 and 9 can be touch a go some days, but most of the time they come in. Considering the distance we are from the towers, I have been quite pleased with it's performance. The bedroom tv's each have a Mant940 in them as well (getting mostly only the green stations).
What I would like to do is get a stronger antenna and preamp in the attic and run that is able to be split at least to our 3 main tvs. I would like to pick up channel 5 and have a more stable signal with 7 and 9. Since my signals come from opposite directions I am unsure of what would be the best type of antenna to use, or if there is a way to combine 2 antennas, each pointing opposite of each other.
I know a roof top antenna would be ideal, but I bought one about 9 years ago and it is still in the shed waiting for my husband to put it up. At this point I can see that it is not going to happen , so I would like something I could set up in the attic myself.
I appreciate any advice you could give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The antenna you have now is a UHF only antenna. Thats why you can't get 5,7 and 9 because those are VHF channels.
You need a lowVHF/high VHF/UHF antenna similiar to this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11000532

If the one you have in the shed is similiar, then that would work. You might not even need an amp. Try one TV first. If the signal starts breaking up after you split the signal to the other TV's, then you need an amp.
Also make sure the antenna is pointing towards the towers to the WSW

Is the antenna still in the box? What does it say on the box?

It looks as if you are between 2 markets, one to the SW (Des Moines) and one to the NE(Cedar Rapids). Which one do you primarily watch?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the one in the box is quite large, too large for the attic. Original plans were for a rooftop antenna, but that is not going to happen. Would one of these be a good choice? http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B000EHWCDW

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B000FVVKQM
post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No, do not select either the DB8 or the 4228. They are both UHF antennas such as you already have. As pointed out, you need a large, conventional, all-channel (2-69) antenna or some combination of antennas that offers the same coverage if you want ALL of the channels available to you.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

The antenna you have now is a UHF only antenna. Thats why you can't get 5,7 and 9 because those are VHF channels.
You need a lowVHF/high VHF/UHF antenna similiar to this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11000532

If the one you have in the shed is similiar, then that would work. You might not even need an amp. Try one TV first. If the signal starts breaking up after you split the signal to the other TV's, then you need an amp.
Also make sure the antenna is pointing towards the towers to the WSW

Is the antenna still in the box? What does it say on the box?

It looks as if you are between 2 markets, one to the SW (Des Moines) and one to the NE(Cedar Rapids). Which one do you primarily watch?

We watch both markets pretty much equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

No, do not select either the DB8 or the 4228. They are both UHF antennas such as you already have. As pointed out, you need a large, conventional, all-channel (2-69) antenna or some combination of antennas that offers the same coverage if you want ALL of the channels available to you.

I will probably need a combination of antennas then, because we have a steep roof and and I need to still be able to walk in the attic. Most of the uhf/vhf antennas I have looked at have a width of 8ft which would be too large for my area.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 AM

i realize this reply is late

You might consider some omni directional vhf/uhf antennas

Or you might consider one with a rotor

Basically the biggest antenna that will fit in your attic, the better. The TDP Electronics Omni-State Omni-Directional Antenna from amazon looks like a good one.

I will say also, that some of those bigger uhf antennas like the channel master 4228 will very often bring in some vhf high channels.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If channel 5 is not a must-have, a 4228HD with the reflector bars cut off may work for most of your UHF and strong (yellow & green) VHF-HI channels. For ch 5, you'll probably need the long elements of an all-channel VHF/UHF antenna.

Attic reception is impossible to predict, particularly with VHF channels that have trouble penetrating many building materials.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't purchased anything yet, but I will check out the ones that were suggested. I appreciate the replies!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page