TV in 60099? possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
we recently got our cable cut (times are hard) and now we are out of a way to watch TV, my dad purchased an RCA ANT1460RB antenna from wal mart but it did not pick up any channels possibly because we were more than 25 miles from the stations which are in Chicago. We also went to all the stores around here and could not find any antennas with a range beyond 30 miles. So the question is what indoor antenna do I need to buy to be able to watch TV here in 60099? How could these TV stations and antenna manufacturers make it so hard for one to watch TV nowadays? And why are these stores selling antennas that aren't compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you describe your situation more? Do you live in a valley, for example? Is this an apartment? Looking at the TVFool report at just the zip code level ... you are swimming in signal.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Liked: 19
I used to live in Lake County and still visit because I have family there. There isn't any reason way can't get in stations from both Chicago and Milwaukee. You can't go by milage ratings on antennas that's all BS.

Did you do a channel scan? Make sure you have the set to can AIR and not cable. I am assuming you have a TV with a digital tuner. What is the model of your TV?

I can't find that exact model number of that antenna there is a 1450BR but I assume it's one of those flat ones that look sqaure. I also assume it's amplified and if so that's probably you're problem. Also where do you have the antenna placed? Hopefully not ON the TV or near any other electronics.

Just in case post a TVfool report. Use you actual adress. It's hidden in the result so no one will know wher you live

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #4 of 30 Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I used to live in Lake County and still visit because I have family there. There isn't any reason way can't get in stations from both Chicago and Milwaukee. You can't go by milage ratings on antennas that's all BS.

Did you do a channel scan? Make sure you have the set to can AIR and not cable. I am assuming you have a TV with a digital tuner. What is the model of your TV?

I can't find that exact model number of that antenna there is a 1450BR but I assume it's one of those flat ones that look sqaure. I also assume it's amplified and if so that's probably you're problem. Also where do you have the antenna placed? Hopefully not ON the TV or near any other electronics.

Just in case post a TVfool report. Use you actual adress. It's hidden in the result so no one will know wher you live

yea the 1450BR is what I was talking about,it had an amp. It was sitting near the Sony bravia 42" TV during this time and it wasn't till i moved it away when it started to pick up channels. Probably should hang it up then right? here's my report and according to it that antenna should have worked to be able to pick up all the main stations. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12e25b992711
post #5 of 30 Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You do not need an amplified antenna for the channels in green on your TVFool report. In fact, an amp will likely overload the tuner and make reception worse, not better. This specific unamplified antenna from RS should get your channels of interest. It performs better than similar looking antennas sold at walmart.

To avoid interference, place the antenna as far away from all other electronics as possible, including the TV. Add a longer coax with a barrel splice, also sold at RS.

Extend the VHF dipole rods about half length.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

we recently got our cable cut (times are hard) and now we are out of a way to watch TV, my dad purchased an RCA ANT1460RB antenna from wal mart but it did not pick up any channels

Let's look at the obvious to some of us, the obscure to those who haven't run into it before.

Are you hooked up to the antenna connector on the TV if there are 2?

Have you put the TV in antenna mode (ATSC) if there is just 1?

Have you scanned with the above resolved?

My GUESS is one of the above.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

Let's look at the obvious to some of us, the obscure to those who haven't run into it before.

Are you hooked up to the antenna connector on the TV if there are 2?

Have you put the TV in antenna mode (ATSC) if there is just 1?

Have you scanned with the above resolved?

My GUESS is one of the above.

done all of these.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:

yea the 1450BR is what I was talking about,it had an amp. It was sitting near the Sony bravia 42" TV during this time and it wasn't till i moved it away when it started to pick up channels. Probably should hang it up then right? here's my report and according to it that antenna should have worked to be able to pick up all the main stations. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12e25b992711

Yes you should hang it up to get it away from the TV. The TV can cause interfernce. According to what I read the amp on that antenna is removeable. I would do that. So after moving the antenna and removing the map rescan for channels and see what comes up. If you're not familiar with digital OTA I can tell you you're going to get in a plenty of subchannels in that area. So lots of TV for you. Also just to let you no. Not alll digital signals are in HD especially the subchannels. So don't think something is wrong if some of the channels don't look HD. All the main network stations in that area are in HD though.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:

done all of these.

Great! But still nothing. At this point, I'd guess that EITHER the TV is defective, or the antenna cable is defective; a paperclip in the jack should get something with your signals.

I'd suggest that paperclip (really an 6" to 18" piece of wire; I have used a strand of cat5 before) and try that. If still nothing, I'd try to borrow a small set and try it at various locations to be sure there isn't a major problem.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes you should hang it up to get it away from the TV. The TV can cause interfernce. According to what I read the amp on that antenna is removeable. I would do that. So after moving the antenna and removing the map rescan for channels and see what comes up. If you're not familiar with digital OTA I can tell you you're going to get in a plenty of subchannels in that area. So lots of TV for you. Also just to let you no. Not alll digital signals are in HD especially the subchannels. So don't think something is wrong if some of the channels don't look HD. All the main network stations in that area are in HD though.

Well we already took that antenna back to WalMart so I'm going to go pick up and try the $12 radio shack one
Quote:

Great! But still nothing. At this point, I'd guess that EITHER the TV is defective, or the antenna cable is defective; a paperclip in the jack should get something with your signals.

I'd suggest that paperclip (really an 6" to 18" piece of wire; I have used a strand of cat5 before) and try that. If still nothing, I'd try to borrow a small set and try it at various locations to be sure there isn't a major problem.

I know there isn't a problem because it worked flawlessly with the standard cable wire before it got shut off. Going to pick up and try a different antenna today.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Next thing - you do realize you need to have your TV scan for Air channels, right ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #12 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Scooper, he said he had checked that.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM

He said he did that. He's already admited he was using an ampflied antenna that was sitting on the TV. I'm 100% sure that was his issue considering his signal streangth.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well we already took that antenna back to WalMart so I'm going to go pick up and try the $12 radio shack one

Your stations are 41 miles away. If you are going to use an indoor antenna, you need to place it as high as you can, facing South out a window if possible. You might consider putting it in the attic.

If it works, great. Otherwise, a more conventional antenna in the attic or outside like this would probably give better results:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3739595

That RCA 1450 you had is not a great antenna.
post #15 of 30 Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Your stations are 41 miles away. If you are going to use an indoor antenna, you need to place it as high as you can, facing South out a window if possible. You might consider putting it in the attic.

If it works, great. Otherwise, a more conventional antenna in the attic or outside like this would probably give better results:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3739595

That RCA 1450 you had is not a great antenna.

Dude I know the area. He doesn't need an outdoor over even an attict antenna. Maybe for Milwaukee he would.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well the paperclip/safety pin idea did not work. Should have that $13 antenna from RS today. Hopefully it will work.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Well the paperclip/safety pin idea did not work. Should have that $13 antenna from RS today. Hopefully it will work.

I could have told you that. Anyways you shouldn't be having issues with recption unless the TV is in a basement or your house is stucco( uncommon in that area ) or has aluminum siding.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or foil backed insulation in the walls, along with Low-e glass in the windows.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Or foil backed insulation in the walls, along with Low-e glass in the windows.

I suspect that a TV signal would travel though low-e galss 10X better than through the walls that may be made of wood or brick.
post #20 of 30 Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV signals do not penetrate low-e glass well at all.
post #21 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

TV signals do not penetrate low-e glass well at all.

Antenna A placed in front of a wall made with drywall, regular insulation and brick on the outside.

Antenna B is placed in front of a window with low-e glass right next to Antenna A on the same wall.

Antenna B's reception will be MUCH better.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I could have told you that. Anyways you shouldn't be having issues with recption unless the TV is in a basement or your house is stucco( uncommon in that area ) or has aluminum siding.

so if I were to hook that RS antenna up in the basement to the splitter where the cable line is so it can serve all the TVs instead of one it wouldn't work?
post #23 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

so if I were to hook that RS antenna up in the basement to the splitter where the cable line is so it can serve all the TVs instead of one it wouldn't work?

You might have issues with that. Firstly because you have the antenna in the basement. Then you're wanting to split the signals. If you are wanting to split the signals like that you might need an amp. The only way you'll know is to just hook the thing up. First thing you need to do is hook the antenna to the TV in the basement and see what the reception is like. If the reception is bad or marginal then it probbaly won't handle being split.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably not. That antenna needs to able to "see" the towers. If its in the basement, your not going to get a signal.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic edited.

Enough of the personal comments. Keep on topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #26 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It should be noted that in the Chicago market, of which I happen to be in, also, half of those "lots of subchannels" are absolutely worthless to the average person, and will more than likely end up being blocked from most viewer's channel lists.
post #27 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

It should be noted that in the Chicago market, of which I happen to be in, also, half of those "lots of subchannels" are absolutely worthless to the average person, and will more than likely end up being blocked from most viewer's channel lists.

"worthless" is a bit subjective. religious an spanish channels are "worthless" to me but I'm aware that other people enjoy such programming. And unlike cable I am not forced to pay for those channels.
post #28 of 30 Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Liked: 32
For one, who cares where you used to live, or why daddy cut the cable. The point is, have you gone to tvfool and entered your address to see what kind of antenna that you need.

On the other hand, outdoor up on a mast, with a rotor works the best, when it comes to OTA. Always has, ever since people started to place an antenna in the home, but rotors did not really come into play, until the late 50's.
post #29 of 30 Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

For one, who cares where you used to live, or why daddy cut the cable. The point is, have you gone to tvfool and entered your address to see what kind of antenna that you need.

WHAT in the .... are you talking about? Why are you even posting here? The thread title is TV in 60099? possible? and then you say who cares where you live. Well why are you posting here then if you don't care? Did the OP go to TVFool? Um yes. If you READ you'd see that he did. It's the 4th post in this thread. How hard would it have been for you to go 4 posts down? Also even with a TVfool report sometime people need help. That's kind of what this board if for. Then you blast the guy for asking for help? As I said, WHY are you posting here? It's certainly not to help the guy out with his reception issue since all you did was be rude to him with your post. If you're not here to help then stay out of threads asking for help.
post #30 of 30 Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Ok, that's enough.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page