New York, NY - Mid Town East Antenna Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently moved into a 5th floor studio in Mid Town East. I've decided not to do cable and consequently started looking at indoor antennas. So far I've narrowed it down to the Mohu Leaf (with amp(?) & if so, recommendations?), Terk HDTVa or Winegard SS-3000. I'm not sure which to chose or even if I'm on the right track. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moved to correct forum.

Go to TV Fool and post your info in this topic, for specific advice.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoss View Post

I recently moved into a 5th floor studio in Mid Town East. I've decided not to do cable and consequently started looking at indoor antennas. So far I've narrowed it down to the Mohu Leaf (with amp(?) & if so, recommendations?), Terk HDTVa or Winegard SS-3000. I'm not sure which to chose or even if I'm on the right track. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You probably be fine with just a basic antenna from radio Shack like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103077

You do not need an amp.

But your problem is you are within stones throw of the ESB where your TV signals are transmitting from. You might have too much gain and multipath. Do you have line of sight to the ESB?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An amplified antenna is not the right track if you are close to the ESB. In fact, an attenuator may even be needed. The antenna mikepier linked to is very good for nearby reception and may be just what you need. You can also return it to RS if it doesn't work.

You have stations broadcasting in both the UHF & VHF bands.
The mohu leaf antenna is primarily for the UHF band only. If considering it, I would only buy it from a place that allows returns.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have line of sight to the ESB... I'm not sure what you mean by "The antenna mikepier linked to is very good for nearby reception" - can you clarify?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The specific model VHF+UHF antenna he suggested might work well at your location. Click this>
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103077
post #7 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the TV stations transmit off the ESB. You could probably use a paper clip and it will pick up stations .
That same antenna will not work for me because I am 25 miles away on Long Island, too far away from the ESB for an indoor antenna (I've already confirmed that), at least to get channels reliably without breakups. And Channels 7,9 and 11 are harder to get indoors because those are VHF channels. So I use a conventional outdoor antenna attached to my chimney.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 PM

"That same antenna will not work for me because I am 25 miles away on Long Island, too far away from the ESB for an indoor antenna (I've already confirmed that)"

Did you actually try the Leaf Antenna? I live 36 miles away in Central NJ, and pick up the same NYC stations you appear to be seeking, including hard to get ABC (vhf). Trick was to move the antenna to garage vent (to avoid interference from aluminum siding). Now I get all all the stations I could ask for (including two vhf ABCs). When I mount the leaf near a window on the other side of my house, I pick up about 20 Philly stations (many 50+ miles away).

Hope your able to pick up the channels you're looking for!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspears View Post

"That same antenna will not work for me because I am 25 miles away on Long Island, too far away from the ESB for an indoor antenna (I've already confirmed that)"

Did you actually try the Leaf Antenna? I live 36 miles away in Central NJ, and pick up the same NYC stations you appear to be seeking, including hard to get ABC (vhf). Trick was to move the antenna to garage vent (to avoid interference from aluminum siding). Now I get all all the stations I could ask for (including two vhf ABCs). When I mount the leaf near a window on the other side of my house, I pick up about 20 Philly stations (many 50+ miles away).

Hope your able to pick up the channels you're looking for!

Yeah I heard of the Leaf, but my intention was to put an antenna outside anyway because I am feeding 3 TV's with no amp, which so far its been working great. I have an old Radio Shack VU-75 XR on the chimney that seems to do good. I can even pull in the 2 NJ stations (WNJN & WNJB).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page