DTV problems in 60099 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 218 Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Or as suggested... an antenna in the basement is not going to work very well (if at all). Especially for multiple TV's.

Option 1)
Mount a "real" antenna in the attic or outdoors.
Option 2)
Buy an indoor antenna for each TV (note: basement antenna will be a problem).
Option 3)
Subscribe to "antenna/lifeline" cable service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 218 Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post

Trees can distort signals, not block them entirely. Either way, it's bad. Put your antenna where it has the clearest sight south. (Your TVFool says you should be able to see the top of the Willis Tower on a clear and/or with a binoculars/telescope or similar optical device.)

Also note that you are in good shape to get the Milwaukee stations as well. If you're a stickler for picture quality, WISN will beat WLS every time. Just like WBBM will beat WDJT every time.

I got WLS but not WISN, have yet to see either WDJT and WBBM, I've seen WCGV a couple of times and have gotten WPWR(beginning to hate that station) in almost every placement I even get the analog WOCK-CD I don't know why this low power station is coming in but the others in the area are not.
post #33 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

I got WLS but not WISN,

You most likely would need an outdoot antenna to get that one.

Quote:

have yet to see either WDJT and WBBM,

WDJT as with WISN an outdoor or attic or upstaris( if you have one ) location will probably be necessary. WBBM is hi-VHF whihc might expalin you're problem if you just using a UHF antenna or basic rabbit ears.

Quote:

I've seen WCGV a couple of times

Slightly more powerful signal than the other Milwaukee stations mentioned already.

Quote:

and have gotten WPWR(beginning to hate that station) in almost every placement

One of your most powerful stations so no surprise there.

Quote:

I even get the analog WOCK-CD I don't know why this low power station is coming in but the others in the area are not.

More shocking because it's low-VHF. But I thnk your location near the water may have something to do with it. About 15 of the 40 mile trip the signals make from Chicago to you is over water.

I should also ask at what time you did the testing of the antennas. If you do it at night you're more likely to get more stations in. So it's better to do it in the day. You could get stations in at night that you can't get in durring the day in a particular antenna location then when daytime comes you'd be "Hey where in the heck did my stations go?"

Since all the stations from Chicago come from the same place basically you might try an antenna with a narrower beamwidth. You could be getting multipath with the signals bouncing around indoors. Someone suggested a Turk. I can't vouch for them but it may be worth a try.

You could also get something like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antennas...&skuId=8850601

though I personally wouldn't pay $50 for it. Especially since I make one of those myself for less than $10.
post #34 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

More shocking because it's low-VHF. But I think your location near the water may have something to do with it. About 15 of the 40 mile trip the signals make from Chicago to you is over water.

If it's analog, he's probably confusing WOCK with WOCH-CA (KBC-TV, Korean programming), which is WOCK's sister station, and is still being broadcast on RF 41.

WOCK-CD turned off their analog signal awhile ago.
post #35 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If it's analog, he's probably confusing WOCK with WOCH-CA (KBC-TV, Korean programming), which is WOCK's sister station, and is still being broadcast on RF 41.

the CD would indicte a digital signal would it not? CA would be analog. And WOCK-CD is on RF 4.
post #36 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

the CD would indicte a digital signal would it not? CA would be analog. And WOCK-CD is on RF 4.

In Eric's original post, he said "the analog WOCK-CD" [emphasis mine].  So I agree with Rammitinski: Eric must have meant the analog signal for the programming on WOCK-CD's 13.2, which is WOCH-CA on RF 41, which is not VHF-low by any means.

Even where I am, not nearly so far north as Eric, WOCH-CA comes in very well here on any TV while WOCK-CD comes in weakly and intermittently, only through the roof antenna and only if the signal isn't split.
post #37 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...You could also get something like this

Not that I'm recommending that antenna. But you can get them much cheaper at summit source. But not the overpriced AD brand.
post #38 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You most likely would need an outdoot antenna to get that one.

WDJT as with WISN an outdoor or attic or upstaris( if you have one ) location will probably be necessary. WBBM is hi-VHF whihc might expalin you're problem if you just using a UHF antenna or basic rabbit ears.

Slightly more powerful signal than the other Milwaukee stations mentioned already.

One of your most powerful stations so no surprise there.

More shocking because it's low-VHF. But I thnk your location near the water may have something to do with it. About 15 of the 40 mile trip the signals make from Chicago to you is over water.

I should also ask at what time you did the testing of the antennas. If you do it at night you're more likely to get more stations in. So it's better to do it in the day. You could get stations in at night that you can't get in durring the day in a particular antenna location then when daytime comes you'd be "Hey where in the heck did my stations go?"

Since all the stations from Chicago come from the same place basically you might try an antenna with a narrower beamwidth. You could be getting multipath with the signals bouncing around indoors. Someone suggested a Turk. I can't vouch for them but it may be worth a try.

You could also get something like this

though I personally wouldn't pay $50 for it. Especially since I make one of those myself for less than $10.

I try everything because I'm trying to get telemundo which is where over half of the programming I watch is on. I put the antenna on one of those table trays and moved it close to the front door and in that placement I got WTMJ,WCGV,WFLD and of course WPWR (even got this one when taking the antenna apart grrr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

yea it was WOCH now that I think about it because it is a Korean channel. I use that as a guideline when placing the antenna because if I get it in color that means I can get Univision (25 % of my programming),ABC and possibly telemundo. Its all good tho because I have a terk HDTVi on the way. I'm almost done messing around with that radio shack one.
post #39 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM

According to TVfool telemundo is on RF 45 WSNS. Seems to be a strong signal comes form the same places the other Chicago signals do. I'm not sure what the issue is. Are you rescanning every time you move the antenna? With a Bravia you'd have to if it didn't when you first scanned it.
post #40 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

According to TVfool telemundo is on RF 45 WSNS. Seems to be a strong signal comes form the same places the other Chicago signals do. I'm not sure what the issue is. Are you rescanning every time you move the antenna? With a Bravia you'd have to if it didn't when you first scanned it.

I know what the issue is. Its the same forces of nature that have been affecting me since mid 2010 that caused me to lose my job and my first and only love. I don't rescan i just learned to adjust until i can see a picture using WOCH-CA as a guide I figured that if I can get that channel in color I can get telemundo,Univision as well as fox,WGN (comes in as often as WPWR) and even WCGV. I have a terk HDTVi on the way so hopefully these problems will go away but if the above mentioned issue is in fact the case then I doubt it'll help.
post #41 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

I know what the issue is. Its the same forces of nature that have been affecting me since mid 2010 that caused me to lose my job and my first and only love. I don't rescan i just learned to adjust until i can see a picture using WOCH-CA as a guide I figured that if I can get that channel in color I can get telemundo,Univision as well as fox,WGN (comes in as often as WPWR) and even WCGV. I have a terk HDTVi on the way so hopefully these problems will go away but if the above mentioned issue is in fact the case then I doubt it'll help.

What I am saying is that if you do a scan and the channel you want didn't come in, then moving the antenna won't do a thing. You'll have to rescan. Trust me I have a Bravia I know how they work. Unless WSNS is already in your saved channels you'll need to rescan.

Just so I'm clear.

Say you do a scan you get in channels A, B and C but you also want channel D. So then you move the antenna. Even though the new location may be perfect for channel D unless you do the "ADD DIGITAL CHANNELS" thing with the Bravia channel D will not show up. The TV can't tune to a channel it doesn't knows exists yet. Some TVs you can just enter the RF number and it will tune it in. Bravias won't do that. You're making this harder than it should be for your area.
post #42 of 218 Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What I am saying is that if you do a scan and the channel you want didn't come in, then moving the antenna won't do a thing. You'll have to rescan. Trust me I have a Bravia I know how they work. Unless WSNS is already in your saved channels you'll need to rescan.

Just so I'm clear.

Say you do a scan you get in channels A, B and C but you also want channel D. So then you move the antenna. Even though the new location may be perfect for channel D unless you do the "ADD DIGITAL CHANNELS" thing with the Bravia channel D will not show up. The TV can't tune to a channel it doesn't knows exists yet. Some TVs you can just enter the RF number and it will tune it in. Bravias won't do that. You're making this harder than it should be for your area.

hmm u may be right about that, WSNS is only coming in because it was found in the last scan I did. I have it right now but sometimes it just messes up alot and tries to go out for no apparent reason.
post #43 of 218 Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Just placed the antenna in a chair outside connected to the cable line. This time I was able to pick up 22 channels (the highest ever) which contains WMAQ,WLS,WTTW,WGN,WCIU,WFLD,WSNS and WPWR (of course) but NOTWGBO. Seems that no matter what I try I cannot seem to get in both WGBO and WSNS simultaneously, sucks!
post #44 of 218 Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Just placed the antenna in a chair outside connected to the cable line. This time I was able to pick up 22 channels (the highest ever) which contains WMAQ,WLS,WTTW,WGN,WCIU,WFLD,WSNS and WPWR (of course) but NOTWGBO. Seems that no matter what I try I cannot seem to get in both WGBO and WSNS simultaneously, sucks!

That is odd. Both are coming from basically the same place and both have strong signals. Both are UHF so no conflict there. Doesn't seem to be any reason why you couldn't get both. Is there any way you could get the antenna higher? Perhaps when you get the Turk you'll have better results.
post #45 of 218 Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is odd. Both are coming from basically the same place and both have strong signals. Both are UHF so no conflict there. Doesn't seem to be any reason why you couldn't get both. Is there any way you could get the antenna higher? Perhaps when you get the Turk you'll have better results.

I placed the antenna into a stack of chairs and then faced it southeast at this weird angle and now I can get them both. What's more interesting is that the other TVs in the house aren't receiving the same stations the living room TV is. There are obviously still tons of stations missing but I won't try to get those until the terk arrives.
post #46 of 218 Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I placed the antenna into a stack of chairs and then faced it southeast at this weird angle and now I can get them both. What's more interesting is that the other TVs in the house aren't receiving the same stations the living room TV is. There are obviously still tons of stations missing but I won't try to get those until the terk arrives.

Each TV you will have to do the whole "add digital channels" thing if you want any channels not currently saved to show up. Also different TVs have different tuners. Some are better than others. Also depending on the length of the cable and how it's split the TVs could be different signal strengths.
post #47 of 218 Old 12-15-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Each TV you will have to do the whole "add digital channels" thing if you want any channels not currently saved to show up. Also different TVs have different tuners. Some are better than others. Also depending on the length of the cable and how it's split the TVs could be different signal strengths.

yea did them all, and I know that there is an amp installed in the basement from the cable setup. Alot of channels are still missing but this current setup should hold me over till the terk arrives. I am shocked that it even worked that way so I'm pleased with the current results. just a little bit concerned about the safety of that antenna being outside in late fall.
post #48 of 218 Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Terk just arrived. I will set it up outside after my programming since I'm getting both the main channels I watch in perfectly.
post #49 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Setup the terk outside in the same chair, now getting 29 channels including WMAQ,WLS,WGN,WTTW,WYCC,WCIU,WFLD,WCPX,WSNSWPWR and WGBO still missing WBBM and WXFT (for some reason).
post #50 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Setup the terk outside in the same chair, now getting 29 channels including WMAQ,WLS,WGN,WTTW,WYCC,WCIU,WFLD,WCPX,WSNSWPWR and WGBO still missing WBBM and WXFT (for some reason).

WBBM is on RF 12 which is hi-VHF. Does the turk have rabbit ears with it? If so extened them about 15 inces each side and almost horizontal but with a slight V. WXFT seems like it should come in according to TVFool. Though is does broadcast at a much lower power and also uses a directional antenna facing away from you somewhat and also it's on channel 50.
post #51 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

it's on channel 50.

WISC might be interfering from here in Madison. It's unlikely, but worth mentioning.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #52 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

WBBM may have too much multipath interference for your TV to process at your present location. Try moving the Terk to a different spot.

WXFT RF50 is right next to WPWR RF51 which is 8 dB stronger. My guess is that the TV has poor adjacent channel rejection so that WPWR signal is interfering with WXFT when you tune in RF50. In the old days, the FCC would only assign every other channel because of the potential interference problem.
post #53 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

And yet, Eric is receiving WCPX, WLS, and WSNS, which are on three consecutive channels (unless, with what I thought was a UHF-only antenna, the WLS signal coming in is the one on RF7).
post #54 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

And yet, Eric is receiving WCPX, WLS, and WSNS, which are on three consecutive channels (unless, to our surprise with what I thought was a UHF-only antenna, the WLS signal coming in is the one on RF7).

WCPX is on RF43 and WSNS is on RF45, a one channel gap, not adjacent to each other. There is no station assigned to RF42.

I don't understand why you mentioned WLS which is on RF7.
post #55 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

WCPX is on RF43 and WSNS is on RF45, a one channel gap, not adjacent to each other. There is no station assigned to RF42.

I don't understand why you mentioned WLS which is on RF7.

Because it's also on RF 44.
post #56 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

WBBM may have too much multipath interference for your TV to process at your present location. Try moving the Terk to a different spot.

WXFT RF50 is right next to WPWR RF51 which is 8 dB stronger. My guess is that the TV has poor adjacent channel rejection so that WPWR signal is interfering with WXFT when you tune in RF50. In the old days, the FCC would only assign every other channel because of the potential interference problem.

The FCC is forcing stations off of 51 anyways.
post #57 of 218 Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because it's also on RF 44.

I was looking at the TVFool report which doesn't show WLS on RF44. Yes there would be potential interference with WCPX and WSNS.

However, if the adjacent received digital power levels are nearly equal to each other then there should be no adjacent channel interference. Only significantly different power levels (greater than 10 dB) would produce interference.
post #58 of 218 Old 12-19-2011, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Back when I had the RS antenna and was trying to get both WSNS and WGBO, WLS did sometimes come in on RF 44, which I would then scan and it would move back to channel 7. I don't know which WLS I'm getting now since I'm on the terk and its outside. I now managed to get in WBBM but lost WCPX and WYCC in the process, WSNS and WFLD have also lost some stability. Strangely enough I also picked up WITI,WVTV and WCGV but these are very unstable. Still no WXFT.
post #59 of 218 Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

And yet, Eric is receiving WCPX, WLS, and WSNS, which are on three consecutive channels (unless, to our surprise with what I thought was a UHF-only antenna, the WLS signal coming in is the one on RF7).

No, it definitely has rabbit ears. You might've been thinking of the Silver Sensor.
post #60 of 218 Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Did I really use a royal we there?  Very sorry; previous post is edited.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page