Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Ok. Bottom line on antennas:

Outdoors is better than indoors
Larger is better than smaller
Higher is (generally) better than lower

So if your are committed to getting an outdoor antenna, I'd be looking for one that was a large for the money as I could get, that was recommended by other members based on their experience. How much room do you have on the balcony?

What would others recommend in this situation?

Don't have a balcony,just a side porch with steps then a patio, front has the porch and then driveway which also connects to the patio on the side of the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

If you're getting dropped cell service and poor FM radio reception, you should not be at all surprised that you cannot get a TV station reliably at your location. Just because TVFool shows a station in a list of stations you may possibly receive, doesn't mean you will be able to.

There's probably tons of RF interference where you are. TVFool doesn't take that into account, because it has no way of knowing what interference is present at any given spot. Had you read the TVFool FAQ, you would know that there are many factors that come into play that sometimes make their predictive maps less than accurate. They even say, "Your Mileage May Vary."

Good luck with your shopping cloud antenna. I've heard those actually work sometimes.... until the plastic breaks and the antenna won't stay where it's aimed.

It doesn't drop the signal entirely or even calls, it just drops the 3G signal especially when I try to stream something or get a hold of the base of the phone. As for FM radio anything outside of the 100.x range doesn't come in without alot of static, there's also reception problems in the 105.x-106.x range. If RF interference was the issue what could I do about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Just a guess....
Surrounded by pine trees or a lot of tall apartment buildings?

no pine trees just regular trees in the direction of the towers as well as my neighbors garage and house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Maybe he should take a picture of his yard in the direction of the towers. I still say he shuld hook the antenna to ONE tv first to eliminate any possibility it could be his cabling.

I tried it indoors at the highest point in the house and still had these issues. Don't think it's the cabling as my cable service worked fine after Comcast put an amp on it in mid 2004 after some reception issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 218 Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think he needs help from someone locally with OTA and coax cabling experience.

If you needed an amp with cable TV... you have more issues than just an antenna/reception issue.
post #93 of 218 Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't see what the cabling has to do with the reception of WSNS,WGBO,WBBM, and WCPX.

The issue takes another interesting twist, I just set the winegard HD1080 back outside and facing the same direction that the terk hdtvi was and with this I can get both WGBO and WSNS almost perfectly, but nothing else comes in.
post #94 of 218 Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

I tried it indoors at the highest point in the house and still had these issues.

The highest point is not necessarily the BEST point.

Quote:

Don't think it's the cabling as my cable service worked fine after Comcast put an amp on it in mid 2004 after some reception issues.

That's cable. As far as you know the amp may be causing the issues. Is the cable RG6? Is it shielded? As I said a direct connection to ONE tv would yeild more accurate results.
post #95 of 218 Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I think he needs help from someone locally with OTA and coax cabling experience.

Well I don't visit my dad in Lindenhurst until late July. I would hope he would have solved his problem by then.

Quote:

If you needed an amp with cable TV... you have more issues than just an antenna/reception issue.

An amp would be common with multiple outlets and splitters. I'm guessing the Comcast guy didn't bother replacing any of the coax. Who knows what type or how old that is.
post #96 of 218 Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well I don't visit my dad in Lindenhurst until late July. I would hope he would have solved his problem by then.

An amp would be common with multiple outlets and splitters. I'm guessing the Comcast guy didn't bother replacing any of the coax. Who knows what type or how old that is.

I tried the terk on every TV standalone including mine with the converter box and could only pick up WPWR and WGN. I put it back outside and sat it flat on the ground and now it is picking up all the channels I watch except WBBM and WXFT. Don't know how long it'll stay like this but I can deal with it until my remote controlled antenna arrives Thursday.
I don't know if it's RG6 or not but apparently it's top grade digicell (that's what it says on the connector). Its been here since a little bit after we moved here in march 04. It's also very thick.
post #97 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the Winegard HD-1080 myself, & I got WBBM-TV for 3 days, then lost it. Nothing I did would bring it back in. I had no problem with WLS-TV on RF 7. I also had no problems with most UHF stations either. I however was able to mount it on a pole above the roofline of my home. If that antenna would have kept WBBM-TV in, I was gonna buy a second Winegard HD-1080 for Chicago (the one I have now, which is 2 years old, is used just for WYIN). Since CBS went out on me with that antenna, I had to get something else, & just get a regular VHF antenna for CBS. I don't know what you're gonna do, but I thought I would share my experience with the Winegard HD-1080 antenna, & VHF-Hi. I still recommend it for UHF if you want something compact.
post #98 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

I thought I would share my experience with the Winegard HD-1080 antenna, & VHF-Hi.

The VHF pattern on the HD-1080 is backwards from the UHF pattern. That's problematic unless the VHF stations are in opposite directions from the UHF stations.

http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-1080.pdf

There are locations in San Diego between the UHF and VHF transmitters where the backwards pattern solves VHF reception problems nicely.
post #99 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

The VHF pattern on the HD-1080 is backwards from the UHF pattern. That's problematic unless the VHF stations are in opposite directions from the UHF stations.

http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-1080.pdf

There are locations in San Diego between the UHF and VHF transmitters where the backwards pattern solves VHF reception problems nicely.

That unfortunately doesn't work for most of us in Chicagoland. Most of us in Chicagolandland, outside of the city of Chicago, have a line of sight with a small gap between the Sears Tower & the John Hancock. Because of that, most of us only have 1 antenna pointed at Chicago. For me, my antenna pointed at Chicago is pointed NW. Pointing the antenna SE might improve VHF, but some UHF stations might not come in at all, & I definitely won't get WWME-LD on RF 39 in that direction (have enough trouble getting them with the Winegard HD9032 & pre-amp).
post #100 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I tried the terk on every TV standalone including mine with the converter box

if your TVs are HDTV why do you need a converter box?

Quote:

I put it back outside and sat it flat on the ground and now it is picking up all the channels I watch except WBBM and WXFT.

How about testing it on each TV while it's outside? Which is what I meant.
post #101 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

if your TVs are HDTV why do you need a converter box?

How about testing it on each TV while it's outside? Which is what I meant.

All the TVs are HDTV except for the one in my bedroom which is hooked to the converter box. The converter box picks up the same amount of channels that the Sony bravia in the living room does. The HDTV's in my parents and younger sisters room do not and have reception issues on some of the channels. Could be because those TVs have an older tuner. Don't know about my bros TV in the basement yet don't think he hooked it up. but the terk is doing ok so far outside just sitting on a wooden pallet right below the cable line. Should be fine till tomorrow when my remote control antenna arrives.
post #102 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Man up and ask your dad for help.
post #103 of 218 Old 12-28-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Man up and ask your dad for help.

only thing he helped me with was the placement of the transformer into the winegard hd1080 the rest I did myself. Anyway the issue is solved for now,my remote controlled antenna will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully it'll do better than the terk.
post #104 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:

All the TVs are HDTV except for the one in my bedroom which is hooked to the converter box. The converter box picks up the same amount of channels that the Sony bravia in the living room does. The HDTV's in my parents and younger sisters room do not and have reception issues on some of the channels. Could be because those TVs have an older tuner. Don't know about my bros TV in the basement yet don't think he hooked it up.

Different TV brands will have differnet tuners each with difference in quality.

I hope your new antenna works but I'm dubious of the manufacturer. Honestly you should be having this much trouble. Without knowing what it looks like around you location we can't tell if perhaps you getting multipath or interference of some kind or something else. Have you tried just one location outside? You can have hotspots and coldspots. I've got areas that give good reception but move the antenna 2 feet to the left or right or up or down or backwards or forwards and NOTHING. I know most people just want to hook up the antenna and be done with it and that's fine if you are getting in a strong signal, but if your recpetion isn't great sometimes it takes time to find the right spot.
post #105 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can purchase the "best" antenna in the world (spec wise) and it won't mean a darned thing unless the antenna is properly mounted in the "sweet spot" (if you can find one).

There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to antennas/reception. It takes time, patience, persistence, two people and compromise if you have to go higher for the mount (eave, roof, chimney, attic, etc.).

The alternative (if exhausted)... just subscribe to "antenna/lifeline" service to cable or FiOS (~$15 per month). You'll probably get all of the same channels you desire via OTA.
post #106 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

You can purchase the "best" antenna in the world (spec wise) and it won't mean a darned thing unless the antenna is properly mounted in the "sweet spot" (if you can find one).

The point is his area is full of signal. Something is going on.

Quote:

The alternative (if exhausted)... just subscribe to "antenna/lifeline" service to cable or FiOS (~$15 per month). You'll probably get all of the same channels you desire via OTA.

Not FiOS in Lake County it's U-Verse area. Not sure if they bothered to put FiOS in Zion. Cable in that area is provided by Comcast. According to people they don't allow Clear QAM of locals anymore. So he would need a box for each TV and that would only be in SD unless he sprung for the HD box which I'm not sure you can get a HD box and "lifeline". And if you could it would be pricy.
post #107 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not FiOS in Lake County it's U-Verse area. Not sure if they bothered to put FiOS in Zion. Cable in that area is provided by Comcast. According to people they don't allow Clear QAM of locals anymore.

Not so. Comcast always passes local HD in clear QAM, everywhere, unless someone makes a mistake.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #108 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Not so. Comcast always passes local HD in clear QAM, everywhere, unless someone makes a mistake.

This recent post from a viewer in San Francisco who has Comcast says Comcast has cut way back the number of clear QAM local HD channels.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21166794
post #109 of 218 Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Different TV brands will have differnet tuners each with difference in quality.

I hope your new antenna works but I'm dubious of the manufacturer. Honestly you should be having this much trouble. Without knowing what it looks like around you location we can't tell if perhaps you getting multipath or interference of some kind or something else. Have you tried just one location outside? You can have hotspots and coldspots. I've got areas that give good reception but move the antenna 2 feet to the left or right or up or down or backwards or forwards and NOTHING. I know most people just want to hook up the antenna and be done with it and that's fine if you are getting in a strong signal, but if your recpetion isn't great sometimes it takes time to find the right spot.

It didn't work at all, not even in the same spots I had the terk,it probably would've worked if it came with a mount like I thought it would've. So as of now the terk is still holding its own,tho testing my patience. After I set the terk in the same spot I had it the other day I lost reception of both WCIU and WTTW but gained WCPX. Shame that I lost WTTW because I was just getting into 11-4(Vme).
Quote:

problem with subscribing to something like that is the fact that I'd have to pay for lower quality (especially on my bedroom TV which isn't HD HATE ANALOG PICTURE QUALITY might have to just get a roof antenna but have to find a way to either mount it in the yard or through the patio table, has a hole where an umbrella used to be before it broke.
post #110 of 218 Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:

It didn't work at all, not even in the same spots I had the terk,it probably would've worked if it came with a mount like I thought it would've. So as of now the terk is still holding its own,tho testing my patience. After I set the terk in the same spot I had it the other day I lost reception of both WCIU and WTTW but gained WCPX. Shame that I lost WTTW because I was just getting into 11-4(Vme).

How high do you have that Turk?( which by the way really isn't made for outdoors.) Also as I said moving it few feet left or right forwards or backwards as well as up or down can make a huge difference. You can't just stick in a spot and say "Well, it doesn't work here". Just like your inside test. Exactly how many spots did you try the antanna?
post #111 of 218 Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

How high do you have that Turk?( which by the way really isn't made for outdoors.) Also as I said moving it few feet left or right forwards or backwards as well as up or down can make a huge difference. You can't just stick in a spot and say "Well, it doesn't work here". Just like your inside test. Exactly how many spots did you try the antanna?

When you try out different spots, tune in the station you want and have someone look at the signal quality meter on the TV. Look for the spot that gives you the highest reading.
post #112 of 218 Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

problem with subscribing to something like that is the fact that I'd have to pay for lower quality (especially on my bedroom TV which isn't HD HATE ANALOG PICTURE QUALITY .

Lower quality??
post #113 of 218 Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The point is his area is full of signal. Something is going on.

Yeah... it's full of it.
And yes... something is going on. He needs someone to help him that has experience with OTA and cabling. Or... there's a nuclear power plant in his back yard.
post #114 of 218 Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Right now it's just sitting on a pallet right below the cable line, so it's a couple inches maybe. I've tried it close to my side porch, on the patio sidewalk, close to my landlords porch with it in the chair, so far the ground is doing the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

When you try out different spots, tune in the station you want and have someone look at the signal quality meter on the TV. Look for the spot that gives you the highest reading.

unfortunately the highest reading on one channel may mean no signal on others.
post #115 of 218 Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Right now it's just sitting on a pallet right below the cable line, so it's a couple inches maybe.

A couple inches off the ground? You need to get that thng higher than that. No wonder you've been having issues. Do you have a ladder? You could set it atop of that. That should be 6 feet.
post #116 of 218 Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

This recent post from a viewer in San Francisco who has Comcast says Comcast has cut way back the number of clear QAM local HD channels.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21166794

It's quite possible for QAM channels that were available to become temporally unavailable, for specific customers.

Comcast corporate policy is to provide all the local HD they carry in clear QAM. On a regular basis they also do system maintenance that can move the local HD channels to another QAM channel.

When this occurs the first thing to do is rescan for channels and this usually fixes the issue.

On some occasions, an individual customer may have a preexisting frequency trap on their incoming coax cable. Traps were used by Comcast to limit the channels received, based on what the customer was paying for. Comcast no longer deploys traps, but they may still exist in the field.

If the trap is for a frequency range the new QAM channels are moved to, a customer will not get the channels they were previously getting. In this case they need to contact Comcast and have them come out and remove the trap. This assumes they are a subscriber at a minimum to Limited Basic, the least video package that Comcast offers.

Some Comcast Internet only customers may lose some or all of the local HD channels they were getting when system maintenance is performed, if a trap is in place. Since they are not paying for video service, they can't really call to have a trap removed to solve a video problem. In most areas a Comcast customer can get Limited Basic video & Internet for the same or slightly less price than Internet alone, which may not be well known.

Another issue is that very few Comcast CSR's even know what QAM is. When a customer calls about having issues with QAM, you may well get told 'you can't get any HD without one of our boxes'. It takes patience and probably multiple calls to find someone who knows what QAM is and that can help solve the problem. Try escalating to a supervisor or ask for a technical supervisor.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #117 of 218 Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A couple inches off the ground? You need to get that thng higher than that. No wonder you've been having issues. Do you have a ladder? You could set it atop of that. That should be 6 feet.

it's doing better there than in the chair,getting me all the stations except for WBBM,WXFT,WJYS and the other weak stations of course.
post #118 of 218 Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:

it's doing better there than in the chair,getting me all the stations except for WBBM,WXFT,WJYS and the other weak stations of course.

The thing is none of those stations is weak. Seriously get it higher and see what the results are.
post #119 of 218 Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The thing is none of those stations is weak. Seriously get it higher and see what the results are.

a stack of chairs on top of the table would be the highest I could get it but I don't have a cable long enough.
post #120 of 218 Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Purchase a coax from Monoprice. Test the antenna on the second floor or the attic. Borrow a ladder and test on the eave or roof.

Get over it and be a good cowboy. The antenna(s) is not going to work indoors, on the ground or sitting on a stack of chairs on top of a table. Get the antenna higher.

You can get 100' (pre-terminated) to properly test.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page