post #121 of 218 Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It's quite possible for QAM channels that were available to become temporally unavailable, for specific customers.

Comcast corporate policy is to provide all the local HD they carry in clear QAM. On a regular basis they also do system maintenance that can move the local HD channels to another QAM channel.

When this occurs the first thing to do is rescan for channels and this usually fixes the issue.

On some occasions, an individual customer may have a preexisting frequency trap on their incoming coax cable. Traps were used by Comcast to limit the channels received, based on what the customer was paying for. Comcast no longer deploys traps, but they may still exist in the field.

If the trap is for a frequency range the new QAM channels are moved to, a customer will not get the channels they were previously getting. In this case they need to contact Comcast and have them come out and remove the trap. This assumes they are a subscriber at a minimum to Limited Basic, the least video package that Comcast offers.

Some Comcast Internet only customers may lose some or all of the local HD channels they were getting when system maintenance is performed, if a trap is in place. Since they are not paying for video service, they can't really call to have a trap removed to solve a video problem. In most areas a Comcast customer can get Limited Basic video & Internet for the same or slightly less price than Internet alone, which may not be well known.

Another issue is that very few Comcast CSR's even know what QAM is. When a customer calls about having issues with QAM, you may well get told 'you can't get any HD without one of our boxes'. It takes patience and probably multiple calls to find someone who knows what QAM is and that can help solve the problem. Try escalating to a supervisor or ask for a technical supervisor.

This is true for now, but it may not be true much longer. If the proposed FCC rule is passed then it will be true that you can;t get any HD (or any SD either) without one of their boxes!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

This is true for now, but it may not be true much longer. If the proposed FCC rule is passed then it will be true that you can;t get any HD (or any SD either) without one of their boxes!

I'm referring to present tense, not what may happen. And if the FCC allows this, it will be well publicized.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #123 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

You mean like satellite and FiOS and U-verse? I wonder when these guys make having a STB mandatory this is accepted. When cable does it they are greedy and evil? I'm just looking for consistency in one's opinion on this either way.
post #124 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Cableco's are greedy and evil. That's why I dropped Comcast after 25+ years.

In my area, FiOS passes HD locals in the clear. No STB required.
post #125 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Cableco's are greedy and evil. That's why I dropped Comcast after 25+ years.

In my area, FiOS passes HD locals in the clear. No STB required.

If the FCC law passes, you can bet Verizon FiOS will encrypt local HD, just like the cableco's will.

Being an IPTV provider, AT&T U-verse is different than cableco's & FiOS. They don't use QAM so you always need a box.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #126 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like today is going to be a bad reception day. Don't think the terk HDTVi likes the wind at all.
post #127 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

If the FCC law passes, ...

TBD... But if it does, then hopefully TV prices will drop a few $$ as they won't need to provide TV's with clear QAM tuners.
post #128 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

Looks like today is going to be a bad reception day. Don't think the terk HDTVi likes the wind at all.

Any day, any season, any antenna... bad mounting, aiming, elevation will be a problem to acheive consistent/stable reception.
post #129 of 218 Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

TBD... But if it does, then hopefully TV prices will drop a few $$ as they won't need to provide TV's with clear QAM tuners.

A) I don't think they "need" to provide them now. NEED as in "required". Unless there is osme law mandating this.

B) TVs are still required to have NTSC tuners in them for OTA TV. Yeah there are a few analog LPs not many people get TV that way. Also these tuners go to channel 69. Well since all analog TV above channel 51 is now officially gone as of Jan 1st 2012 why are TV manufacturers required to have analog OTA tuners that go to 69? Unless I missed a rule somewhere that states TV makers can now only use tuners that only go to 51.
post #130 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

a) Need, required, ... whatever. I guess I should have used the term "equipped". There's no need to include a clear QAM tuner if it's unusable.
b) Just provide ATSC/NTSC internal tuners for OTA. It doesn't matter how many channels it can possibly "tune", it's still the same tuner. Eliminating channel/frequency tuning won't save any money for the manufacturer or the consumer.
post #131 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:

a) Need, required, ... whatever. I guess I should have used the term "equipped". There's no need to include a clear QAM tuner if it's unusable.
b) Just provide ATSC/NTSC internal tuners for OTA. It doesn't matter how many channels it can possibly "tune", it's still the same tuner. Eliminating channel/frequency tuning won't save any money for the manufacturer or the consumer.

Yeah except when extra time is wasted trying to tune in stations on 52-69 when none exist. When 31-51 are taken away even more of a waste of time. Why not use tuners that go all the way to 83 then, like UHF used too? Oh yeah that was a waste of time. they figured that out and made tuners that only went to 69.
post #132 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Time is not a problem, unless one is overly impatient. I'd rather take 15 minutes to do an
OTA re-scan infrequently as opposed to paying $$ for a useless QAM tuner.

And now... back to the original programming already in progress.
post #133 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Time is not a problem, unless one is overly impatient. I'd rather take 15 minutes to do an

yea I still don't know where that discussion came from. Good day for TV today with my terk. Getting 29 channels which is almost every channel besides WBBM (having signal issues),WOCK-CD,WOCH-CD,WWME-LD,WXFT (still don't know y I can't get this) and WWTO.
post #134 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Yes yes your need to get in the last word because you're always right. How typcial for you. That's ok I'm done talking to you. I have better things to do. Say hello to my ignore list.
post #135 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Getting 29 channels which is almost every channel besides WBBM (having signal issues),WOCK-CD,WOCH-CD,WWME-LD,WXFT (still don't know y I can't get this) and WWTO.

There is no WOCH-CD, at least not yet, only WOCH-CA on analog 41, broadcasting the same content as WOCK-CD's 13.2.
post #136 of 218 Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Yes yes your need to get in the last word because you're always right. How typcial for you. That's ok I'm done talking to you. I have better things to do. Say hello to my ignore list.

My feelings are hurt.
post #137 of 218 Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

having signal issues on WSNS today. Last night it was in perfectly but when I woke up I saw a weak signal screen on my converter box but yet the signal bar shows a strength of 51% but no quality. My antenna also hasn't been moved and I still get its adjacent channels in perfectly (WLS and WCPX)
post #138 of 218 Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow...
your parents, brother and younger sisters must be very frustrated with you by now.

I bet they all chipped in and subscribed to cable.
post #139 of 218 Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow...
your parents, brother and younger sisters must be very frustrated with you by now.

I bet they all chipped in and subscribed to cable.

they have commented that I shouldn't be wasting my unemployment money on these antennas and that things are fine the way they are (they are not). I'm not going to give up on finding the right antenna until I can get and maintain WSNS,WGBO,WBBM and WCPX with as very little dropouts as possible. Money technically isn't being wasted because I can always send them back if I don't get the desired results. We are pretty much unlucky with our house almost being surrounded totally by trees and the fact that we are the only house on the block with no roof antenna, I've been very tempted to grab my neighbors as its just teetering on their rooftop. They have satellite, also since its 2012 I should have better luck with purchasing an antenna and landing the desired results, but since I start classes again next Monday (some in evening) I won't be able to dedicate as much time to this .
post #140 of 218 Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You won't find a magic antenna that works in a dead spot. You might find one that works in a reception hot spot on the roof, though.
post #141 of 218 Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

UGH reception problems have returned ever since it fell from the chair I've been having problems getting consistent reception on the stations mentioned in my last post. When it isn't tied to the chair it gets them fine but then there's the worry of it being blown down again. But when tied up it's a struggle getting those stations, especially WSNS which is cutting out like crazy right now. Bought an RCA ANT751,it comes with mast and mounting hardware that I can just stick out in my yard, so hopefully this will finally eliminate these problems.
post #142 of 218 Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Attach it to the end of the house or on the roof.
post #143 of 218 Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

What about a tree? There's really no place on this brick house to attach it to that's close to the cable run and away from the power lines.
post #144 of 218 Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

What about a tree? There's really no place on this brick house to attach it to that's close to the cable run and away from the power lines.

A tree could work if you can find a way to mount it securely, while accounting for the tree's slow, yet inevitable growth. I'd also recommend mounting it so the antenna doesn't have to shoot through the leaves. Use pruners if you have to.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #145 of 218 Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Buy a bigger chair.
post #146 of 218 Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Installed it on the south facing guard rail on my side porch and it didn't pick up a single channel! Its supposed to work in red,green,yellow and blue zones yet it isn't picking up a single channel. The radio shack budget antenna is outperforming it. So far I just haven't been able to win,I just want this struggle since 12/1 to finally come to an end so I can finish my other 3 struggles (since 1/21/07, 6/7/10 and 7/11/10 respectively) working on all of them at once is more than overwhelming.
post #147 of 218 Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
As I mentioned in another thread, about 30' from ground is all most people need if they have good LOS. 30' from ground is basically an antenna mounted on the apex of a single story house on top of a 10-15' mast. Secured by three sets of guy wires screwed into the framing. If you don't have good LOS, and you have trees, tall buildings, etc around your house then reception is going to be affected, and the slightest environmental issue is going to result in reception problems. Sounds like your in a fringe area and are suffering from the "cliff effect". Have your local stations changed their power outputs?
post #148 of 218 Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

As I mentioned in another thread, about 30' from ground is all most people need if they have good LOS. 30' from ground is basically an antenna mounted on the apex of a single story house on top of a 10-15' mast. Secured by three sets of guy wires screwed into the framing. If you don't have good LOS, and you have trees, tall buildings, etc around your house then reception is going to be affected, and the slightest environmental issue is going to result in reception problems. Sounds like your in a fringe area and are suffering from the "cliff effect". Have your local stations changed their power outputs?

the signals of the stations that I want to receive are all strong according to TVFool and antennaweb. Don't know what the problem is. Aside from either getting cable or the solution above, it really looks like I'm not going to be able to watch my telenovelas or sports without constant break ups.
post #149 of 218 Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Assuming you've aimed the antenna in the proper direction and there's not a huge obstruction immediately in front of it, you should be getting at least something with the ANT751, even on your porch. I suspect you have a bad coax or improperly terminated connector or balun.

Even if you solve your almost obvious cabling/connector problems, the antenna really needs to go on the roof, not the porch. You can buy antennas until you're blue in the face, but there is not a magic antenna that will solve the problem of putting it in a bad location (dead spot).

You need to get someone who knows what they're doing to install your antenna in the right location and do it correctly. Or sub to cable. But for what you would pay for a few months of cable, you could pay someone to properly install your antenna for you.
post #150 of 218 Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Assuming you've aimed the antenna in the proper direction and there's not a huge obstruction immediately in front of it, you should be getting at least something with the ANT751, even on your porch. I suspect you have a bad coax or improperly terminated connector or balun.

Even if you solve your almost obvious cabling/connector problems, the antenna really needs to go on the roof, not the porch. You can buy antennas until you're blue in the face, but there is not a magic antenna that will solve the problem of putting it in a bad location (dead spot).

You need to get someone who knows what they're doing to install your antenna in the right location and do it correctly. Or sub to cable. But for what you would pay for a few months of cable, you could pay someone to properly install your antenna for you.

the coax isn't bad because I just bought it the day I setup the ANT751, there are several trees in the LOS but I usually try to aim in between them and that has worked in previous months with the terk HDTVi and budget RS antenna in the chair until they got blown down,now I can't even get stable reception on the channels I watch mainly or on any other channels (when I try to watch them).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page