Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Did you see the pic he posted?

Yes I did. The laws of physics says objects less than a wavelength in size will scatter the signal in all directions and will be attenuated by the distance squared. This means that a reflection from a single leaf will be very small when it reachs the antenna. I'll concede that if you sum up the signal from every leaf from every nearby tree it is theoretically possible for you to get a multipath signal almost as strong as the direct signal (for an omnidirectional antenna.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 218 Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

No matter... multipath or weak signals, the OP has a problem due to:
no money
no ladder
no support from family
no experience
... and whatever else.

As for trees and multipath, HDTVPrimer states this:

Do it right or subscribe to lifeline/antenna service from a cable provider.

yea that lengthy post from retiredengineer sure is making it seem like cable is the only solution at this location or a $500+ antenna setup that can extend over the trees towards the stratosphere. I see two setups like that, one is a few blocks to the west of my house and the other is a few blocks slightly southwest,although the west house isn't surrounded by trees but the southwestern one is a little bit. Who the came up with the idea to build trees right where people would put up antennas?

I'll make two calls tomorrow,one to this contractor that I've spoken to before from service magic.com and see what he says as far as setup and costs and/if it seems too much or complex then I'll have to submit to the cable companies who hold free TV hostage for a monthly fee and at lower bitrates (not looking forward to muffled surround sound channels again).
post #183 of 218 Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

Yes I did. The laws of physics says objects less than a wavelength in size will scatter the signal in all directions and will be attenuated by the distance squared. This means that a reflection from a single leaf will be very small when it reachs the antenna. I'll concede that if you sum up the signal from every leaf from every nearby tree it is theoretically possible for you to get a multipath signal almost as strong as the direct signal (for an omnidirectional antenna.)

you also saw the 2 building in his way too then. MUCH larger than leaves. Remember his antenna isn't more than a few feet above the ground.
post #184 of 218 Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

yea that lengthy post from retiredengineer sure is making it seem like cable is the only solution at this location or a $500+ antenna setup that can extend over the trees towards the stratosphere.

It won't take $500 antenna( if there is such a thing )you just don't want to do what is suggested.

Quote:

I'll make two calls tomorrow,one to this contractor that I've spoken to before from service magic.com and see what he says as far as setup and costs and/if it seems too much or complex then I'll have to submit to the cable companies who hold free TV hostage for a monthly fee and at lower bitrates (not looking forward to muffled surround sound channels again).

it's simple.

A) A bit more height on the antenna. You'd be shocked what even a few more feet can do.

B) test different locations. Just not a couple of spots.

C) I assume you have a ladder or have access to one. So go to Home Depot and get some pruning equipment for $30. Your yard looks a mess anyways.
post #185 of 218 Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It won't take $500 antenna( if there is such a thing )you just don't want to do what is suggested.

it's simple.

A) A bit more height on the antenna. You'd be shocked what even a few more feet can do.

B) test different locations. Just not a couple of spots.

C) I assume you have a ladder or have access to one. So go to Home Depot and get some pruning equipment for $30. Your yard looks a mess anyways.

C) that isn't my yard over the fence, that's my neighbor's.
post #186 of 218 Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

C) that isn't my yard over the fence, that's my neighbor's.

The trees are on YOUR side of the fence. And if your neighbor did have trees that had branches hanging over on your property by law you can legally cut them.
post #187 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Here are two suggestions from TV station KYES on how to receive TV signals that reflect off of water:

"In coastal areas, or across bodies of sea water such as Cook Inlet, the antenna can receive a strong reflection from the sea as well as the direct signal. As the water level changes, the standing wave patterns change too. Mounting the antenna such that the roof screens it from the unwanted sea reflection but not the direct signal usually overcomes the problem. In extreme cases it may be necessary to use two antennas - one positioned for best results at high tide, the other for optimum reception at low tide."

With too many variables affecting solid reception, cable may be your better option.
post #188 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Here are two suggestions from TV station KYES on how to receive TV signals that reflect off of water:

"In coastal areas, or across bodies of sea water such as Cook Inlet, the antenna can receive a strong reflection from the sea as well as the direct signal. As the water level changes, the standing wave patterns change too. Mounting the antenna such that the roof screens it from the unwanted sea reflection but not the direct signal usually overcomes the problem. In extreme cases it may be necessary to use two antennas - one positioned for best results at high tide, the other for optimum reception at low tide."

With too many variables affecting solid reception, cable may be your better option.

OR he could try to get in Milwaukee stations which are not coming over the water.
post #189 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think that's the issue because there are trees that guard out the way to the lake. As for cable, not an option either because of the past due bill (even when I tried to get it in my name)

Quote:

OR he could try to get in Milwaukee stations which are not coming over the water.

There are even more trees in that direction so I would have to mount an antenna at least 50ft high to go over them. I called a contractor today but received no answer or callback as of yet, leaving me who knows how much longer more I have to suffer through reception issues on even the most basic stations.
post #190 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 273
LOL...
can't get OTA due to trees.
can't get re-subscribed to cable due to unpaid bills.
probably can't get satellite.
probably no FiOS either (but worth a call to find out).

How does your family watch broadcast TV today?
post #191 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

LOL...
can't get OTA due to trees.
can't get re-subscribed to cable due to unpaid bills.
probably can't get satellite.
probably no FiOS either (but worth a call to find out).

How does your family watch broadcast TV today?

Lake County is at&t area so that would be U-verse not FiOS.
post #192 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I don't think that's the issue because there are trees that guard out the way to the lake. As for cable, not an option either because of the past due bill (even when I tried to get it in my name)

There are even more trees in that direction so I would have to mount an antenna at least 50ft high to go over them.

Here's an idea just TRT IT. Also try putting the antenna closer to the road you should have some clearance.
post #193 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lake County is at&t area so that would be U-verse not FiOS.

Whatever... no matter the available provider(s). I guess you missed my drift.

Kudos for trying to help, but IMO, it's is a lost cause.
This young fella has no money, no support from mom, dad and siblings and a bad credit record. And... can't borrow/rent a ladder.

I'm still curious though as to how the "family" watches broadcast TV today.
post #194 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's an idea just TRT IT. Also try putting the antenna closer to the road you should have some clearance.

For that I would need more than the 25' of cable that I bought. Also another problem I would have is the 2 main stations I watch (telemundo and Univision) are only offered in Milwaukee on low power stations.
post #195 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Whatever... no matter the available provider(s). I guess you missed my drift.

Kudos for trying to help, but IMO, it's is a lost cause.
This young fella has no money, no support from mom, dad and siblings and a bad credit record. And... can't borrow/rent a ladder.

I'm still curious though as to how the "family" watches broadcast TV today.

My credit record is good, the cable that is disconnected due to financial problems is not in my name. The problem was they wouldn't let me get it in my name because I live in the same house with someone with a past due balance.

As to how we're watching TV today I'll be watching telemundo which has decent reception right now everyone else will probably be watching ION or ABC, nothing else gets in reliably today.
post #196 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

You can receive Telemundo on WBME, a full power station, on 49.4. You got a chance of receiving it since it comes from Racine, WI.
post #197 of 218 Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

For that I would need more than the 25' of cable that I bought. Also another problem I would have is the 2 main stations I watch (telemundo and Univision) are only offered in Milwaukee on low power stations.

So you can get another 25 feet of quad shield RG6 for under $20.

Do you have ALL the TVs hook up to the same antenna? If so you need a pre-amp. Also is the cable you bought RG6( preferably quad shield ) if it's cheap generic RG59 that might explain a lot. Also using a indoor antenna outside is not exactly wise. I can imagine what the winter weather does to an indoor antenna. I can't believe your parents won't even let you mount an antenna right above the roof line like you would a satellite dish. Like I said it would hurt to get or borrow some limb loppers and a ladder can't cut down as many branches as you can. Any amount of clearing you do will help.

Other than that I don't what else we can do for you. Lots of people have given you advice and all you can say to it is "no can't do that". Do you think if you say "no" enough we'll give in and use our magical powers of reception and make your stations come in for you?

Don't mean to be rude but either take our advice or quiet up about your problem already.
post #198 of 218 Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #199 of 218 Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to get a contractor but he didn't show up when he said he would or even bother to reschedule. On Tuesday I did cut some branches from the trees on the lower level of my side yard and that improved reception a bit but now the issues have returned it seems
post #200 of 218 Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM

you're going to have to move the antenna around and try different spots and you certainly going to have to get it up higher than chair level.
post #201 of 218 Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Using the ANT751 now and the results are the same as with the terk. Bought 3 winegard 5ft poles thinking they could be stitched together but it wasn't possible, on top of all that my dad says that it isn't possible to put it on the roof because there isn't anywhere to fasten it to.
post #202 of 218 Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Using the ANT751 now and the results are the same as with the terk. Bought 3 winegard 5ft poles thinking they could be stitched together but it wasn't possible, on top of all that my dad says that it isn't possible to put it on the roof because there isn't anywhere to fasten it to.

There are literally dozens and dozens of mounts for TV antennas. A five second Google shows this source, which has all sorts of options for attics, sides of structures, vent pipes, tripods, flat mounts, etc.

http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_roof_mounts.html
http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_mounts_masts.html

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #203 of 218 Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

There are literally dozens and dozens of mounts for TV antennas. A five second Google shows this source, which has all sorts of options for attics, sides of structures, vent pipes, tripods, flat mounts, etc.

http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_roof_mounts.html
http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_mounts_masts.html

doesn't say those masts are combinable, the ANT 751 came wih a J-mount anyway.

Lost WGN, WSNS again and WGBO is cutting in and out. Don't get why it's so difficult now just to be able to watch my telenovelas that I've been watching for 10 years now. Another thing about WGN is signal strength is 60% but signal quality is 0% FML!! Just more senseless deficiencies in the 8VSB standard.
post #204 of 218 Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #205 of 218 Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

if you have nothing useful to contribute then don't post.
post #206 of 218 Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:

if you have nothing useful to contribute then don't post.

you can take the same advice. we've have told you for a year what you need to do, but you don't listen. You come up with excuses. I'm not sure what else you want form us. Say abracadabra and make your reception better? I'm really to the point I wish the mods would close this thread. All the answer you seek are already posted.
post #207 of 218 Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

you can take the same advice. we've have told you for a year what you need to do, but you don't listen. You come up with excuses. I'm not sure what else you want form us. Say abracadabra and make your reception better? I'm really to the point I wish the mods would close this thread. All the answer you seek are already posted.

I have followed the directions given the best I could. I chopped off some tree branches, moved the antenna away from the sides of the house and things are still problematic. No one should have to put an antenna 50ft up just to watch the channels they were able to watch before ,even with trees around. If it weren't for our stupid government choosing the 8VSB modulation this wouldn't be a problem. What's even more fúcked up is I can receive WOCH-CA 41 almost clear and this is supposedly a low power station, yet can barely get in any full power stations reliably.

Another shameful thing is all the FCC suggests is to get cable or a 30' to 50' antenna setup.
post #208 of 218 Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Sorry dude but cutting down a couple of braches and using an indoor antenna outside and setting it on a chair then wondering why you're reception sucks, well we've explained that set up isn't going to work. You realize when the digital law passed that was in 1996. I'm sure 8VSB modulation looked good at the time. You don't need an antenna 50 feet up. You simply REFUSE to do what we advise you on. Could you do something as simple as get a 8 foot pool attach the antenna to that and try different spots and see if that changes anything? I'm sure just about anything is better than the 2 feet off the ground you have the antenna now will work better.
post #209 of 218 Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Sorry dude but cutting down a couple of braches and using an indoor antenna outside and setting it on a chair then wondering why you're reception sucks, well we've explained that set up isn't going to work. You realize when the digital law passed that was in 1996. I'm sure 8VSB modulation looked good at the time. You don't need an antenna 50 feet up. You simply REFUSE to do what we advise you on. Could you do something as simple as get a 8 foot pool attach the antenna to that and try different spots and see if that changes anything? I'm sure just about anything is better than the 2 feet off the ground you have the antenna now will work better.

I'm using the ANT751 now which is an outdoor antenna, I dont refuse to do anything. the 8ft idea will be the next thing i try along with the 50ft of cable idea as soon as i get these 3 useless winegard mast poles sent back and use that money to buy the next suggestions. 8VSB modulation is far inferior to the DVB-T and ISDB systems used elsewhere around the world. at least those settings work better for tree saturated areas.
post #210 of 218 Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

8VSB modulation is far inferior to the DVB-T and ISDB systems used elsewhere around the world. at least those settings work better for tree saturated areas.

In case you're planning on moving, many Brits had exactly the same digital reception problems that you're having.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page