Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Do you want a HD DVR? Big difference between the two services.

Why do you say this? Which one has the better HD DVR and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-24-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
They're both good just different. As someone said earlier choose your service by your programming needs.
post #33 of 40 Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM

I just scheduled an install with DISH and their new Hopper & Joey STBs:
Whole Home HD DVR Service, HD for life and Sling...
post #34 of 40 Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Good choice. The prime time any time is awesome.
post #35 of 40 Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM

I just switched from DirecTV to Dish because my DTV bill had just gotten crazy. I got sucked into the deals the Dish was throwing at me. I like all the new gadgets like streaming a media server to every TV and the slingbox is a nice touch.
I never was really happy with DirecTV's picture quality until I switched to Dish. It was very apparent that Dish is lacking in bandwidth. A 135" screen really allows you to notice the difference. I'll be switching back to DirecTV in two years.
post #36 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AekaGSR View Post

I just switched from DirecTV to Dish because my DTV bill had just gotten crazy. I got sucked into the deals the Dish was throwing at me. I like all the new gadgets like streaming a media server to every TV and the slingbox is a nice touch.
I never was really happy with DirecTV's picture quality until I switched to Dish. It was very apparent that Dish is lacking in bandwidth. A 135" screen really allows you to notice the difference. I'll be switching back to DirecTV in two years.

This is exactly what I was searching the forum for. I have a great offer from Dish in front of me and I'm about to call Directv to see if they'll upgrade me to a Genie for free instead of waiting for my "free upgrade" date of November 2013. I currently subscribe to everything Direct offers and it's around $190/month all in. With all the freebies Dish is throwing at me to switch, I'll have Dish in three rooms with no cost for equipment (Including Hoppper, Joeys, Sling, etc). Monthly savings in year 1 will total $1018, year 2 will be $552. That's over $1500 in 2 years.

The only thing that really scares me is the talk of lower PQ with Dish. I'm very happy with Direct other than price and my current DVR setup. Going to take this information to Directv and see if they really want to retain a customer with 15 years of history.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #37 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There is another forum that is just satellite. If you want info try looking at http://www.dbstalk.com the DirecTV / Dish fight been going on for years. As for what I use it's DirecTV. Stared with them in 96 and the tried Dish for a year and went back to DirecTV. That was in the SD days and I went through the switch to HD with them and am happy with the service.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

There is another forum that is just satellite. If you want info try looking at http://www.dbstalk.com the DirecTV / Dish fight been going on for years. As for what I use it's DirecTV. Stared with them in 96 and the tried Dish for a year and went back to DirecTV. That was in the SD days and I went through the switch to HD with them and am happy with the service.

Thanks. I've been active on that other forum for years as well. I just spend a lot of time over here and love AVS!

Update to my decision. After getting a fantastic offer from Dish, I called back Directv to see what they would do to retain me. The representative I talked to on the "cancel line" obviously had more leverage in presenting discounts and equipment upgrades than whomever I talked to earlier in the week.

The net of it is I'm staying with Directv, adding Verizon internet service (canceling Time Warner).

Monthly bill goes down from $180/month to $125/month for 1 year.
Free equipment upgrade to Genie (HR34) - they wanted $299 for it yesterday
Switched internet to Verizon as a bundle (same price as my current internet, but includes free home phone service) Savings of $40/month

A year from now my bill will go back up to regular rates, but I given that I'm not willing to risk PQ differences moving from Direct to Dish I'm happy with the arrangement.

Thanks to the forum for all the great information on Directv vs Dish!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #39 of 40 Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 AM

This is for new customers if anyone is interested. It turns out to be a really good deal.

This really works!!! For a 200.00 Costco card and a 100.00 credit towards dtv:

1. Clear browsing history(might not have to do this step)

2. Go to this link first (very important you do this step very first): http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral/referralProgram.jsp?lpos=Header%3A5

3. Enter this acct number (77406527) and click get directv (Do not exit this website)

4. Open a new window using the same browser and go to this link: http://www.costco.com/directv.html

5. Register if your not already registered and select the direct tv package a receivers you want.

6. Go to cart and you will see that you have the referral discount.

Referral Acct# 77406527
Just in case anyone is interested
post #40 of 40 Old 09-27-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Regarding Dish and DirecTV, I would like to know which receiver has the best OTA add on tuner for an outside antenna, as well as menu interface and channel guide. I have heard some don't list the subchannels, and which has more sensitive tuner?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page