Old 10-28-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
when did dish drop the $10 a month hd fee?

i was basing it on
722 - $17 a month x2 for $34+10hd whish is what i had at the time total $44
it went to
genie $6 hr24 $6 hd $10 dvr+whole home $9 total $31
a $13 savings
Understood. Technically they didn't drop the HD fee, but anybody can get "HD free for life". My parents are on a really old DirecTV plan, so I have to call every 6 months to beg them to drop the $10 HD fee. If they weren't so elderly and unable to adapt to change, I'd have switched them to Dish years ago.

With your 722's you just happened to be stuck with the wrong hardware. The 722 was designed to serve 2 TVs and priced accordingly. So you were paying for 4 TVs worth of service. Had you gotten a Hopper plus Mini and HD free for life, you cost would have been $19 instead of $44. Even a 612 and 211 would have been much cheaper and a better fit for your situation.

Even today, you may be able to get DirecTV to switch you to the advanced receiver fee and save another $3.

So the reason DirecTV is cheaper for you than Dish was is that you were paying for 4 TVs when you could have been paying for 2. Apples to apples, Dish is still substantially cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 219
i wont use a mini, if it dosnt have its own tuner i dont want it
i was turned off when the hopper wouldnt integrate with existing equipment
i had hd free with dish and do with directv

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Old 10-28-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
i wont use a mini, if it dosnt have its own tuner i dont want it
i was turned off when the hopper wouldnt integrate with existing equipment
i had hd free with dish and do with directv
Dish has Super Joeys that have their own tuners.

I didn't like the legacy integration aspect of the Hopper either or the bugs, or the fact that Dish was constantly dropping channels in disputes. I'm too cheap to even fork over $6.50 for a second room, so I'd have never gotten a Joey from Dish or a Mini from DirecTV either.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Guess what you just created? Another back and forth thread filled with totally opposite statements on both sides. So here's another from me.

DirecTV's HD is technically better because it is truly 1920x1080 on 1080i channels, whereas Dish is only 1440x1080. DirecTV's SD is substantially worse than most other providers because they compress the hell out of it. Like the previous poster, it's impossible to overstate how bad DirecTV's SD really is. To compare them to VHS would be too kind.

I had each one for years and couldn't tell any difference in their HD. SD difference was big, but I watch almost no SD these days, so that doesn't really matter anymore to me.

I have cable now, so I have no dog in this fight. I've been burned equally by both Dish and DirecTV in terms of channel losses, hardware issues and billing "mistakes", so I'm not a fan of either service.

Will you notice a difference dramatic enough in HD to switch? Probably not. If you do switch, be prepared to pay more in the long run, as DirecTV generally costs more for the same content.
I have Dish and my son has Direct TV. To me, the picture quality is equal.

My question is, "How did you come up with those resolution numbers ?" Are these published ratings? Just curious.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I have Dish and my son has Direct TV. To me, the picture quality is equal.

My question is, "How did you come up with those resolution numbers ?" Are these published ratings? Just curious.
Common knowledge since 2007. Presumably came from direct measurement with special equipment, file size calculations, press releases or insiders at Dish. Your guess is as good as mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite

There has been no hard evidence to refute this that I know of. If you find anything, please post it. It's illogical to me that Dish could offer 4k and 1080p on demand when they still don't even to full 1080i on 1080i channels.

As I said before, I can't tell any visual difference either, but those are the known numbers. Some folks get really hung up on technical details like this even though it makes virtually no real world difference.

IMO, the HD picture quality is essentially identical. DVR features are nearly identical, but I think Dish has more features over all. The decision on which service to get should be based on price, channel lineups, features and your tolerance for black outs. After talking all of the above into consideration, I got cable.
Skytrooper likes this.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Thanks for the info and link, mdavej. Like I stated earlier, I see no difference in picture quality between the two satellite services. And I do agree with you about Dish's features being superior. That Hopper is hard to beat.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement