Directv or Dish - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have uverse now and I'm fed up with the poor picture quality. Should I go for Directv or Dish? Please include your reason for preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

I have uverse now and I'm fed up with the poor picture quality. Should I go for Directv or Dish? Please include your reason for preference.

Whichever one has the channels you need.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
i was with dish for 7 years before switching to direct a year ago. there isn't a lot of difference between the two. before switching, i had read that direct had a better picture. after switching i would say that i would agree with that. it's not a big difference though. i'd be comfortable recommending either.
post #4 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
When I looked into it a year ago, I found directv seems to be a bigger company with better tech equipment (500gb, can add external drive, doubleplay, score guide, rf remote etc). I think the price was better or the same for the same setup. Plus the have lots of enticing discounts (I'm sure everyone here would be glad to share their account number for the referral ). I feel the pq is as good or better than cox. I find it funny that Uverse is advertising a wireless stb connection. I guess they feel they can do worse on pq and customer service calls...
post #5 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

When I looked into it a year ago, I found directv seems to be a bigger company with better tech equipment (500gb, can add external drive, doubleplay, score guide, rf remote etc). I think the price was better or the same for the same setup. Plus the have lots of enticing discounts (I'm sure everyone here would be glad to share their account number for the referral ). I feel the pq is as good or better than cox. I find it funny that Uverse is advertising a wireless stb connection. I guess they feel they can do worse on pq and customer service calls...

I have two of the wireless boxes and the pq with them are just as good as the wired boxes. I was worried about it when I ordered but they actually work with the same pq. However, overall pq of uverse is not good, that's why I want to switch.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Both DirecTV and Dish have their good points, and bad points. I used to say, if you want sports, then DirecTV is the best choice, and if you want lots of international programming, Dish is the best choice. That distinction is becomming less and less pronounced. I would recommend you look at the channel linups, and packages offered. As far as the technology, they are about the same, both have rain-fade and so on, DirecTV has the edge in picture quality, for the moment, and just by a bit, probably not noticeable unless you have a very big television.

Both have strong advocats, and detractors.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
"They" say that SD PQ is better on Dish, HD better on Direct. Maybe an issue with Direct because they have fewer HD channels than many services including Dish (BBCA and TCM to name two.)

I have Direct and have no expectation of switching to Dish, but the lack of desirable and routinely carried HD channels sticks in my craw.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #8 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the summer of 2000 I was deciding between DirecTV and Dish. I picked Dish because they had more HD channels. Dish had two and DirecTV had one (HBO and Showtime vs just HBO). Since then Dish has consistently had more HD channels and their DVR is one of, if not, the best. DirecTV does have the NFL season ticket available. However I have never regretted my decision.

Just my two cents worth.

Rick R
post #9 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 705
+1

I had DirecTV for years then switched to Dish to get many basic HD channels DirecTV still lacks. But DirecTV has lots of other things like Dish doesn't, like tons of PPV, regional sports, Sunday Ticket, MLB, multi-room viewing, and a new 5-tuner DVR. If I were into sports, I'd go for DirecTV in a heartbeat. But for basic HD content and lower prices, Dish is better at the moment.

As others have said, DirecTV's HD PQ is technically better, but many of us are hard pressed to see much difference. SD PQ is better on Dish. HD on both is better than HD on Uverse. Since you have AT&T already, you can get a small bundle discount with DirecTV.

Check out the channel lineup in the sticky in this forum and see which provider has all the channels you watch in HD. If you don't care about HD, then you need to decide how important DirecTV's other content and features are to you. Lastly, the number of TVs makes a big difference in cost. If you have more than 2 or 3, DirecTV will be cheaper because Dish's extra receiver/DVR fees are pretty high, nearly as bad as cable.
post #10 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Do you want a HD DVR? Big difference between the two services.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #11 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Personally, I prefer DirecTV over Dish. I do think DirecTV has a better picture quality. Dish does have a few more HD channels, but it's not by much. You really can't go wrong either way though. If you are real big on sports, DirecTV is definitely the way to go, especially if you're a soccer fan or NFL fan.

If sports isn't your thing, just compare the packages and HD channel lineups to see which best suits your interest in programming.
post #12 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Dish is and always been a step or 2 behind directv. I have direct and my parents have Dish so I know and use both all the time and dread every time I go over there and use Dish. As slow as direct dvr's are, it's still 3x better than dish's monotonous interface and the way the channel line up is not as organized as directv.

And the PQ again is and always been a tad better than dish. If you are that torn then you should go over to friends or relatives and try both. If not don't even bother with dish and start off proper and right with the best and that is directv. Oh btw dish doesn't even BioHd which is one my fav channels with "I survive" shows.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
OP - I'd also suggest checking the lineups first.
post #14 of 40 Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Dish is and always been a step or 2 behind directv. I have direct and my parents have Dish so I know and use both all the time and dread every time I go over there and use Dish. As slow as direct dvr's are, it's still 3x better than dish's monotonous interface and the way the channel line up is not as organized as directv.

And the PQ again is and always been a tad better than dish. If you are that torn then you should go over to friends or relatives and try both. If not don't even bother with dish and start off proper and right with the best and that is directv. Oh btw dish doesn't even BioHd which is one my fav channels with "I survive" shows.

All incorrect except for the PQ statement. And Dish does have BioHD.
post #15 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have Dish, my parents have DirecTV. I'd say pic quality on many sports channels is noticeably better on DirecTV. On most other channels there's no noticeable difference, and maybe a few are a bit better on Dish. I'd say the locals are a little better on Direc, but that could vary market by market. And I pull in OTA anyways.

Direct's DVR GUI is certainly flashier than Dish, but I find it clunky and un-intuitive at times.

As far as differences in lineups go look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081 .

And for sports, Dish does not offer RSN's in full time HD, game time content only, and even then less than Direct. Also, if you want NFL Ticket only Direct offers it. However, if you want NFL Redzone without subscribing to the expensive NFL Ticket, your only choice is Dish.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if Dish does what Direct does with major tennis and golf tournaments - the access channel with several choices of matches? I've never known if that's kind of a cable thing or a Direct thing.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Does anyone know if Dish does what Direct does with major tennis and golf tournaments - the access channel with several choices of matches? I've never known if that's kind of a cable thing or a Direct thing.

DirecTV exclusive.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I just watch the main HD channels, you know the local and premium stuff. Do any of you have an outside antenna that hooks or mounts to the dish for local channels? Are you able to pick it up using the same cable that runs in the house from the dish?

If so, can you share some good models? I think locals look better in HD with an antenna. It could be that I'm use to watching this sorry uverse though.

I ordered Directv today and they will be here Tuesday morning. Anyone know what boxes they are bringing now? I got 1 HD DVR and 2 HD.

Anyone use Directv 3d yet? I guess I should probably be posting some of these in a Directv thread now huh? I'll look for some type of official directv thread.

I didnt know they have a referral system. It may be too late but first person to send me their account number and I'll call in and act like I forgot to give it to see if they'll apply it.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

DirecTV exclusive.

Thanks, this is one of their perks that really pleases me.

post #20 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

I run my OAR antenna directly to the DirecTv model AM21 off-air tuner. The newer D* DVR's do not have a separate OAR input. You can get the AM21 online for less than a hundred bucks. Prices vary on Amazon.

I would argue that the AM21 is the best component D* offers.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #21 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Will they have to run 1 cable in or 2 for the dvr box?
post #22 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should probably do some reading here.

post #23 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just watch the main HD channels, you know the local and premium stuff. Do any of you have an outside antenna that hooks or mounts to the dish for local channels? Are you able to pick it up using the same cable that runs in the house from the dish?

If so, can you share some good models? I think locals look better in HD with an antenna. It could be that I'm use to watching this sorry uverse though.

I had a Terk dish mounted antenna that worked fairly well, but I don't remember the model number. I used to diplex on the same cable as the sat, but since DirecTV changed to a single wire system, it quit working and I had to run a separate cable just for the antenna.

Locals look pretty much the same on sat or OTA, but you'll need an antenna for the sub-channels.

Quote:

I didnt know they have a referral system. It may be too late but first person to send me their account number and I'll call in and act like I forgot to give it to see if they'll apply it.

Too late. If you don't do the referral exactly right and do it first thing, they won't honor it.

Quote:

One cable from the sat, then a regular splitter to each box.
post #24 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the constants at Direct is their inconstancy, so never hurts to ask. I messed up my referral and ended up with double ones (2x$10) for a year.

post #25 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

Personally, I prefer DirecTV over Dish. I do think DirecTV has a better picture quality. Dish does have a few more HD channels, but it's not by much. You really can't go wrong either way though. If you are real big on sports, DirecTV is definitely the way to go, especially if you're a soccer fan or NFL fan.

If sports isn't your thing, just compare the packages and HD channel lineups to see which best suits your interest in programming.

Or NBA fan. Dish's NBA League Pass is crap compared to DirecTV.
post #26 of 40 Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I don't know which has the better PQ at the moment. It changes every so often. In the past I have changed every several years since both have 2 year commitment requirements. As I get older that switch back and forth is no longer appealing.

IMHO unless something drastic happens I don't see PQ improving on either satellite provider. Many believe the golden age of HDTV has already passed us by. The only decent HD left to be found is on blu-ray.

From what I have read only FIOS has original HDTV quality and every other type of service is downgrading to save their precious bandwidth for various reasons.

As my info states I live in middle of nowhere so my only choice is Dish Network & DirecTV.
post #27 of 40 Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

I would argue that the AM21 is the best component D* offers.

The AM21 is frustratingly limited, though, because it cannot scan for channels. You're at the mercy of Directv's database as to what channels you can actually watch through the tuner. In some markets, it not a big deal. In others, like mine, there are many channels that are missing.
post #28 of 40 Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 PM

I am thinking of getting Dish.
post #29 of 40 Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with Dish Network. I don't think I'm going to like satellite. It doesn't look like they have as many HD channels as Uverse and I can't do on demand in my other rooms without upgrading to the dvr receiver and buying a wireless adapter to get internet to them. I was told I could watch on demand in those rooms with a HD non DVR receiver but that was incorrect.

The other thing I don't like is the On Demand on the 722k. I started Iron Man 2 to see how the picture was. I tried to fast forward and couldn't. It kept buffering and I couldn't fast forward to scenes I wanted to see.

Another thing is the gui. The on demand menu is just pitiful. Why would anyone want to scroll through hundreds of pictures to see what movies are available in a 1 column display that shows 5 boxes/movies at a time?

Even though I get better pq with the Dish than I do with Uverse, I think Uverse is still better due to all their features, gui, more channels and the fact I have two wireless receivers in the other rooms that work great and I can watch on demand and record from them to the main DVR in the living room. Thankfully I paid the $99 activation fee so I wouldn't be in a contract and I can cancel without a fee. I would suggest that anyone else thinking about going with dish to do this as it's much better than getting stuck with over $400 in fees to cancel if you don't like it. If you plan on sticking around those 24 months regardless, it is cheaper to go under contract than pay the $99 up front.
post #30 of 40 Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had both and I went with DirecTV for Picture Quality and that was no contest. Been happy for a long time.

I used to be Nervous & Jerky, I'm not Nervous anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page