I'm feeling a little lost - OTA, Cable, Tuners, etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I discovered OTA in the last few weeks and eventually ordered a Terk Indoor antennae to see if it did the trick. Now, at the same time I came to wonder if there might be cable Channels available from my internet Cable modem.

There are (I used an old B&W tv to test), but here's my problem.

I bought my TV while living in Europe and according to what I've read, Multi-System TVs do NOT have a TV Tuner built in. I have a Hitachi 42PD9500 and according to shopmania it has a built in Tuner?

Also, my TV has no Coaxial In, only HDMI and Red/White/Yellow.

I'm confused because all the converter boxes i've found are for plugging digital input into older, not HD tvs. This is the only one I've found that has anything other than Coaxial Out thesource.ca product=1535501.

I haven't received my Terk yet, but I think from the photos ive seen that it connects using Coaxial. So, my question is, what kind of box/converter do I need to get to actually be able to either use the wall Cable or the OTA?

Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcadieux View Post

I discovered OTA in the last few weeks and eventually ordered a Terk Indoor antennae to see if it did the trick. Now, at the same time I came to wonder if there might be cable Channels available from my internet Cable modem.

There are (I used an old B&W tv to test), but here's my problem.

I bought my TV while living in Europe and according to what I've read, Multi-System TVs do NOT have a TV Tuner built in. I have a Hitachi 42PD9500 and according to shopmania it has a built in Tuner?

Also, my TV has no Coaxial In, only HDMI and Red/White/Yellow.

I'm confused because all the converter boxes i've found are for plugging digital input into older, not HD tvs. This is the only one I've found that has anything other than Coaxial Out thesource.ca product=1535501.

I haven't received my Terk yet, but I think from the photos ive seen that it connects using Coaxial. So, my question is, what kind of box/converter do I need to get to actually be able to either use the wall Cable or the OTA?

Thx in advance.

If you have an HDTV without a tuner (and the fact it does not have a coax connection confirms that), you have a few options.

For over-the-air Digital TV reception, you'll need a DTV tuner that is HDTV compatible and antenna for the stations in your area.

If you currently have cable, in most areas you can use a DTV tuner with HD capability that also has a QAM tuner. QAM is the way cableco's distribute their digital signals, and they usually do not encrypt local HD channels, along with a very few others.

Here is a list of current DTV tuners, most of which also have QAM tuners:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

Some of these units may not be available at this time. For details on why you might want one over another, see the individual topic links next to the units.

'Clear QAM' is the term typically used to describe digital cable channels not encrypted. Although local HD is usually in the clear, pay channels like ESPN, CNN, FNC, TNT, USA, Discovery, etc. are not in the clear, and you'd need to rent a cable box or buy CableCARD device like a TiVo or PC with CableCARD tuner to get those channels. If you're in Canada, you can also buy a cable box for personal use.

EDIT: I just figured out you're in Canada, and I'll have to check about clear QAM. Who is your cable provider?

For what you can get with an antenna, go to TV Fool, and post a link or the page here.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for the info. I'm in Quebec, using Videotron.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, the prices on those QAM items are all over $100, with the price of the Antannae, this is becoming nearly as expensive as having a cable subscription.

The employee at The Source suggested that I buy this http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1535501

Here's my Report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...403366d1de1509

Note: The Instant Notification isnt working for me?
post #5 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Hmm, the prices on those QAM items are all over $100, with the price of the Antannae, this is becoming nearly as expensive as having a cable subscription.

The employee at The Source suggested that I buy this http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1535501

That will not show anything in HD if that's what you are looking for. Also it is not as expensive as cable as it it a ONE TIME investment where as cable you are paying every month forever.

Also converter boxes with HD output are very hard to find and yes they will be expensive. You can;t expect a converter box with HD output and QAm to be the same price as a $50 converter box that only outputs in SD analog with no QAM.

And no you can't get in TV over you cable modem you use for internet.

It doesn't seem you should have a hard time getting in your OTA stations.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I dont mind if the the stations come in are at a lower resolution, I would just like more content.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I dont mind if the the stations come in are at a lower resolution, I would just like more content.

Well then that box you posted a link to will be fine to hooking up to a TV with only Red/White/Yellow.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

That's all i wanted, thx. If it turns out later that I want HD, then I can always upgrade :-)
post #9 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Zinwell tuner looks to be a bit cheaper from amazon.ca.

(Don't know what you paid, but the Terk HDTVi is only CDN$ 40 there, too.)
post #10 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yep - any European "HD Ready" (the EICTA European licensing standard) TV should have no problems displaying 1080i, 720p and 480i/p at 60Hz (even though Europe runs at 50Hz for OTA). It should work fine with cable boxes, OTA converters, DVD players with component or HDMI outputs.

Most European TVs will also accept NTSC analogue composite inputs (as well as PAL/SECAM) either through the Yellow/White/Red RCA Phono inputs, or through SCART sockets (The 21 pin large connector standardised in Europe for SD analogue composite and RGB - though not component - video input)

This means that North American VCRs, Games Consoles etc. with analogue composite outputs should also work.

This ISN'T a licensing requirement (unlike 60Hz HDMI/Component support) - but it is pretty much a given these days.

As you have realised, what ISN'T common in Europe, is ATSC/QAM digital tuner support or NTSC-M analogue tuner support. In Europe you'd expect to have DVB-T (and now T2) digital tuner support (sometimes with DVB-S/S2 satellite as an addition increasingly) and PAL/SECAM B/G/I/L analogue tuner support. This means no direct cable or aerial (antenna) connection is possible - you have to use an external tuner box with an HDMI or Compoent output instead.

Unlike Europe - where OTA tuner boxes with HDMI outputs for SD and HD are plentiful and can be cheap (I've seen a couple of HDTV tuners with HDMI outputs on sale for £20ish recently), the market for them in the US is smaller (as TVs are mandated to have internal digital TV tuners and have been for quite a while) so they are more expensive. The same is true for OTA PVRs.

I am assuming that your TV carries the "HD Ready" "HD Full 1080p" or "HDTV" logos - I've seen almost no sets on sale in the UK in the last 5 years that aren't EICTA HD licensed.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-24-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's all i wanted, thx. If it turns out later that I want HD, then I can always upgrade :-)

I'm not sure you understand. Since you've already spent the big cash for an HDTV, going cheap for a converter box makes llittle sense.

The difference between SD & HD is about a 5 times factor in terms of picture quality. For roughly $75 over the cost of a converter box you can get a new box and full HDTV. It seems penny wise & pound foolish not to get an HD box now.

Maybe consider a used box off ebay; at times they can be found for as little as $20.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page