HELP - What Equipment Should I Buy to Record My Singing Dogs on TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I need to record Anderson on Monday (tomorrow), because my dogs and myself will be featured in a segment on the show. (See the videos!) However, we canceled cable in favor of watching TV over the internet and OTA. Therefore I have no DVR and I do not have Tivo.

I am going to record the show on my Vizio VW32L TV that has a 720p resolution with an OTA Terk Antenna.

I am wondering what the best equipment to buy tomorrow morning would be? From what I have read it seems an ATSC Receiver or DVD Recorder. The drawback with the DVD Recorders is they seem limited, and Receivers might take me awhile to setup. I can record the show on a VCR, but would prefer HD.

Your advice would be much appreciated by myself and my dogs. (adamsautoadvice@gmail.com).

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!
-Cody, Sierra, and Adam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The device talked about here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1360146 would be good if you can find one. Any ATSC USB tuner that will work with your computer will probably allowing recording.
For more ideas look here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433 or here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061644
John
post #3 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy and setup this Toshiba DVD Recorder to tape the segment. Probably not the best option, but it will work!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAutoAdvice View Post

I went to Best Buy and setup this Toshiba DVD Recorder to tape the segment. Probably not the best option, but it will work!

To record you'll have to get the signal into the DVD recorder. The unit doesn't have a tuner (according to the Amazon info) so you'll have to use A/V output from the Vizio; does the Vizio have A/V outputs?

In any case, it won't be HD. The easiest way to get HD is the USB approach already mentioned by ctdish above, and record to a PC hard drive.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I need to record Anderson on Monday (tomorrow), because my dogs and myself will be featured in a segment on the show. (See the videos!) ]

Cool! I'd suggest calling your show contact and asking them to provide you with a DVD dub..they usually will.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

The Recorder does not have a tuner, so I had to use an external one. The Vizio has no outputs. I hooked up the DTV box to the DVD Recorder with A/V cables, and the Recorder to my TV with a HDMI cable.

I asked if they had any USB tuners in stock, and Best Buy didn't. I looked around and did not see any either.

It was better than not doing a recording myself. A member on this forum generously offered to DVR it for me and will be sending me a HD version. I know a few people who DVRed it as well, but I don't think they hav the capability to burn a DVD.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

The producers told me they don't send out DVDs of the show to guests. I guess it is too much work and time. I am sure it saves a lot $$$ not sending DVDs out to people too!

Kind of annoying, but at least I have it.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

By the way... never take advice from Best Buy employees.

The one that advised me said that the DVD Recorder might not work because stations block the signals so you can't record. He also said people return the Recorder since it breaks a lot. I pointed out people probably just don't know how to hook it up!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The producers told me they don't send out DVDs of the show to guests. I guess it is too much work and time. I am sure it saves a lot $$$ not sending DVDs out to people too!

Kind of annoying, but at least I have it.

Many cities have a company that provides a TV news-clip service for clients. If it was a news show, they might have it archived.
Places like "Utah NewsClips" do that, with the blessing of the stations, since it keeps the stations from having to deal with it.
Of course, if you want to put the video on a website or something, you still need an OK from the station (they own the rights).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I used the DVD recorder to tape the Anderson segment, which worked fine. Couldn't really tell it wasn't HD and at least I recorded the segment.

Just wanted to let people know who are in a similar situation with only OTA Antennas in the house.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page