Adding HDMI ports to my TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic plasma television currently only has 3 HDMI ports. I am in need of more. I know there are splitters out there. Though not sure how they work per say, and which ones are the best. Last thing I want to do is sacrifice quality. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You need an HDMI switcher with the required number of inputs.

HDMI 1.4 is the most current version, that handles 3D and Ethernet. Some 1.3 units will also support 3D.

I recommend professional products, like Gefin and Key Digital.

Another approach is to get an A/V receiver.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You need an HDMI switcher with the required number of inputs.

HDMI 1.4 is the most current version, that handles 3D and Ethernet. Some 1.3 units will also support 3D.

Another approach is to get an A/V receiver.

I definitely want to make sure the splitter supports hdmi 1.4. Anyone else recommend some specific hdmi 1.4 splitters?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
You need a switch, not a splitter. A switch will let you direct the output of one of several source devices to an input on your TV. A splitter lets you direct the output of a single device to the inputs of more than one TVs or other devices.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

You need a switch, not a splitter. A switch will let you direct the output of one of several source devices to an input on your TV. A splitter lets you direct the output of a single device to the inputs of more than one TVs or other devices.

Okay. That makes more sense. Wasn't sure the different between the two till now. Thank you! So in terms of an HDMI Switch what do I need to be aware of and what products are recommended? Like I said, I have only 3 hdmi ports on my tv. I want to be able to connect more than 3. I'm assuming a switch works in a way that it takes one hdmi port on the tv then you can connect a number of devices to the switch in which can be used on that one particular hdmi input on the tv?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlattanzi View Post

I definitely want to make sure the splitter supports hdmi 1.4. Anyone else recommend some specific hdmi 1.4 splitters?

monoprice dot com

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

...you can connect a number of devices to the switch in which can be used on that one particular hdmi input on the tv?

You got it!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

You got it!

And how does the "switching" work then? If I want to switch from one device to another on that one hdmi port. Do I just power on one or the other it the switch recognizes it and chooses that one?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

And how does the "switching" work then? If I want to switch from one device to another on that one hdmi port. Do I just power on one or the other it the switch recognizes it and chooses that one?

Some are auto switch, some are manual switch (push button), some are remote control.

Be careful with the auto switch, as some devices have power or signal output when it's power off, that the switch will 'see' as a device being power on. Buy from a source that has a solid return policy.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

Sure can't go wrong with those vendors. But they're expensive!

A couple of years ago I bought a Monoprice 4x1 switch. It was garbage.

But just last week I bought another 4x1 from Monoprice and it works fine. I think they changed the OEM. The new Monoprice stuff in the green boxes all seems to work well. I have several of the newer porducts.

On a technical note, the early low cost HDMI switchers and splitters were just high bandwidth analog circuits. I know, I took my first 4x1 apart to see. Nowdays there are quite a few off shore low cost chip sets to use that are true TDMS compliant circuits.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some are auto switch, some are manual switch (push button), some are remote control.

Be careful with the auto switch, as some devices have power or signal output when it's power off, that the switch will 'see' as a device being power on. Buy from a source that has a solid return policy.

Thanks Ken for the input. Do you recommend a particular brand or company to purchase one from? And in terms of manual, auto and remote controlled - which would you recommend?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have this MP HDMI switcher and it works great. It can auto switch, use the front panel button or supplied remote. This one specifically mentions 3D. Besides being a forum sponsor MP has a great return policy and very reasonable prices They have many other HDMI switchers, I just linked those two for examples.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I have this MP HDMI switcher and it works great. It can auto switch, use the front panel button or supplied remote. This one specifically mentions 3D. Besides being a forum sponsor MP has a great return policy and very reasonable prices They have many other HDMI switchers, I just linked those two for examples.

Yeah. I was looking into the MP ones. I definitely want an HDMI switcher that is newer. Doesn't have to be 3D compatible because I don't have a 3D tv.