ARC Function help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, im wondering if the Samsung Ln40C610 has the ARC function in regards to using a Sony HtSS380 receiver and porting the HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Rtfm for both. The manuals should be available on-line. If they support ARC, the manuals will say so.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I don't ARC mentioned for the Samsung LN40C610

Seems the Sony does:
Sony HT-SS380 3D Surround Sound Home Theater System
Audio Return Channel
Eliminate the need for extra cables connected to your TV. Send audio from a compatible TV to the system through the same HDMI™ cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I don't ARC mentioned for the Samsung LN40C610

Eliminate the need for extra cables connected to your TV. Send audio from a compatible TV to the system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV.

Thats a bit misleading. Yes, ARC works for OTA broadcasts, but if you try to watch a movie from your DVD/BD player or STB, you will not get Dolby Digital 5.1, or Dolby Master Audio out from the TV. You will need to go from the source to the amp first either with an optical cable or HDMI. Then out to the TV.
I think I tried this experiment with my own setup, and got a downmixed DolbyPLII signal rather than Dolby Digital using ARC.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ok, thanks everyone. I actually ended up switching the Sony out for a Onkyo S3400 with a HT R390 receiver. (Which also has ARC capabilities) I currently connect my devices via HDMI cable to the receiver then have HDMI out going to the HDMI 1 slot on the TV. Is that good enough to got non lossy audio and have have proper Dolby Digital 5.1? Will it help if I run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver alongside the HDMI?
Thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
No need for optical cable if HDMI supports ARC. That is the whole idea.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
AFAIK, the TV and the receiver both have to support ARC (HDMI 1.4). As I stated, I could not find any indication in the Samsung manual stating that the TV supports ARC.

Therefore (if I'm correct)... even OTA (when using the internal TV tuner) or any externally connected device will passthrough audio via HDMI.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf84 View Post

Ok, thanks everyone. I actually ended up switching the Sony out for a Onkyo S3400 with a HT R390 receiver. (Which also has ARC capabilities) I currently connect my devices via HDMI cable to the receiver then have HDMI out going to the HDMI 1 slot on the TV. Is that good enough to got non lossy audio and have have proper Dolby Digital 5.1? Will it help if I run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver alongside the HDMI?
Thanks.

Yes you will get 5.1, and if you have a BD player Dolby TrueHD.
The Onkyo HT-S3400 is an great system, I have it.
As Ratman says, your Samsung does not suport ARC. The way you have it now is fine.
You can hook up an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for OTA broadcasts, or even for gaming like a Wii. Thats what I did.

My Onkyo is paired with my Panny 42" LCD which supports ARC. However there is a little glitch with it. With my RIHD link on and ARC enabled on the Onkyo on at the same time, the volume cuts out everytime I try to raise or lower the volume on the receiver. If I turn off RIHD link, the problem goes away, so I have a feeling it has to do with the Viera link path and the ARC path conflicting whith each other at the same time. So I just leave ARC off, and use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page