Easy to use DVR ... HD preferred - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife missed the rose bowl parade yesterday, and asked me what options we have to inexpensively and simply record like we used to do with VHS tapes. I'd LIKE to be able to burn a DVD of edited content

Environment:
Charter cable
:analog of network channels is still here
:clear QAM of network in HD
:Motorola HD box without a recorder
:Hauppauge USB HD (clearQAM capable) tuner on my PC

If I want to spend a little money, I see the recorder from Charter as an option, but I wouldn't be able to edit or make the DVD.

If I were always home, I see the Hauppauge as an option, but I don't think I cold make it easy enough to use.

Perhaps I need a Media Center PC, either with Windoze of myth tv? How easy is this to use?

I see wanting this 2 or 3 times a year, so don't really want to put much into it.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I'd use your USB tuner and Windows Media Center. If you're running 7 or later, it'll see Clear QAM (and, therefore, your local networks in HD). WMC will also downconvert and burn to DVD or you can use any number of editing programs. Video ReDo is popular over at the HTPC forum. I use that, though the DVD quality is better if you save the file after editing and let WMC do the burning (lengthy process, but better end product).

For me, ease of use is easy. There are 3rd party programs that'll allow you to program it from anywhere and stream it over the web.

Build my own HTPC a couple of years ago. Never looked back.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

This is my first experience with Media Center ... I do have Win7Pro ... and it is not very easy to figure out. I've not looked elsewhere on AVS yet, though.

Using TSReader, I know the actual "channel" for most of the QAM signals I want ... but it doesn't find some of those I get on my TV, or more likely, I missed them. During my initial scan, 7MC found some of the QAM (their IDs flashed on the screen) but after completion, they were not considered found. I discovered hdtvtunerinfo.com which gave some work-arounds, but 7MC may have experienced some changes with SP1 not reflected on that site.

It is puzzling that my NBC station, WYFF, with PSIP of 4.1 (shown that way on the TV) is reported in TSReader on 114.1, I entered at 114.1, but 7MC shows 88.62351. Suffice it to say that I'm confused. I'd really like to be able to change those "channel" markings to my own, either matching those my wife uses upstairs (Charter box) which match our newspaper, or to the "normal" but not real old RF numbers (4.1, for example, which is really broadcast on 36.1).

Am I sufficiently confused yet?

There are various comments around that analog and QAM are not simultaneously supported ... that is, I cannot include some of the 40 or more analog with my HD and SD QAM.

Are you aware of any good resources ... perhaps a GOOD Wiki ... on 7MC?

Thanks for getting me started!
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

Are you aware of any good resources

How about one great one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...sprune=30&f=26

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

How about one great one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...sprune=30&f=26

Thanks ... I'd looked at that, and INITIALLY thought it was hardware only ... live and learn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page