Long Sattelite run need tips for Cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be installing a DIRECTV sattelite dish on my shop which will require an across the roof, down the wall then direct burial run to the house of approx 175'. Once it reaches the house, it will be split into two runs: 50' to 1 receiver and 80' to the other.

I am guessing that the 175' outside/direct burial should be RG11, and the runs inside the house should be RG6.

All discussions that I've seen regarding RG11 relate to OTA... I am assuming that the sattelite would have the same requirements.

The other thing that is boggling my mind is how to select a brand/model of cable... There are so many and the price fluctuations are astronomical.

I have two questions:
1) Am I correct with my assumptions regarding the cabling requirements (i.e RG11 & RG6)?
2) Can you provide links to a brand/vendor of a well priced cable that would be suitable quality for my application

Thanks in advance for any advice

Steve Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not sure if DirectTv can go that far (even with the RG11) - and even with Dish using Dishpro - I wouldn't want to exceed 150 feet total from LNB to farthest receiver. Maybe one of the installers will chime in if your plan will work or not.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'd never use RG-11 over those lengths... and I keep a roll of it on the truck.

You have a so-called "loss budget" of about 30dB, and you lose about 8dB per 100 feet of RG-11 and about 4 to 5dB through the splitter. You should use copper center conductor RG-6 to minimize the DC voltage loss.

If you want to have some people furnish you with more detailed signal loss information, you can start a thread at DBSForums, which is affiliated with this forum.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think the main concern with long distances is voltage drop, not signal loss. The Series 11 cable will compensate for both of those, especially if it's solid copper center conductor. Just make sure you're using a PI-21 power supply.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Stick with well-known brands of cable, like Belden or TFC.

As for the length, maybe you could try running about 50-100 feet more than you'll need, of RG-6/U, right across the yard and see how it works for a day or two. If that works (with the little bit of extra cable length), then the RG-6/U should be OK). Then you can run it all neatly.

I've run older dishes at work over 200 feet, even with copper-clad steel center (which is supposed to have a larger voltage drop).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."