Wireless router / DLNA options for Fios? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to configure my home network for maximum performance after adding the DLNA Blu-Ray players that can talk to my WD Live TV Plus DLNA server which I really love.

Of course the WD Live is wired to the Fios Actiontec router, MI424WR-GEN2, Hardware Rev F, Firmware versions 20.19.8, which is in a poor signal location, so for now I have another 2.4G router (Asus WL-330gE Wireless Access Point) wired to the Actiontec. The WL-330gE is so tiny that I can put it anywhere and trying to move the Actiontec to that location would be expensive and make it awkward to use.

The signal from that location is strong, so that's my default WiFi source, but of course it's not fast enough to stream hi-def media.

One idea I had was to "cut out the middleman" and get a router with eight ports in hopes of increasing speed. Then maybe I could have another dual-wan option hooked directly to that so that the media could use the 5 Ghz and not have to fight wireless laptops and such.

The Actiontec has only four ports, and I've got lots more wired devices than that, which means one of those four jumps off to an 8-port NetGear 10/100. I can't say for certain but it's logical to me that every router / hub step you get away from Verizon your performance takes a hit.

So what is the right combination for me? An 8-port Fios replacement plus something else to take care of all the WiFi? Something else?

I've also been looking at this, which sounds like it might be a good part of any new configuration:

Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit
WDBABY0000NBK-NESN

I've had a fair amount of CAT5e pulled thru the walls, so yet another option is to plug these things in and then hardwire other bits to these devices. Or I could let the wireless capable bits do their thing wirelessly at 5G, and connect other devices to the main router via CAT5e.

The wire has already been mostly pulled and I could call installers back to hook up everything with CAT5e to a router with lots of ports, but the money is nearly the same to use the built-in WiFi capabilities of these devices that are already paid for.

What combination of these technologies is my best bet, with money being not so much of a concern?
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page