Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

You're simply wrong if you think that the picture out of FiOS should be perfect at all times. Some channels are just crap to begin with (Rainbow, NBC Universal, Discovery), while others apparently turn to crap when converted to MPEG2 (Scripps) but aren't as bad in MPEG4. Hard to get true comparisons to DirecTV considering that they lock everything down. Food HD on FiOS is pretty nasty if you go frame by frame. These are from a recording I just made on Food HD of whatever crap reality show happens to be on at this time of night. I assure you that the nastiness is not due to any sort of signal issue, but is entirely the fault of excessive compression.

My point demonstrated, FiOS is still better than providers like Comcast, TWC, Dish, and U-verse, who all have the same poor sources to deal with, but also cram too many channels into too little space. Verizon could take better advantage of their additional capacity and crank up the average bitrates - Food sits at something like 14 on average and will spike up to near 18, but an average closer to 17 might result in a less sucktastic picture on wipes, dissolves, and fast pans.

That is pretty much what I see. I did change my TV setting from 16x9 to just scan and that did help a little bit.

Thanks for your help everyone, I can cancel my appoitment next weekend, so I dont waste the techs time looking for something that is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

The tech came anyways, guess its because I had one of those all day appointments, and he said the connections looked old and put new ones on. If this fixes the issue or makes the microblocking even less, I will let everyone know
post #33 of 45 Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am still having the same issue, so getting new coax's and tightening them did not make a difference. It could always be my tv since I have a 42 inch 720 samsung with the rectangle pixels. I dont see what else I could do to fix teh issue
post #34 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

update
the superbowl this past weekend on NBC was pretty bad at macroblocking
It was doing it a ton esp during the parts where the logo was going on and off the screen during time outs or replays. Were other people getting that to or is this something on my end. Its starting to get annoying now.

Could it just my TV since its the rectage pixels?
post #35 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, I noticed some macroblocking/mosquito noise on 2 of the 3 NBC stations that are receivable here. (37" LCD @ 8 feet) Wondering if that station had some type of noise reduction unit in it's encoder? To be honest, the overall PQ on that station seemed a bit less sharp than the other 2.
post #36 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting it on most stations, like espn, nesn, nbc, syfy etc.

Maybe I should ask them to swap out the coaxl just incase? It its over 10 years old if not more
post #37 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt it will make a difference. All broadcast /cable channels are susceptible to noise at times. I can't imagine what a large LCD set would look like at close range with broadcast TV, but evidently for many it's quantity before quality.
post #38 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

yeah but it seem slike its all the time
Could playing with my TV settings fix this issue or is it something I just need to deal with?
post #39 of 45 Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

I doubt it will make a difference. All broadcast /cable channels are susceptible to noise at times. I can't imagine what a large LCD set would look like at close range with broadcast TV, but evidently for many it's quantity before quality.

How come when I go to best buy and stores like that, I never see pixelation on fast moving scenes?

I am still getting pixelation even after they came out to fix it, and its starting to get annoying, the sad thing is. Is this just someting I will have to live with?
post #40 of 45 Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Best Buy uses a low compression closed circuit feed which is less susceptible to visible artifacts than a typical broadcast feed.
post #41 of 45 Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Best Buy uses a low compression closed circuit feed which is less susceptible to visible artifacts than a typical broadcast feed.

OH ok, so is it better to go to a mom and pops store to see? I guess I just have to deal with it then. Its not the ONT box right?

Could I see if they can boost the signal or would that not help?
post #42 of 45 Old 04-15-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Boosting the signal will make no difference unless the picture is actually freezing/blocking due to low signal strength. Many Best Buys & HH Gregg stores here have OTA capability which helps make comparisons with more familiar programming possible. HH Gregg's normal picture source looks like a highly compressed/soft satellite feed. The OTA looks much better at their stores.
post #43 of 45 Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

How come when I go to best buy and stores like that, I never see pixelation on fast moving scenes?

I am still getting pixelation even after they came out to fix it, and its starting to get annoying, the sad thing is. Is this just someting I will have to live with?

There is two things you must do. Check and see if anybody with FIOS has the same issue in your area with their tvs and if no do they have 1080p tvs.

If nobody with 1080p tvs is having this issue with their FIOS feed, and your tv is an older 720p model then the problem lies with your tv and how it handles the processing of the 1080i feed.

If all resolution of tvs is having this issue then you must contact Verizon and tell them to lighten up on the compression of their HD channels.
The symptons of to much compression is macroblocking and mosquito noise on the HD channels.

If there is another cable provider in your area then look at your neighbors HD channels to see if they have the same issue.
If this was coming from the source then I would see the same thing as everybody gets these channels from the same place.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #44 of 45 Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I do have an older TV and this model has the rectangle pixels so I wonder if it has to do with that. it does not do this on blurays but it could have to do with the 1080i.

I am looking for a new tv, but am not sure which one to get. Maybe ill wait until I get the new tv before having verizon come out again.
Thanks again everyone
post #45 of 45 Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I checked my parents house who live across town who have Fios and the same TV and the marcoblocking does not seem as bad as it does for me, I barely noticed it on their TV, so I dont know what the issue is. I may have tape a show I know gets a lot of it, then compare that way. I really think I am just going to swap out the wire going from the splitter to the TV, it cant hurt right:
I am just getting really fustrasted with this.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page