DirecTV New Software Download - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something changed in my 4 DirecTV boxes in the last week or so and I've called D* three times. The last time asking for management which I got. Two of my TVs have become nearly useless or to have them continue to work I have to turn off HD making the other TVs, one a 58" Panny Plasma, display in 720x480i. To say the least I'm pizzed. D* clean outta nowhere tells me I have to turn off the HD output of the box. !@#$@#$$%&*&*()&*#%^@#$%^@#$^#

They clearly have no idea how customers use their equipment. I'm talking about this brand new display message box that covers 98% of the screen that tells me to press and hold the Exit Key until HD is turned off. Anybody else get this useless, stupid and destructive message??? I get it whenever I press a key while on a TV connected via composite. But there is other equipment connected to the box, like the Panny and HD PVRs which record and display in 1920X1080. Well at least they use to. I've been a D* user since they came into existence and HD viewer since the towers went up on Mt. Wilson.

Christ what a real screw up on D* part. Their technical people literally blew me off. They didn't quite say 'TOUGH' but the substance of the response did. Management said they were really interested in user input but offered no resolution to the destructive new feature.

I'll try a master reset but it won't change the software in the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have no idea how you have everything set up. I also have four D* HD receivers and noticed the changes last week you are talking about but had no trouble adjusting to them, several people I know mentioned the change but didn't have a problem. Perhaps if we had an idea how you have it all put together we might be able to help.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It must be your combo of HD and SD displays hanging off the same unit? Not many people at all are doing that.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I have no idea how you have everything set up. I also have four D* HD receivers and noticed the changes last week you are talking about but had no trouble adjusting to them, several people I know mentioned the change but didn't have a problem. Perhaps if we had an idea how you have it all put together we might be able to help.

I have 2 HD PVRs off 2 of the units with a computer automatically changing the channels and recording off of them. I also have the composite output hooked to a small TV that I use to monitor the computer goings on, right channel and timing. It all works so I don't monitor that much anymore but do occasionally watch TV off a receiver if the computer is not using it. Well I use to.

I found the D* forums where a bunch of people are griping. It floors me how many of the responders reply with a ho-hum and deal with it. A couple responded that the only solution is a component to composite box. I ordered two and while writing this realized I needed three. Got to order one more. But D* IMHO blew it out the window. I mean outrageously clobbered many, many configurations. Arbitrarily...........................
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Something changed in my 4 DirecTV boxes in the last week or so x.

Yea..same issue here..I feed the HDMi to my Tv...the component to my AVR..
and the Composite to my QAM Modulator. I have 2 timers per day set..I get the same message you do on the composite output when the timer executes..but it does clear after about 20 seconds. It is highly annoying when it happens if I am watching on another Tv via the QAM modulator.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Something changed in my 4 DirecTV boxes in the last week or so and I've called D* three times. The last time asking for management which I got. Two of my TVs have become nearly useless or to have them continue to work I have to turn off HD making the other TVs, one a 58" Panny Plasma, display in 720x480i. To say the least I'm pizzed. D* clean outta nowhere tells me I have to turn off the HD output of the box. !@#$@#$$%&*&*()&*#%^@#$%^@#$^#

You do not have to turn off the HD output. You have two options. Get used to seeing the stupid onscreen notice, or connect the SD TV to the component output of the box. If it has no component input, then you'll need a component-to-composite converter. $50.

Quote:

They clearly have no idea how customers use their equipment. I'm talking about this brand new display message box that covers 98% of the screen that tells me to press and hold the Exit Key until HD is turned off. Anybody else get this useless, stupid and destructive message???

Yes, I do. I will soon order the converter I mentioned.

I would like DirecTV to offer users the option to turn off this message. I think the reason they will not do that is because then no matter what buttons you press on the remote, nothing will appear on the screen. No guides of any kind. That would be a source of consumer calls, too, so they went this route.

The conversion from "SD" to "HD" guide graphics prevents them from being usable on the SD output simultaneously.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have a setup similar to yours. My H23 is powering an HD CRT via component and an SD CRT via composite. But I've been able to just wait out the nag screen. Long wait, but it eventually went away.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the same issue for a month now. Use S video sometime when my projector is turned off. Still records in HD even when you change to SD. Although once I had to reset up all my HD resolutions after going back to HD with my projector on. Pissed me off.

Plan to setup whole house soon and eliminate all this by not using the S video output.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page