Bigger Antenna or amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently dropped TWC and am now getting my local channels OTA. I have a RS 15-1862 antenna, which is by TV #1 in a room over our garage on the 2nd floor. I take the output from the antenna and run it through a splitter, with one output going to TV #1, and the other going to a cable jack on the wall to feed the signal to the other TVs. TV #2 is on the first floor and TV #3 is in a rec room in the basement. TV #1 comes in fine on all channels. TV #2 comes in fine for the most part, but with occasional (enough to be annoying) problems on a couple of channels. TV #3 is similar, but a bit worse due to the additional distance from the antenna.

Since the signal is good enough on the TV by the antenna, I'm wondering if simply using an amplifier would improve the signal for the other two TVs. The 15-1862 is amplified of course, but I don't know much or how well it amplifies the signal. Would a bigger antenna be a better choice? I'd rather stay with an indoor antenna if possible.

Here are my tvfool results.

Edit: Thought I would mention that I don't care about any of the channels below KSMO on the list in the tvfool results.

If an amplifier would work, what would be a recommended one? I have a Scientific Atlanta amplifier around somewhere that we used to use (due to a large number of splitters) with TWC when all of the channels were analog. As I recall it was a 15db amp. Would that one work (if I can find it)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post

I recently dropped TWC and am now getting my local channels OTA. I have a RS 15-1862 antenna, which is by TV #1 in a room over our garage on the 2nd floor. I take the output from the antenna and run it through a splitter, with one output going to TV #1, and the other going to a cable jack on the wall to feed the signal to the other TVs. TV #2 is on the first floor and TV #3 is in a rec room in the basement. TV #1 comes in fine on all channels. TV #2 comes in fine for the most part, but with occasional (enough to be annoying) problems on a couple of channels. TV #3 is similar, but a bit worse due to the additional distance from the antenna.

Since the signal is good enough on the TV by the antenna, I'm wondering if simply using an amplifier would do the trick. The 15-1862 is amplified of course, but I don't know much or how well it amplifies the signal. Would a bigger antenna be a better choice? I'd rather stay with an indoor antenna if possible.

Here are my tvfool results.

If an amplifier would work, what would be a recommended one? I have a Scientific Atlanta amplifier around somewhere that we used to use (due to a large number of splitters) with TWC when all of the channels were analog. As I recall it was a 15db amp. Would that one work (if I can find it)?

I'd go with a UHF only unamplified antenna. The DB-2 is one such option. Aim it at about 30 degrees.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Would that recommendation apply to the Eagle Aspen version of the DB2, or would you go with the Antennas Direct?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Since the E-A one is a Chinese-made direct knock-off of the DB2, one would assume that they would work reasonably the same.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
At 15-16 miles and if the channels look OK on the closest TV even after splitting, it sounds like the antenna is doing its job.

A distribution amp sounds like it would work better than bigger antenna. It doesn't sound like you need much amplication, but if you;ve got a decent SA amplifier already I;'d try it first. Either split the signal and amplify the leg before it enters the cable jack or you can try amplifying the antenna signal and then splitting.

At 15 miles and 15dB amp it might just overload the tuner on the closest TV, but you can try both ways and see which works best. If you already have the amp, that;s certainly the cheapest/easiest route. If it doesn't work well, then the other options are still available.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post

Thanks for the reply. Would that recommendation apply to the Eagle Aspen version of the DB2, or would you go with the Antennas Direct?

The Eagle Aspen 2-bay ($11.50+shipping) is of good build quality. At least the ones I've ordered from SS have been.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page