post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I took the advice from someone here and bought this:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...09/onkyo-ht-s9

I am having a difficult time putting this together. I could put a tube tv and my old home theatre system together without a problem but this... well, this is making me bonkers. Please help.

First off, I was advised here that I could hook my Apple TV up to the amplifier and bypass the TV so I could play my itunes library via airplay w/out the TV having to be on. How do I do this?

Any advice is appreciated. It's a beautiful system and I'm sure it will sound great once I can make it happen. I've been working on it for an hour and a half (it took over a half hour just to unplug it and 15 minutes to disconnect everything from my old setup).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Well, FWIW, I have a Yamaha 5.1 system. The BD player goes into HDMI1, the AppleTV2 goes into HDMI2. HDMI out from the AVR to HDMI1 input on my LG. Optical out from the LG to the optical AV4 input (for tv use) on the AVR. TV reception for us is OTA only so the optical out is used for DD5.1 audio from OTA only. Via my Harmony remote, the AVR is programmed to select the correct inputs (AVR and tv) and turn on which ever component I want to use with full functionality. As far as listening to the iTunes only without turning on the tv that may be a little more complicated. You could program a Harmony to have two AppleTV Activities. One for streaming (the tv is on) and the other one for iTunes only (the tv is off) but you'd have to control the iTunes from your laptop and make sure that the AppleTV was set to access all of you libraries. However, now that I think about it, you still have to select which feature of the ATV2 you want to use, movies, tv shows, sports, iPhoto, iTunes, etc so I'm not sure how you would do that without the tv being on to see the menus unless you can set the ATV2 to default to a particular option. I never really gave it much thought though because the home audio system is in another room (I like having audio and video separated) and I just plug in the iTouch or stream to that receiver for music.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM

You can just use your iPhone, iPad or I touch to see what it is you're playing or want to play. Open music app, then down on the right side you should see a rectangle with a triangle in it. This lets you choose what device you want it to play on. Then select a song and hit play as you would normally. Only now it will come through the stereo.

As far as hooking it to your system just go hdmi from apple tv to whatever open hdmi input you want. Select that input through your receiver and leave your tv off. Then use your I device to select what you want just like you would on it normally.

I can't remember if I had to do anything special when setting it up on the network other than getting the cloud setup. Setting it up will be easier than you would have expected to be once you get going and play around with it.

Enjoy, it really is a cool addition to my home network and once setup, anyone with an I device can easily use it.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Apple TV 2 has only an HDMI and an optical audio out. You could use that to supply audio-only to your AVR. If your avr won't handle optical you could get an external optical to analog stereo converter.

That'd allow using airplay for playing from other devices through the apple tv to the AVR.

But since the Apple TV also has HDMI output and that also carries audio, you'll want to be mindful to avoid both audio sources being active at the same time, to avoid the inevitable slight delays that happen. As in, don't have the speakers in the TV turned up if the AVR speakers are also on. Even the slightest delays are noticeable to the ear.

If you want a way to do just audio playback then consider and Airport Express. It'll provide an Airplay endpoint for audio out. It'll work wired or wirelessly, but I find wired connections a lot less prone to interruptions. I have an AE plugged into my AVR and it works great. I have the Apple TV connected to the AVR, as a TV input. I could use it for audio only by simply leaving the TV off. I suppose I could also connect another line from the optical output on the ATV to the AVR as an audio-only source.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Can you help another novice!
I have a Onkyo AVR connected to a Loewe TV which has a separate box for it's connections. The AVR connects via HDMI out to DVI. There are 6 HDMI outputs on the Onkyo and the ones I use for Cable/Sat and BD are fine, but when I add Apple TV I can see the picture but get a flickering as if it isn't a good connection. When I access the instantPrevue from Cable etc it looks as if the Apple TV is Ok, but not when I switch to that HDMI channel.

I've tried different HDMI cables and also hooked the Apple TV and cable to another TV where it works fine - any suggestions please?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What if you connect the Apple TV directly to the Loewe's box?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Unfortunately it's a few years old and doesn't have an HDMI input
Reply HDTV Technical