General Antenna Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Antenna mounted in the attic from the previous owner. I've had the home since 99 and never had any reason to use it since I've always had Cable.

That's about to change.

While I don't have a picture of the actual Antenna in the attic, It's the type show below:

Now I only have NEED for a simple Loop and rabbit ears due to the strength of the signals. (It works great) I was wondering the following:
  • Would there be any benefit to using the attic antenna over the small interior I have beyond the obvious potential for more signals and possible signal overload(?). I'd eventually like to Run a splitter off the main COAX and feed it to a number of other TVs.
  • Should I be concerned about the Age of the Antenna?
  • Are these directional Antennas?

THERE IS NO NORSICAN, THERE IS ONLY ZUUL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The antenna in the picture is a VHF only antenna. Most digital stations have moved to UHF. That said the above antenna will pick up UHF signals but not as well as a smaller UHF antenna. It will be directional but with lots of peaks and nulls that will be in different directions for different channels. If you provide your location or even better TVFool results, we could recommend a better antenna.
If the loop and rabbit ear antenna work without dropouts, a stronger signal will not make the picture better.
John
post #3 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
When you add additional TV drops, you are going to lose quite a bit of signal strength,
about 4 dB for a 2-Way RF Splitter and about 8 dB for a 4-Way RF Splitter. At which
point the higher Gain VHF antenna may be needed. Perhaps you only need to add a
medium Gain UHF Antenna and combine it with the monster VHF using a UVSJ Combiner.

But we need to see your TVFool Results.....could you copy/paste the results URL here????
post #4 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

TV FOOL report

Not sure I would see a big drop in signal quality with me being in LOS to the towers. (I can literally go out in the front yard and look at them. they blink red like Ma's eyes after a hard night of drinking with Pa.)

Again, I have 20 some-odd channels with the rabbit ears and Loop so all of this is just something I've been pondering on. If the old Antenna in the attic will work, I would be willing to run the coax to the main TV.

regarding the Antenna I posted.

• Does the signal it picks up have anything to do with the "Style" of antenna it is?
  • Would a person be able to tell VHF/UHF by looking at an antenna? Would there be some Identifying markings and such?

post #5 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

You are in fat city as far as signal goes. You have two VHF stations (ABC and PBS) with the rest UHF. Since you already get both VHF and UHF inside your house with rabbit ears and loop, you could try a combined high-VHF/UHF antenna in the attic for a cleaner look in the room or just stick with what you have.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
WOW, I think those are the strongest signal levels I've EVER seen.....
So there should be no problem, even if going through 4-Way RF Splitter.

I'm surprised you don't need a Variable RF Attenuator to drop the signal level a bit,
which MIGHT be needed on the output of the VHF Monster Antenna if you use it....

RCA ANT751 (now on sale at Walmart) is a small, medium-gain UHF/Hi-VHF Antenna with
some directionality to suppress unwanted multipath signals (unlike Rabbit-Ears-Loop).
post #7 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

So the general Consensus is that The Antenna in the attic will not work with Current signals.

Would a Multi-directional be of ANY use to me?

post #8 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also recommend the RCA ANT 751 in the attic. It should work great.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If you have strong signals, that antenna may pick up UHF as well at a close distance. Why not connect it in the attic and see. And there's a chance your antenna may indeed have some sort of UHF element in the front, although not in your posted picture.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'll crawl up in the attic and get a pic.

Would a guy be able to tell if it got UHF and VHF by looking at it?

post #11 of 31 Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsican View Post

You tell if an antenna receives the frequencies you want by trying to view the channels. The antenna doesn't know which signals are which. With your strong signals, I'd try the attic antenna, but I'd add a splitter or two depending on how many sets you would be connecting to it eventually. The aim of the attic antenna, for analog in the 90's, may not be best now. Good Luck.
post #12 of 31 Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The attic antenna won't pick up anything that your rabbit ears isn't picking up now. The attic antenna won't pick up ION from 77 miles away or the channels from 104 miles away.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #13 of 31 Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

It looks similiar to this. This is my antenna, minus a few elements from windstorms :

The right side of the antenna at the end is strictly the UHF part. And anything to the left of it is for VHF.

If your antenna is missing the UHF part like your first pic you posted, then you have a regular VHF antenna. You can simply use the UHF part of your rabbit ears and combine it with the VHF antenna.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the info folks. It's exactly the info I was looking for.

I'll hook it up and see what I get.

post #15 of 31 Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With your signal strengths on the TVFool report, your attic antenna should work fine for both UHF & VHF, assuming it's aimed to the South. It should even handle splits to multiple TVs with no problem.

If you want to replace it with something smaller, the ANT751 (linked to above) is a small antenna that would also work well. But what you have will likely work. And being in the attic away from degradation of rain, snow, sun, it should work as good as when it was new.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM

I'm gonna hijack your thread and hopefully draw some more useful information out of these helpful guys...

I have the same issue. When I was running CAT-6 through my attic, I decided to run the wire from my antenna down into the living room. This was followed by disappointment when I saw I could only receive a couple of OTA HD channels even remotely clearly, in spite of the fact that I'm not too far from the station antennas.

The wire connected to the antenna is somewhat like speaker wire, 2 separate conductors spaced about 1/2" apart in a ribbon, which I have connected to a coax adapter to connect to the TV. Will this wire suffice with the new UHF antenna I plan to buy (since reading this thread)?

Also, if anyone has any good Internet resources for programming aside from Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and iTunes, I would much appreciate it. I had been subscribing to NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV, and am going to have to find another way to watch the home team from away next season, so if anyone has good resources for that, please PM me!
post #17 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

300 ohm "flat wire" must be installed in a careful manner, or it will not work well at all. You should replace this wire, using a 300/75 ohm transformer (aka balun) at the antenna, and 75 ohm RG6 coaxial cable, like the kind used on your DirecTV dish setup.

Since you should replace the flat wire with coax, I would go ahead and do that first, to see if your current antenna will be fine, before wasting money on a new antenna.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. What's your confidence level on the VHF antenna working well with that adapter + the RG-6?
post #19 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A picture of your antenna and a link to your TVFool results for your address would be most helpful.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

A picture of your antenna and a link to your TVFool results for your address would be most helpful.

Quote:

Thanks all.

TV FOOL report

Not sure I would see a big drop in signal quality with me being in LOS to the towers. (I can literally go out in the front yard and look at them. they blink red like Ma's eyes after a hard night of drinking with Pa.)

Again, I have 20 some-odd channels with the rabbit ears and Loop so all of this is just something I've been pondering on. If the old Antenna in the attic will work, I would be willing to run the coax to the main TV.

regarding the Antenna I posted.

• Does the signal it picks up have anything to do with the "Style" of antenna it is?
  • Would a person be able to tell VHF/UHF by looking at an antenna? Would there be some Identifying markings and such?

post #21 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I think Arxaw was responding to knivesout, not the OP.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Here's my report, it's super cold so I'm not going in the attic right now, but my antenna was put there back in the 80s before I bought the house and looks just like the one in the OP's pic.

TV Fool report
post #23 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I think Arxaw was responding to knivesout, not the OP.

My bad. Didn't notice there was someone too lazy to start their own thread. Guess it happens though.
post #24 of 31 Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post

Here's my report, it's super cold so I'm not going in the attic right now, but my antenna was put there back in the 80s before I bought the house and looks just like the one in the OP's pic.

TV Fool report

Looks as if you should get the channels as long as your antenna is a VHF/UHF combo antenna. Also make sure it is pointing correctly to the SE where the towers are.

In the picture of my antenna I posted above, the right side of the antenna is the front, pointing towards the towers.

You said you ran CAT-6? That is not the proper wire, it should be RG6 coax.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Regardless of whether the existing antenna is VHF-only or not, go ahead and try connecting it to your TV, using RG6 coaxial cable and a 75/300 ohm matching transformer (balun).
post #26 of 31 Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Looks as if you should get the channels as long as your antenna is a VHF/UHF combo antenna. Also make sure it is pointing correctly to the SE where the towers are.

In the picture of my antenna I posted above, the right side of the antenna is the front, pointing towards the towers.

You said you ran CAT-6? That is not the proper wire, it should be RG6 coax.

No no, I ran CAT-6 for my home network. While I was doing that, I ran the antenna wire down the wall as well. It was previously run to another location, old homeowner had an old tube TV sitting in front of a window.
post #27 of 31 Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Regardless of whether the existing antenna is VHF-only or not, go ahead and try connecting it to your TV, using RG6 coaxial cable and a 75/300 ohm matching transformer (balun).

Thanks man, I'll give it a try. At worst I'll have the cable in place and end up having to buy a new antenna, right?
post #28 of 31 Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Exactly.
post #29 of 31 Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Good evening all. I just cancelled DirecTV and have been looking into putting an antenna on the roof as there is an old mast that i can use as a base. My roof is pretty easy to get on and would be easier to connect to my existing RG6 cable as it is located right were the cable entered the house.

Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b862680c54286

Would the above linked antenna be sufficient for my needs?
post #30 of 31 Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman70 View Post

Good evening all. I just cancelled DirecTV and have been looking into putting an antenna on the roof as there is an old mast that i can use as a base. My roof is pretty easy to get on and would be easier to connect to my existing RG6 cable as it is located right were the cable entered the house.

Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b862680c54286

Would the above linked antenna be sufficient for my needs?

You didn't mention any specific antenna, but based on your TV Fool, as long as WLMB isn't important to you, then all you need is a VHF-Hi/UHF antenna (7-51). If religious station WLMB is important, then you need an all channel VHF/UHF antenna (2-51), as they're on RF 5. WTOL (CBS) is on RF 11 & WTVG (ABC) is on RF 13, & both VHF-Hi.

For antennas, either an Antennacraft HBU22 or HBU33, or Winegard HD7694p or HD7695p (while supplies last as it's discontinued) for a combo antenna if you just need VHF-Hi & UHF.

If you need an all channel VHF/UHF antenna, then the Antennacraft 5884 or C290 would work fine.

I did notice you have PBS station WBGU broadcasting SW of you. If that's important, then you either need a rotator, or a separate UHF only antenna pointed at 226°, while the combo antenna is pointed north at around 350° - about 7°. Also, under no circumstances do you amplify anything above WBGU, as those stations are under 15 miles from you. If you go with 2 separate antennas, then you can get the Winegard CC7870 coupler, & join both antennas into that. The Winegard CC7870 coupler is what I own, & have no problems joining multiple antennas in strong signal areas.

As long as you're just interested in just the Toledo stations, then my recommendations are all you need.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page