Aereo - OTA from the Internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 54 Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Aereo in New York will be providing OTA service through the Internet. Here is the theory and practice: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...-to-the-cloud/

The question I have is how the heck can that small antenna (not the array but the single antenna portrayed on the finger), located in Brooklyn, capture successfully OTA signals from New York city stations? I require a Channel Master 4228 (a hundred times bigger than their antenna) 30 miles from the broadcast towers in my city to get reception How does this company accomplish the same thing at the same distance with that dime sized antenna?

Remember, each single antenna represents one user (not the entire array) - physically and legally. Does each individual antenna get all the signals on behalf of each user? Or is the entire array, composed of thousands of these "antennas" the structure that gets all the signals?

Or has someone found a way to defy the laws of physics and electronics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Two possibilities:

1. All those little antennas seem to sit on a circuit board and I assume they are joined together in an array. It is the array as a whole, large in size, that acts as the overall antenna. Then they have a fairly large size antenna, in a 3 dimensional structure which serves to amplify the signals. These little antennas are simply components of a larger antenna. The question then is n do they have individual lines leading from each small individual antenna to a distribution point?

2. Another way they can do this is by reflection. It is well known that a house next to you can reflect a signal right onto your antenna. You may not have line-of-sight access to a broadcast tower but still get the signal as it bounces off houses.

These guys may have set up some sort of reflector, a big antenna to get the original signal and then reflect that signal onto the little antennas which act as relays.
post #3 of 54 Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Be specific with topic title; see my edit.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 54 Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good thing I live in the suburbs and am able to put up my own antenna to avoid all the hassle, and the fee!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The little antennas are just some kooky way to make the service legal. If you remember, there was a very similar service called Ivi that was shut down due to copyright problems.

Here's some links on Aereo:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=217475

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=217464

And a link about Ivi being shut down.

http://www.lightreading.com/document...&site=lr_cable

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #6 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Liked: 11
LOL...someone beat me too it Here's what I was about to post:

https://aereo.com/home

Anybody hear about this? It's debuting in New York City in March-they'll be streaming the broadcast networks via internet for $12 a month. Not too many details-I just heard about it on the local Fox affiliate. Nothing on the website indicates anything about HD programming, etc... In any event it will be interesting to see what happens with this. I live in NJ and will probably have difficulty getting NYC stations OTA, which is a problem since I'm a Giants fan. This might be a good compromise-they do tout the fact that this is a way to watch sports via the internet. I can get 10Mbps DSL for $39.99/month-this plus Netflix would be a total bill of $60 a month-not bad! I could still set up the OTA antenna for NYC TV and rely on this service as a backup if the reception got bad-even if its not HD it would mean being able to watch the Giants if the antenna couldn't bring in NYC.
post #7 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

They mention somewhere on their website that the streams are HD.
post #8 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

The little antennas are just some kooky way to make the service legal.

Yep, that's what I was wondering. If it takes me a big 4228 antenna 30 miles out to get signals, how the heck they do it with that paper clip (from Brooklyn yet)?!
post #9 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31

(I think that says it all.)

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #10 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwam View Post

If it takes me a big 4228 antenna 30 miles out to get signals, how the heck they do it with that paper clip (from Brooklyn yet)?!

Some parts of Brooklyn are pretty close to the Empire State Building, less than a mile and a half. Put the antenna array on the East River waterfront and it's got a nice clear view.
post #11 of 54 Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Some parts of Brooklyn are pretty close to the Empire State Building, less than a mile and a half. Put the antenna array on the East River waterfront and it's got a nice clear view.

So the half inch antenna shown in the picture is capable of receiving both VHF and UHF signals at one mile distance from the broadcast towers? Not the array but each individual antenna inside the array since their case is based on each individual antenna representing one user. Wouldn't they have to demonstrate, if legally challenged, that each individual antenna, apart from the array, is capable of full reception of all channels in the New York city area (coming from all directions)?

Each individual antenna is then equivalent to a set of extremely small rabbit ears, no? The shape of the individual antennas reminds one of the Winegard SS-1000 SquareShooter or Mohu Leaf when either of those is looked at internally. Except that both of these are a hundred times larger than the Aereo unit.

If size has nothing to do with the reception capabilities, then could it be the shape or material of that antenna? I doubt that the full array can be used to represent any user - it has to be each individual antenna in and of itself.

Are all New York signals coming from one direction? Which way is the array pointed?

Just some curious questions about their implementation...
post #12 of 54 Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
From the Hot Off The Press thread in the HDTV Programming forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Legal Notes
Aereo, Ivi and the Legal Road That Will Determine the Future of TV Cord-Cutting
By Eriq Gardner, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Hollywood Esq.' Column - Feb. 15, 2012

On Tuesday, a new service named Aereo was unveiled with plans to offer consumers the ability to watch broadcast television through digital streaming. Services like this have popped up in recent years, but this one potentially poses the greatest threat to the cable/satellite/broadcast industry. The company has raised $20.5 million in funding and is being backed by media mogul Barry Diller, who helped launch the Fox network before becoming a top executive at ABC, Paramount, and lately, his new company, IAC/InterActiveCorp.

Since yesterday's press conference to introduce Aereo, which will cost consumers $12 a month and include the ability to store up to 40 hours of shows, observers are curiously anticipating the reaction by major broadcasters over what digital media analyst Richard Greenfield has termed a potential "Retrans Killer."

So far, CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox are remaining mum on the subject of what legal action they might take. And Aereo itself is being careful about describing how it's going to avoid legal jeopardy. But one case going before the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals next month could play a major role in determining whether Diller's investment, in his own words, "pries over-the-air broadcast television out of [a] closed system.

The case involves ivi, Inc., which touts itself as the "first online cable system." After this company announced in 2010 that it had raised $1 million in venture funding and had a "legal strategy" to rebroadcast television online without the permission of broadcasters or content-owners, it was sued by all of the major broadcasters.

The company's strategy entailed making use of Section 111 of the Copyright Act, which authorizes cable TV companies to make secondary transmissions of copyrighted works embodied in primary transmissions so long as a nominal statutory licensing fee is paid.

Last February, a New York federal judge rejected the company's interpretation that Section 111 allowed it to stream, granting the networks a preliminary injunction. "No technology...has been allowed to take advantage of Section 111 to retransmit copyrighted programming to a national audience while not complying with the rules and regulations of the FCC and without consent of the copyright holder," the judge wrote.

Here's where Aereo comes in.

In making its announcement, Aereo noted that it would be offering its initial service next month in New York, before expanding a step at a time, a market at a time.

This is potentially a big distinction.

In the ivi dispute, the district court judge noted that when Congress enacted Section 111, it was doing so with the "understanding of the cable industry as a highly localized medium" and ivi's service, in contrast, "retransmits broadcast signals nationwide, rather than specific local areas."

Does this mean that Aereo has learned from ivi's initial failings and has found the legal opening by focusing on local markets? Maybe, maybe not.

Ivi has appealed its case up to the 2nd Circuit, which will review the case sometime next month. In a brief to the 2nd Circuit, the broadcasters repeatedly stress that the nationwide vs. localized distinction is an important one, but also come very close to asking the appellate circuit to reject any notion that Internet services get the same statutory treatment as cable-based ones. For example, the brief says:

"Extending a compulsory license to ivi (and anyone else that wishes to deliver broadcast programming over the Internet),without being subject to any FCC rules whatsoever, would vest Internet services with an enormous competitive advantage over the cable industry. And it would subject any programming that program owners placed on broadcast stations (rather than non-broadcast cable networks such as the USA Network, TNT or ESPN) to wholly uncontrolled dissemination across the country and beyond. Congress never intended such a result, which, among other adverse consequences, would place the United States in violation of its obligations under various international treaties."

Elsewhere in the brief, the broadcasters make an argument that might be applied similarly to the operation of Aereo. To quote another passage from the brief:

"Because ivi has no control over any of the thousands of diverse routers and switches that comprise the Internet, its streaming content might be routed anywhere around the globe. Moreover ivi initially marketed its service worldwide, promising potential subscribers that they could 'watch local content anywhere in the world, such as viewing New York City broadcast channels anywhere from Paris to Perth to Peru.' ivi says it discontinued its worldwide service in favor of a nationwide service, but ivi has the technical ability to resume that worldwide service at any time. ivi's services thus are inherently global..."

Aereo is touting thousands of tiny antennae in Brooklyn, with each subscriber assigned one. Will this argument fly to convince a court that its new service constrains exhibition of copyrighted material? It didn't last year for Zediva, which offered a DVD rental service where customers were supposedly assigned individual DVD players, but was unsuccessful in convincing a judge that the service wasn't a public video on-demand service.

Aereo's service opens up other legal questions too.

For example, the company's DVR plans are sure to raise objections. In 2008, the 2nd Circuit largely blessed Cablevision's plans to offer remote-DVR functionality to its subscribers, but the cable company already had negotiated at least some distribution rights with broadcasters. Further, Aereo says that its new service will give its customers the ability to view television on smartphones and tablets -- a subject that's sparked litigation between Viacom and Time Warner Cable. Viacom has stated that such activity potentially "cannibalizes" audiences on traditional platforms and therefore is entitled to a mobile fee.

Aereo's service is set to launch on March 14th. The 2nd Circuit hearing date in the ivi case, meanwhile, hasn't been finalized yet due to some scheduling difficulties by the attorneys involved, but we're told that the oral arguments could commence as early as the week of March 5th. Next month could be an important one for the TV industry and the future of cord-cutting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...cutting-291395

post #13 of 54 Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

What would happen, if I, a resident of Atlanta, purchased one of their antennas in New York? Could I then log into my account through the Internet and receive NY OTA programming in Atlanta?
post #14 of 54 Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I thought something in their hype mentioned that New Yorkers who were traveling could use it to keep up with local stations.  If I understood, then, the answer would be yes, unless they'd refuse to open an account without a local address.
post #15 of 54 Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I thought something in their hype mentioned that New Yorkers who were traveling could use it to keep up with local stations.* If I understood, then, the answer would be yes, unless they'd refuse to open an account without a local address.

That's interesting. A friend of mine, who is a satellite TV dish installer in Georgia, gets NY and LA locals through his satellite TV provider. Knowing this, I asked my satellite TV provider if I could get LA and NY locals. They told me, "No, that's not allowed due to some rules - we can only give you your Atlanta locals." Wonder if the same rules would apply to this OTA Internet situation? Or maybe not if one is an "owner" of an antenna in NY. Interesting possibilities presented by "ownership" of a local antenna and a video stream from that antenna distributed remotely through the Internet to a different geographic region. This is an interesting situation - one can now "own" an antenna not attached to one's property within one's locality... Unless Aereo will prohibit someone from Atlanta purchasing their antenna in NY.
post #16 of 54 Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 AM

I really wonder what the professional sports leagues are going to have to say about this as well. Like I said, it would be great for me because watching the Giants on NYC TV via OTA would likely be tough, but I can't imagine the NFL is going to be happy about games broadcast in local markets being streamed to who-knows-where. As for the question about the signal itself, to me putting antennas in Brooklyn would be like putting solar panels on Mercury. I can't imagine that there is a bad place in the five boroughs to get a signal as long as you don't have a huge building or a bridge blocking your view of the ESB. If you got up on pretty much any rooftop in Brooklyn you could easily see the ESB.
post #17 of 54 Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...-tv/53136782/1

In a test by an Associated Press reporter, the service provided high-quality streams over Wi-Fi to an iPad, but often it wouldn't show particular channels. The company says kinks are still being worked out of the system.

Aereo has created a dime-sized TV antenna, and crams hundreds and perhaps thousands of them into boxes the size of a dishwasher. The company places these boxes anywhere they can pick up local TV signals.

"Every one of these little antennas has a person's name on it," Kanojia says.

However, he clarified that each subscriber doesn't necessarily use the same antenna all the time. Subscribers do share antennas — they just don't use the same antenna at the same time.

Kanojia reasons that because there's one antenna per subscriber, Aereo is just an intermediary between a viewer and an antenna, sort of like a very long antenna cable. That means, he says, that Aereo not a cable company and doesn't have to negotiate with TV stations for the right to relay their signals, or pay them.
post #18 of 54 Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...-tv/53136782/1

In a test by an Associated Press reporter, the service provided high-quality streams over Wi-Fi to an iPad, but often it wouldn't show particular channels. The company says kinks are still being worked out of the system.

I'm also curious, given the above quote, what is the quality of the video stream. As an antenna and OTA user, even when I have 100% signal strength, there are signal disruptions and dropouts from time to time. Usually my signal strength is around 80%. Since I record a lot of OTA programming through a Hauppauge card, when I view the recorded programs, the video stream is not always 100% smooth.

Wonder how Aereo gets around that - do they offer a continuously smooth video stream? There are hiccups with satellite TV so I'm wondering what the quality of service is in this case?
post #19 of 54 Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Aereo has created a dime-sized TV antenna, and crams hundreds and perhaps thousands of them into boxes the size of a dishwasher. The company places these boxes anywhere they can pick up local TV signals.

"Every one of these little antennas has a person's name on it," Kanojia says.

And my Channel Master 4221 is actually 16 antennas combined into a single coax cable. Or perhaps I can count each grid on the backplane as a separate antenna and claim that it is composed of a hundred or so antennas.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #20 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

And my Channel Master 4221 is actually 16 antennas combined into a single coax cable. Or perhaps I can count each grid on the backplane as a separate antenna and claim that it is composed of a hundred or so antennas.

EXACTLY! That's why I was wondering if their true antenna is not the composite of all these little antennas. As they mention, each of these little antennas can function as your antenna at different moments. The key would be to demonstrate that the little antenna is capable of receiving all of the UHF and VHF signals from all directions in a locality without being embedded in their array.

The other consideration is do they have a separate wire per user leading from each small antenna or do they have ONE cable leading from the array representing ALL clients?

Perry Mason could make this into an interesting court case... With help from Paul Drake. Or I should say Hamilton Burger (nah he loses too many cases to Perry)?

Thus far, considerations of future legal action against them have focussed on the delivery and distribution of the content rather than the actual technology used to back up their claim that each antenna represents a client. If each small antenna cannot be made to function independently of the array to receive the appropriate signals, their argument falls apart. If each small antenna is that powerful (even at close proximity), I'll buy a few hundred, paint them black (as per the Rolling Stones) and glue them to my roof...

From the picture it sure looks like each small antenna sits on a circuit board to act as one large antenna. What is the legality of a person or business distributing a signal from his premises to a multitude of others (paying customers)? A restaurant or bar cannot charge you for watching the Super Bowl at the restaurant no matter how they get their signal.
post #21 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

From the picture it sure looks like each small antenna sits on a circuit board to act as one large antenna.

In some respects, their architecture reminds one of solar panels arrayed to create one composite power grid and source.

A lot of small "antennas" organized into an electrical grid facing in all directions to capture the incoming signals - each small antenna acting together in concert with all the others. Just like the 8 smaller antennae on a 4228... In my cased I ganged two 4228s to have 16 of them.

In some surreptitious way they may claim one of these small antennas represents a user...since he did "buy" one (no matter whether it can function independently of all the others). Just like one buys a brick of a memorial building with one's name on it. Or individuals buying mutual stocks.

The legal arguments will be interesting...LOL
post #22 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In some respects, their architecture reminds one of solar panels arrayed to create one composite power grid and source.

In looking at their picture of the array, it doesn't look like they plug a small antenna into a slot when it is purchased. The array looks full, prearranged with all the small antennas in place, whether they are purchased or not. In that case, the array, having a full complement of "components" seems to be the true antenna.

They could also interconnect all the arrays, similar to ganging antennas, to make a powerful "antenna".
post #23 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Aw c'mon guys. Get with the program. This is just another headline grabbing end-run ala Zediva. I don't see how you can be foolhardy enough to take this as serious.
post #24 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Aw c'mon guys. Get with the program. This is just another headline grabbing end-run a la Zediva. I don't see how you can be foolhardy enough to take this as serious.

Some take this as serious: Aereo has received more than $20 million in funding from investors such as First Round Capital, Highland Capital Partners and FirstMark Capital.
post #25 of 54 Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Some take this as serious: Aereo has received more than $20 million in funding from investors such as First Round Capital, Highland Capital Partners and FirstMark Capital.

People took Zediva seriously too. They had millions of dollars in startup costs and ended up paying the MPAA 1.8 Million.
post #26 of 54 Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So, a good lawyer would simply have a subscription for his TV in the courtroom, climb up on their "antenna", pull out a pair of tweezers or wire-cutters, and say, "Which is MY antenna?".

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #27 of 54 Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If this thing stands up in court I will be amazed. I give it very little chance.
post #28 of 54 Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM

remember Filmon?
http://www.filmon.com/tv/htmlmain/#O...-Sport-Channel
They were streaming NY and LA Locals for free and they stopped last year
They are still streaming other cable stations though

JIMMY
post #29 of 54 Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Already in trouble.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-b...service-aereo/

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #30 of 54 Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Engadget post with statements from NAB and Aereo: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/01/a...na-tv-lawsuit/

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page