Can I physically combine two antennas (ant1450bm & ant751r) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I've read over the forum and found plenty of info, just looking for technical answers on my particular case.

Here's my location info from TV Fool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86c2a9b8e694

I purchased an RCA ANT1450BM, and it does a rather decent job overall, getting about 80-90 signal strength on most channels. The problem channel overall is the ABC affiliate operating on VHF I believe. What's funny is I think the NBC one is too but it has great reception.

In an effort to alleviate this, I bought an RCA ANT751R based on the reviews.

So far, it seems decent enough but really no better than the ANT1450BM, and at times worse. However, ABC does tend to come in better now.

The problem stems now from other channels pointed away from that primary tower SE of me.

SO, the real question:

Can I physically take the ANT1450BM apart and add it's omnidirectional antenna to the ANT751R somehow and have it create one "super antenna"? I know I can mess with splitters, jointennas, etc. My question is more of whether two antennas can be physically joined into one.

P.S. If someone has another antenna suggestion that will work instead of messing with all this, based on the pics and info, I'm all ears and would be happy to take back the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post

Hello all. I've read over the forum and found plenty of info, just looking for technical answers on my particular case.

Here's my location info from TV Fool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86c2a9b8e694

I purchased an RCA ANT1450BM, and it does a rather decent job overall, getting about 80-90 signal strength on most channels. The problem channel overall is the ABC affiliate operating on VHF I believe. What's funny is I think the NBC one is too but it has great reception.

So far, it seems decent enough but really no better than the ANT1450BM, and at times worse. However, ABC does tend to come in better now.

The problem stems now from other channels pointed away from that primary tower SE of me.

SO, the real question:

Can I physically take the ANT1450BM apart and add it's omnidirectional antenna to the ANT751R somehow and have it create one "super antenna"? I know I can mess with splitters, jointennas, etc. My question is more of whether two antennas can be physically joined into one.

P.S. If someone has another antenna suggestion that will work instead of messing with all this, based on the pics and info, I'm all ears and would be happy to take back the others.

Are you using both antennas indoors or outdoors? With your signals being rather strong, the flat panel antenna (ANT1450BM) is picking up everything, but ABC, but the ANT751R antenna is picking up ABC, but making UHF reception terrible for some stations. The RCA ANT751R is directional, while the RCA ANT1450BM is omni-directional, & usually works best for UHF stations. Since the ANT1450BM antenna is getting your UHF stations, while the ANT751 antenna is getting your UHF stations, just get a VHF/UHF joiner, & use the ANT751 antenna for VHF, & the ANT1450BM for UHF. The Pico Macom VHF/UHF combiner is one choice. While the Antennas Direct EU385CF UHF / VHF TV Antenna Combiner is much more expensive, but if your antennas are outside, combining them outdoors will keep the connections dry on the combiner.

Note: Using a VHF/UHF combiner with the RCA ANT751 antenna will disable the UHF portion of the antenna.

Now if you wanted to try a different antenna, the Winegard HD7694p or Antennacraft HBU22 focus more on the UHF then the RCA ANT751 antenna. Even the 2 choices I recommended as alternate choices won't guarantee that you get KDOR at 358°, KRSC at 22°, KGEB at 246°, or KTPX at 227°, with the antenna pointed in the 144-148° direction. I personally believe getting a combiner would be more cost effective, considering your stations are rather strong, & the antennas you have already get you what you want to get.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I'll do some research and come back with results!
post #4 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post

[/i]

I not a big fan of those "flat" antennas like the ANT1450. I think the ANT751 is a far better antenna. But like Dave asked, are you using them inside or outside?
The only reason I can think that the flat antenna can't get ABC is because VHF is harder to get when using indoor antennas, plus it is 5 miles farther away than NBC, which you said you can get. Also the ANT 1450 is an amplified antenna. That might be complicating things also since it appears based on your TVfool results an amp might not be needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "channels pointed away from primary tower". The other channels in the area should not affect your primary SE channels.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

People usually buy those "flat" antennas because they look nice. But they seldom work well for all channels, especially VHF channels, which are often harder to receive indoors, anyway.

If you want to physically combine the two antennas, which may get all your channels of interest, try the VHF/UHF combiner, like dave suggested. Connect the flat antenna to the UHF side and the ANT751 to the VHF side. Connect "Line" to the TV.

If you want to simplify your setup, this specific budget antenna (15-1874) from RS may work just as well as having the complication of two antennas. You can always return it if it doesn't work. You may need to attach a longer coax to get it near a window and away from interfering electronics.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Rca Ant1450bm Refurbished Multi Directional Digital Flat Amplified Hdtv Antenna Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page