Pixeling problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally posted this over in the plasma forum, but then I saw this one. Maybe it fits better here? Please help.

We just bought and set up a brand new Samsung PDP 550 on Friday. The picture looked great in the store, however we are noticing some pixeling/distortion on some channels at home. Particularly when watching sports. I spoke with Samsung's tech help and they had me do a "picture test" which I guess came out okay, because they claimed it was not being caused by the tv.

So before we added this new plasma, we had two other tv's and a cable modem running on a single cable outlet. We added the new one to that same line and there is approximately 150 ft. of cable between the outlet and the new tv. We rent a flat in an old building and adding a new outlet is not an option. Would it be worth it to get a signal booster? Any other suggestions? This is my first plasma, am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Liked: 32
Okay. The question is, who is your provider that you are getting tv service through, and do you have the tv hooked up directly to the coax from the drop for the house, or through a set top or dvr? If through a set top or dvr, do you have the tv hooked up via coax, component (five cables), or hdmi?
post #3 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

My service provider is Comcast. It is connected through a set top box with an hdmi cable.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballininthamix View Post

My service provider is Comcast.

There is your problem.

Quote:

It is connected through a set top box with an hdmi cable.

Next question is, what is the resolution that you have the box set at. I ditched Comcast for our area, due to even when it was Insight, it was crap, and still is crap to this day, even for locals. And do not even get me started on the ABC & CBS provider for our area.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I've been digging through the box's setup menu but I can't seem to find anything that will let me set the resolution, nor can I find anything that tells me what resolution it is currently set to.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM

What is the brad of the box? Post a picture if you want. On the motorola boxes, you have to power them off, then press Ok or Menu to get to the service menus, depending on which one you want. Same thing for the RNG110 & RNG2xx series, unless you are in a market that uses the SA boxes and SARA guide, then it is a whole different story.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I ditched Comcast for our area, due to even when it was Insight, it was crap, and still is crap to this day, even for locals.

In most all Comcast service areas, they pass local HD without additional compression, which is as good or better than all other pay providers.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

In most all Comcast service areas, they pass local HD without additional compression, which is as good or better than all other pay providers.

Here they do not. They actually cram them in with about two to three other channels per QAM, even though they have the room to not have to do so, since it is a 850mhz system, that was built up by Insight. It is just the nature of the beast, when dealing with backwards technology, in how CATV has become, compared to Satellite & ATT. Yes, ATT is bad about downgrading the quality for delivery, but it is the right direction in how things should be going, since we are in the 21st century.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here they do not. They actually cram them in with about two to three other channels per QAM, even though they have the room to not have to do so, since it is a 850mhz system, that was built up by Insight.

?

You seem to be confused. Two ATSC channels in a QAM is passing without additional compression. If you are on an 850mhz system, I'd bet your locals are two per QAM, and they should look identical to getting them OTA.

Quote:

It is just the nature of the beast, when dealing with backwards technology, in how CATV has become, compared to Satellite & ATT. Yes, ATT is bad about downgrading the quality for delivery, but it is the right direction in how things should be going, since we are in the 21st century.

?

AT&T's network is technologically backwards compared to Comcast's. Using twisted pair severely limits what they can actually deliver to the premises. Comcast on the other hand has a much bigger coax pipe with greater potential for technical advancement. This is commonly known and accepted in the multichannel industry.

The only way AT&T could change the game is with fiber into the residence, but they won't spend the money. They have already publicly announced they have stopped building out their network, let alone running fiber to customers homes. This is why Verizon FiOS is considered a top shelf system and U-verse is considered at the bottom of the barrel.

And how can a DBS provider compete with a triple play bundle? The answer is they can't. They can't even keep up with the average cableco or U-verse in adding HD channels. Their attempts at on demand are so weak it's funny.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Ken, both are by most people's idea are taking a step backwards, due to one Coax has been around since the age of the atom bomb, twisted pair on the other hand has improved over time. Twisted pair can pull gig or better, depending on the distance, where as Coax needs amps along the way to correct the signal, unlike twisted pair.

Both are tried and good technologies, but catv companies refuse to change their habits, nor do they live up to the open promise that they gave back in 1995, that they would have the technology changed before 2000, to offer more robust tv viewing. ATT on the other hand, along with satellite have shown catv providers how to change things up, not only for security of the programming feeds to the viewer, but the applications that can be delivered.

On the other hand, you have locals that refuse to change to deliver a better product OTA, CATV, fios, UVerse, Satellite, and it continues to be crap. I compared our locals on OTA to both CATV & Uverse, and either way, the ABC & CBS were crap, unlike the NBC local looked very good across all three. Even on Satellite, the NBC is better than the other two, due to the crap delivery they give.

CBS was full of sparkles and motion artifacts on both OTA and the others, so that tells you right there, that it is a delivery issue by the OTA, not the medium, so your statement falls right there.

As for triple play, it is the cost of the delivery that is making up for the "gift" that catv is handing out to keep subscribers, since their Churn is so high. I got lucky with a discount for UVerse, due to I belong to a union, and being a long term att sub, I got a 12 month discount on both Internet & tv, which I would have never gotten through CC.

Maybe in 12 months, something else will come along, or I will stick with ATT, since I like their service, and have not had the problems with them as I had with CC.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ken, both are by most people's idea are taking a step backwards, due to one Coax has been around since the age of the atom bomb, twisted pair on the other hand has improved over time. Twisted pair can pull gig or better, depending on the distance, where as Coax needs amps along the way to correct the signal, unlike twisted pair.

Both are tried and good technologies, but catv companies refuse to change their habits, nor do they live up to the open promise that they gave back in 1995, that they would have the technology changed before 2000, to offer more robust tv viewing. ATT on the other hand, along with satellite have shown catv providers how to change things up, not only for security of the programming feeds to the viewer, but the applications that can be delivered.

On the other hand, you have locals that refuse to change to deliver a better product OTA, CATV, fios, UVerse, Satellite, and it continues to be crap. I compared our locals on OTA to both CATV & Uverse, and either way, the ABC & CBS were crap, unlike the NBC local looked very good across all three. Even on Satellite, the NBC is better than the other two, due to the crap delivery they give.

CBS was full of sparkles and motion artifacts on both OTA and the others, so that tells you right there, that it is a delivery issue by the OTA, not the medium, so your statement falls right there.

Too many misconceptions to address.

post #12 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Too many misconceptions to address.

That is in your mind. Misconceptions is what the majority of consumers and those that berate those that they do not have, or companies such as ATT with Uverse tend to do. Sorry, but unless you have either have had the provider, or spent time sitting with them side by side, along with knowing the delivery system and technology involved, statements such as you stating that twisted pair compaired to coax is archaic, when both technologies have not only shown their limitations, but companies that Lucent labs along with Bell Labs over the years have shown otherwise.

Fiber on the other hand has been shown to be too costly here in the U.S. as a delivery medium to households, not only due to the Unions that run the companies, but due to the government handhold on wanting companies to continue to use Copper as a delivery medium to the house, which still trumps fiber for maintenance purposed, over all.

You will never see fiber to the house in the U.S. ever, no matter what, and catv companies will continue to have a strangle hold on their end user, compared to other mediums. Keep paying attention, things coming down the pipe will continue to show companies like CC, TWC will keep eating the competition's dust, along with the fact that locals will never change for local service, until something is done to change the quality of delivery, to get rid of the crappy delivery they are giving to the end consumer, by setting standards that they have to stick with. The same holds true for Pay to use tv providers.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is in your mind. Misconceptions is what the majority of consumers and those that berate those that they do not have, or companies such as ATT with Uverse tend to do. Sorry, but unless you have either have had the provider, or spent time sitting with them side by side, along with knowing the delivery system and technology involved, statements such as you stating that twisted pair compaired to coax is archaic, when both technologies have not only shown their limitations, but companies that Lucent labs along with Bell Labs over the years have shown otherwise.

Fiber on the other hand has been shown to be too costly here in the U.S. as a delivery medium to households, not only due to the Unions that run the companies, but due to the government handhold on wanting companies to continue to use Copper as a delivery medium to the house, which still trumps fiber for maintenance purposed, over all.

You will never see fiber to the house in the U.S. ever, no matter what, and catv companies will continue to have a strangle hold on their end user, compared to other mediums. Keep paying attention, things coming down the pipe will continue to show companies like CC, TWC will keep eating the competition's dust, along with the fact that locals will never change for local service, until something is done to change the quality of delivery, to get rid of the crappy delivery they are giving to the end consumer, by setting standards that they have to stick with. The same holds true for Pay to use tv providers.

Like I said, too many misconceptions to address. Don't bother to reply.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting read from the FCC

See the entire recent FCC request for comments concerning potential HD broadcast rule changes.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/carriage...-signals-rules
post #15 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What type of STB do you have is it Motorola or something else?
Do you have a cable modem in the house?
post #16 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The cost of fiber today is very cheap, a 48ct. is actually cheaper than .540 hardline cable per foot. Also with fiber the transmitter/Receiver cost is down and unlike coax the penetration per mile is cheaper with out having additional amps,power supllies,etc. in the build out cost.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Source. We dropped cable 25 years ago and never looked back. Our OTA is rock solid and the pq is as top notch as the networks want it to be (which is really good most of the time). We have a mix in our neighborhood, Comcrap, AT&T, and Sat. We've actually gone thru the neighborhood comparing the same program(s) with the various vendors to OTA and OTA consistently delivers a better picture. That's not to say OTA is perfect but we never have the issues that the other pay-tv neighbors have, even with larger screen tv's ( 55" +) where artifacts and pixelation are more noticeable.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ballininthamix:

Hi, Justin! Welcome to the Forum.

It looks like this thread has drifted away from your original question.
Quote:

So before we added this new plasma, we had two other tv's and a cable modem running on a single cable outlet. We added the new one to that same line and there is approximately 150 ft. of cable between the outlet and the new tv. We rent a flat in an old building and adding a new outlet is not an option. Would it be worth it to get a signal booster? This is my first plasma, am I doing something wrong here?

Before getting a signal booster, I suggest you temporarily move the new plasma set close to the outlet to see if the long coax is causing a significant loss of signal. If the signal is then OK, buy a distribution amp to feed the 150 ft. coax to the plasma.
Quote:

It is connected through a set top box with an hdmi cable.

Quote:

Any other suggestions?

Some STBs are not compatible with some TVs through hdmi. Try a test using component cables (if the plasma & STB have component jacks) instead between the STB and the TV to see if there is a difference.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page