passive splitter for HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wanting to split my HDMI signal from my S3 tivo cable box (component is already being used by 3rd TV) to two different displays simultaneously. My Denon 989 amp will be one input which will be right beside my tivo. It feeds a 1080p projector. My other display is a 1366 x768 native display plasma. It is connected to tivo with 25 ft. HDMI cable. I've been hotswapping manually the HDMI port on back of tivo for both Denon and plasma up to now. I'm wondering if I might get away with using mono price passive splitter PID 2522 for $6 and boost the longer run with $13 extender PID 2849. This solution appeals to me because it won't need power. Will this work maybe? Also consider my plasma is only 720p.
Or do I require powered switch for $22- PID 8204?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HDCP is likely going to defeat you even if the length doesn't. Go for a powered splitter.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

HDCP is likely going to defeat you even if the length doesn't. Go for a powered splitter.

Agree.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is the same only more than 3x cheaper.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Also I believe with these switches if one of my HDMI outs goes into my plasma which can't decode surround sound, then the other switches HDMI out audio sent via HDMI to my Denon will also only be sent in 2 channel audio. However since I rarely view both displays simultaneously I believe this won't be a problem since I'm hoping when plasma is turned off the 5.1 sound will be sent to denon fine.

(EDIT)
I bought powered switch linked to above. Very upset to discover my Denon is constantly fed 2.0 audio weather or not my plasma in the next room is turned on. To get Denon to read surround sound I have to unplug plasma HDMI cable from switch and then power cycle switch. Not acceptable.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What do I do now? I actually don't ever need both my displays on in both rooms at once. How about monoprice $40 2x2 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter? Monoprice chat told me this wouldn't work but I thoght something like this would work if I made sure both out's aren't set to have the same input if I wan't to use denon suround sound? This sounds like a headache though, especially cause there's no remote.
I would use the optical splitter from monoprice to send spdif out from my tivo to both my denon and plasma and just don't use HDMI audio at all, but my run length might be problematic with a optical splitter since I'm alrady going 25 feet into another x3 optical splitter before using a 6 ft optical cable to go into my z5500 amp. How about instead of me buying optical splitter I buy passive HDMI splitter, attach it directly to my tivo and have it feed my denon/active splitter and have my active splitter feed only my plasma? From what I understand passive HDMI splitter won't allow 2 simuyltanious outputs but as long as it let's me watch 1 at a time the denon should be outputting surround sound right?
Easiest sollution would be if someone knew of a simple affordable splitter that I can swap for my monoprice one that will let me keep my plasma turned off but still let me send surround sound to my denon?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

How about instead of me buying optical splitter I buy passive HDMI splitter, attach it directly to my tivo and have it feed my denon/active splitter and have my active splitter feed only my plasma? From what I understand passive HDMI splitter won't allow 2 simuyltanious outputs but as long as it let's me watch 1 at a time the denon should be outputting surround sound right?

I think HDCP blocks are just as likely to occur with this as the initial scenario. The splitter would still be powered on and the plasma would still be sending its EDID info on standby (the cause of your 2.0 problem, as far as I know).

Some people use a mechanical, passive HDMI switch in reverse - but apparently the Monoprice ones need to be modified to perform this function. You would need to press the flip buttons on the switch whenever you wanted to swap displays.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunantly for me, my plasmas power cable isn't even plugged in to the wall and switch still dums down the audio to stereo, Not just when plasma is in standby. Otherwise I'd keep the switch and just unplug my power cable to plasma when not using it.
I bought optical splitter in effort to eliminate HDMI audio all together out of my tivo. However it weakened the optical signal too much for amp in the other room 25 ft away to pick up signal. Directly out of splitter into my amp via 25 ft optical cable worked, but I was trying to go out of optical spliiter into a optical switch and then into my amp.
I'm going to return the HDMI and optical splitters to monoprice and instead use a 3 ft HDMI cable out of Tivo going into a HDMI coupler and then hotswap HDMI cables manually from coupler. This way I won't have to reach too far behind my Tivo and I don't want to buy a mechanical HDMI push button switch since the cheapest I saw was overpriced at $20.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page