Using switch for spdif 5.1 -dummed down to 2 channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get surround sound to my z5500 spdif reciever (no HDMI) from my tivo/PS3 but having a hard time since my 5080 kuro plasma doesn't pass dig. audio. I'd like to buy a switch such as this:http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and use it's coax out for spdif into my reciever while sending video to my 5080 but product page warns if tv hdmi input cant support surround sound, spdif will be dummed down to stereo. Anyone know does my kuro plasma stand a chance of accepting a 5.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Maybe I've misunderstood your question but couldn't you go optical out to your AVR from the TiVo/PS3 for audio and HMDI out to your tv for video (turning off the tv speakers)? There was a discussion awhile ago about which tv's supported DD5.1 out via optical if the source was HDMI. The consensus was that "some do and some don't". Not very helpful I know but it was a heated discussion. It sounds to me like your 5080 comes right out and confirms that, which is what my LG does as well. For us, our tv is OTA only so the ATSC tuner passes DD5.1 just fine thru its optical out to the AVR.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As Otto Pylot suggested just run the audio directly to your receiver and use HDMI to run video to the Kuro. No need to route audio from the kuro to the receiver. That switch is worthless to you unless you need extra HDMI inputs.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You guys missed my avr z5500 has no HDMI inputs. Yes I'm aware my kuro doesn't pass digital audio as I stated in my original post. In light of these 2 facts I'd like to know if it's possible to get 5.1 sound to my z5500 without having to hookup optical directly out of PS3/tivo. I don't want to hook up ps3 and tivo optical directly to z5500 because my kuro plasma & z-5500 are in another room about 35 feet away from my main living room where reside my PS3/tivo. And my z5500 only has 1 optical input and I'd rather not have more than 1 35 ft audio cable between the two rooms since the cables will be visable and crossing my room. In my main living room I have a denon 989 amp but I don't want to have to leave it on all the time to power the spdif out being sent to my z-5500 in the other room. This is the reason I linked to x2 HDMI out switch above. It would allow me to place it beside my PS3 and Tivo in my main room. This means I only need one 35 ft spdif coax cable out of switch to z5500 in next room and hopefully feed it PS3 & Tivo surround sound.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

You guys missed my avr z5500 has no HDMI inputs. Yes I'm aware my kuro doesn't pass digital audio as I stated in my original post. In light of these 2 facts I'd like to know if it's possible to get 5.1 sound to my z5500 without having to hookup optical directly out of PS3/tivo. I don't want to hook up ps3 and tivo optical directly to z5500 because my kuro plasma & z-5500 are in another room about 35 feet away from my main living room where reside my PS3/tivo. And my z5500 only has 1 optical input and I'd rather not have more than 1 35 ft audio cable between the two rooms since the cables will be visable and crossing my room. In my main living room I have a denon 989 amp but I don't want to have to leave it on all the time to power the spdif out being sent to my z-5500 in the other room. This is the reason I linked to x2 HDMI out switch above. It would allow me to place it beside my PS3 and Tivo in my main room. This means I only need one 35 ft spdif coax cable out of switch to z5500 in next room and hopefully feed it PS3 & Tivo surround sound.

If you want help you need to state the facts, like the devices are in different rooms and another avr is involved. I did NOT miss the fact your avr z5500 has no HDMI inputs.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Whoops, my bad, your right. My original query still remains thyough; Will I be able to get 5.1 audio sent out of switch spdif to z5500? I was hoping to get some feedback on how pervasive this occurs when sending HDMI signal directly to TV, forcing the accompanying spdif 5.1 signal out of switch to be downgraded to 2 channel audio to match the HDMI audio capability. I'd like to take a chance if I have a chance at success. Or perhaps all HD tv's dum the signal down in which case I need to come up with a different solution.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Then buy the Monoprice switch and try it. Just make sure you read the return policy. However, you may end up with an audio sync issue at that length.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page