Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 05-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapriett View Post

I guess those HDMI ports are not build to take much of a surge.

I "fixed" the problem for good by switching to component video, which looks just as good to me and cost under $200:

HDFURY Gamer 2 Component - $159.00
HDMI® | 3 RCA Component | Toslink Wall Plate - Coupler Type - $10.04
35ft 18AWG CL2 Premium 3-RCA Component Video Coaxial Cable (RG-6/U) - $21.27

I subsequently discovered that the USB section of my laser printer also bit the dust during that storm. I "fixed" that problem with a $7 USB to Centronix cable.

Retro techno? biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just recently had to repair and replace my denon HDMI board even though my system is protected by a surge protector. The only other two sources that could have caused my damage are 1) my antenna 2) coax cable. I have since disconnected my antenna since I hardly ever listen to radio anyway. HOwever, I am looking for ways to protect my devices from surges that may come through the coax line

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/TII-Broadband-..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

http://www.parts-express.com/cable-t...m_campaign=pla

IT sounds like if there is a direct strike there is little hope of protection. but maybe something linke that surge protectors for the coax line would protect against other random spikes

Let me know your thoughts

If you ain't a Gator, then you must be GATOR BAIT!!!!

Last edited by jasguild; 07-22-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #63 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No to the lightning rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areometer View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by dapriett

Well here is what was in the three rooms that got cooked:

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
Onkyo TX-NR609
Onkyo TX-SR607
Sony PS3
Hannspree HSG1102
Sharp AQUOS LC-52D65U
HTPC (Motherboard with built-in HDMI: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
2 x Motorola Comcast HDTV receivers
Motorola Comcast HDTV DVR receiver

Out of all those the only device which still has all it's working HDMI ports is the Sharp AQUOS - all the other devices lost any HDMI ports it had. So I guess I know which brand I'll be purchasing for now on...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't know HDMI port was this vulnerable to lightning surges.

You so need lightning rods all over your roof.

Lightning once destroyed my mowing robot's PCB, its charging base PCB, the ADT water sensor, the main ADT keypad panel all in one shot. But laying down such lengthy low-voltage peripheral wires for my mowing robot is an invitation to lightning in the 1st place. Now I know better... Sorry I digress.

I live in Florida and have had this happen to 4 TV's and all the networking equipment every time . The house has a whole home surge protector , but that doesn't help. Lightning creates what is known as EMP (electro magnetic pulse ) , similar to what would happen with an atomic air explosion. Any sensitive electronics can get cooked and it seems that the HDMI ports are especially susceptible . AS to the lightning rods , they would only make it worse
a) attracting more lightning and b) creating a giant Faraday cage
These links will help 'splain it

http://frrl.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/on-taking-a-lightning-strike-and-the-empelectro-magnetic-pulse/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
post #64 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrumble99 View Post
I live in Florida and have had this happen to 4 TV's and all the networking equipment every time . The house has a whole home surge protector , but that doesn't help.
to protect against a surge through the line during a lighting storm is it ok to just turn the surge protector switch off or do I have to unplug it?

Thanks

post #65 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Unplugging is really the only option...if lighten can travel several miles through air, it has no problem jumping the air gap between a small UPS switch. UPS/surge protectors are meant to handle surges on the power line from transient strikes the line further away or irregular power down, not so much direct strikes very close to you house on at your house...that includes whole house UPS' too. There's a reason why all the surge/UPS protectors generally have a statement in their warranty's such as Leviton's whole house surge protector product:

Quote:
“Power Surge” means an electrical transient or spike on the AC power or communication lines, including those caused by indirect lighting , against which surge suppressors of this type are generally designed to protect as recognized by industry standards.

That being said, a lot of home insurance will cover damage from direct lighten strike which a lot people seem to forget about when losing a lot electrical equipment from a direct strike.
post #66 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Unplugging is really the only option...if lighten can travel several miles through air, it has no problem jumping the air gap between a small UPS switch.
Thats a good point!

post #67 of 73 Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM

After losing my HDMI board two times in my Denon, I am thinking about going to a UPS instead of just a surge protector.

I will have on it my cable box, lcd tv, dvd player and my denon receiver. HOwever in researching UPS, I am reading about Pure Sine UPS versus simulated sine UPS and I am confused.

Do I need Pure Sine UPS for my intended use?

Sincerely

post #68 of 73 Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 AM

I live in an apartment. Recent storm here fried 2 satellite receivers, modem and all HDMI ports on LG 3 year old tv. Have replaced modem, receivers ( no cost), however am not happy using components on tv. Satellite rep says board for HDMI ports can easily be replaced for appoximately $100, that I should find one online. I am having no luck in finding the model number for same. Has anyone tried this? Is the board for the HDMI ports called the video board or is it the main board? I have read so much and am thoroughly confused. I did have all connected through Monster surge protector. Any info is appreciated. thanks
LG LV5500 model
post #69 of 73 Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 AM

main board needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabell View Post
I live in an apartment. Recent storm here fried 2 satellite receivers, modem and all HDMI ports on LG 3 year old tv. Have replaced modem, receivers ( no cost), however am not happy using components on tv. Satellite rep says board for HDMI ports can easily be replaced for appoximately $100, that I should find one online. I am having no luck in finding the model number for same. Has anyone tried this? Is the board for the HDMI ports called the video board or is it the main board? I have read so much and am thoroughly confused. I did have all connected through Monster surge protector. Any info is appreciated. thanks
LG LV5500 model
Have now determined I need a main board for the LG tv, and the model #, however each site is out of stock. Is it within the rules here to ask WHERE I may find EAX63333405(0)?
Thanks
post #70 of 73 Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have my Home Theater on two APC Backups/surge suppressors. Lightning hit right outside my house and fried my Yamaha 765, but did not hurt the Samsung 63" tv, the Samsung Blu-Ray player, the dvd player, Dish Hopper with sling, or the speakers and sub. All were hooked to the APCs. Luck of the draw. I purchased an Onkyo 636, since that was my second Yamaha and I was ready for a change. I looked into getting APC to replace the Yamaha, but if you ever read their warranty, it would be a waste of time.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk 7.1 speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #71 of 73 Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabell View Post
Have now determined I need a main board for the LG tv, and the model #, however each site is out of stock. Is it within the rules here to ask WHERE I may find EAX63333405(0)?
Thanks
Several issues - first, you should post in a forum specific to your specific TV or in the display area.

Second, there are no new boards and all legitimate supplies are rebuilt and must come from a factory parts distributor who will have to order it. eBay and the like may be used or salvaged from broken TVs.

Third, there are 6 major variations of a LV5500 with 4 to 8 sub models in each, so getting the right board will be a challenge. And it is a non-returnable, non-refundable item, so if you get the wrong one - too bad. The high number of main boards in use is part of the reason that no one would stock them. They are probably not even available for stocking, only when requested.

Fourth, the cost of the one you listed will be in the $225 - $325 range, depending on the markup needed by the company you order it from. The official MSRP is unrealistic and only warranty replacement would ever use it.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #72 of 73 Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
Several issues - first, you should post in a forum specific to your specific TV or in the display area.

Second, there are no new boards and all legitimate supplies are rebuilt and must come from a factory parts distributor who will have to order it. eBay and the like may be used or salvaged from broken TVs.

Third, there are 6 major variations of a LV5500 with 4 to 8 sub models in each, so getting the right board will be a challenge. And it is a non-returnable, non-refundable item, so if you get the wrong one - too bad. The high number of main boards in use is part of the reason that no one would stock them. They are probably not even available for stocking, only when requested.

Fourth, the cost of the one you listed will be in the $225 - $325 range, depending on the markup needed by the company you order it from. The official MSRP is unrealistic and only warranty replacement would ever use it.
Thanks, I realize it would be a refurbished board. Sorry posted in incorrect form, newbie here.
post #73 of 73 Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had this happen to me recently and lost most of my HT gear and some computer gear etc. My question is would this gear with bad HDMI be worth anything to someone? I see some of you have had your equipment fixed, so not sure if the cost associated with it would make it worth anything. I just hate to throw a $4000 JVC projector and $1500 receiver in the trash if someone could salvage them.
Thanks in advance
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page