not getting all the channels on tc-p42x1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first off new here.well been searching all night and still cant find an answer.the problem i am having is that i bought th tv from a cousin of mine and he didnt have the remote for it,therefore i went and bought a universal remote the GE 24944 to be exact(cheap and convenient so i thought).well now i can get the remote to connect to tv but the problem i'm having is i'm only receiving 13 channels and the rest keep showing with no signal.i've tried coding the cbl/sat button to no avail.i can press the menu and it'll pull up the menu bar but won't let me do anything as far a settings.so what could be my problem ? also i'm using cox cable with no digi box but i dnt see how that would be a problem when i can hook cord to previous tv and channels will show fine.do i need to do a firmware update,if so how ? thanks for any help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysta405 View Post

first off new here.well been searching all night and still cant find an answer.the problem i am having is that i bought th tv from a cousin of mine and he didnt have the remote for it,therefore i went and bought a universal remote the GE 24944 to be exact(cheap and convenient so i thought).well now i can get the remote to connect to tv but the problem i'm having is i'm only receiving 13 channels and the rest keep showing with no signal.i've tried coding the cbl/sat button to no avail.i can press the menu and it'll pull up the menu bar but won't let me do anything as far a settings.so what could be my problem ? also i'm using cox cable with no digi box but i dnt see how that would be a problem when i can hook cord to previous tv and channels will show fine.do i need to do a firmware update,if so how ? thanks for any help in advance

When was the last time you used a TV to tune channels from Cox?

They may have changed their systems, like many cablecos, so that most channels are encrypted and not available unless you use a cable box or a device with a CableCARD tuner.

The only channels you'll probably get are local channels, gov/edu/public service, and shopping.

Check the HDTV Locals forum for your area and see if others can add more info.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It sounds to me like his "new" TV is set to tune OTA analog channels, and he is getting analog channels 2 thru 13 over the cable line . . .

He needs to find a way to set the TV to receive cable channels. Maybe he's got the cable line connected to the antenna coax input (if there are two seperate inputs). Unusual not to have the proper remote.. unless the TV came from Midnite Audio/Video Supply . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #4 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

When was the last time you used a TV to tune channels from Cox?

They may have changed their systems, like many cablecos, so that most channels are encrypted and not available unless you use a cable box or a device with a CableCARD tuner.

The only channels you'll probably get are local channels, gov/edu/public service, and shopping.

Check the HDTV Locals forum for your area and see if others can add more info.

As far as I know, Cox has encrypted its basic analog tiers in few if any markets. I suggest the OP read the manual if he has one. If not, he should download one from http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P42X1

Additionally, I suggest he get an equivalent remote at somewhere like http://remotes.com/store/panasonic/tcp42x1.html
post #5 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It sounds to me like his "new" TV is set to tune OTA analog channels, and he is getting analog channels 2 thru 13 over the cable line . . .

He needs to find a way to set the TV to receive cable channels. Maybe he's got the cable line connected to the antenna coax input (if there are two seperate inputs). Unusual not to have the proper remote.. unless the TV came from Midnite Audio/Video Supply . . .

exactly what i'm getting.and its connected right. no midnite a/v supply here lol.he upgraded to a led tv so didnt too much care for this one.guess i'll try to find a way to get it to receive the cable channels or just purchase the original remote online
post #6 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If you have the manual (or look at the one online that domino linked to) maybe you can find how to enable a scan for cable channels on the antenna input. Did your cuz use it OTA only?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
mysta405:

Welcome to the forum.
Did you look at the manual as domino92024 suggested? Manual here:
service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42X1.PDF
Quote:

...i'm only receiving 13 channels and the rest keep showing with no signal.i've tried coding the cbl/sat button to no avail.i can press the menu and it'll pull up the menu bar but won't let me do anything as far a settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

He needs to find a way to set the TV to receive cable channels.

I agree; you need to get into the menu to change the set from antenna to cable.

Until you get an original Panasonic N2QAYB000321 remote, you can use the buttons on the back of the set to get into the setup part of the menu....see the attachments.

Please let us know how it works out.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Panasonic Viera X1 Series Tc P42x1 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P42x1 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page