Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dear Wisemen,

Forgive me. My ignorance overwhelms me.

For your torment, the scenario.

New TV purchased. 720p.
DirecTV -- no HDMI port on back of box. But yes to RGB and RWY.

Alternative 1: TV is hooked up to box via that single black cable.
Result: Picture quality is terrible. 480i. (Image is worse than what was displayed on 16 year-old tube TV.)

Alternative 2: TV is hooked up via Red, White, Yellow cables. Source/Input is switched.
Result: Picture quality is better than Alternative 1, but still worse than what was displayed on old television.

I understand that an HDTV can't make chicken salad out of chicken -- ahem. Therefore, if I want HD image quality I will need an HD box from DirecTV.

The question is this: Will Red, Green, Blue cables offer better picture quality than what is provided via Alternative 2: red, white, yellow? In other words, will RGB allow me to have something less than HD but something that is akin to what I had on the old, tube television?

If I am on the proper track then would someone be so kind as to recommend a brand of RGB, assuming brand truly makes a difference? Additionally, it's my understanding that if I go the RGB route I will need to purchase audio cables, as RGB carries video only. Again, a brand recommendation would be appreciated.

To repeat, I offer my apologies for the elementary level of this query. The forum offers so much that an techno-ignoramus such as myself can feel overwhelmed by where to begin.

Appreciatively yours,
Lex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a connection labeled DVI? If so you can buy and DVI to HDMI cable pretty cheap. The picture will be excellent but there will be no sound. You'll need the Red/Blue for analog or Optical or Coaxial for digital.

If none of the above is available you may have put the cart before the horse and our receiver is basically obsolete by today's digital standards.

On the good side, you get a great picture and great sound you may end up spending far more time than you should staring at the boob tube.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxloco View Post

New TV purchased. 720p.
DirecTV -- no HDMI port on back of box. But yes to RGB....

This info doesn't make sense.
What is the model number of the DirecTV box? Then we can help.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Dear Wisemen,

Forgive me. My ignorance overwhelms me.

For your torment, the scenario.

New TV purchased. 720p.
DirecTV -- no HDMI port on back of box. But yes to RGB and RWY.

Alternative 1: TV is hooked up to box via that single black cable.
Result: Picture quality is terrible. 480i. (Image is worse than what was displayed on 16 year-old tube TV.)

Alternative 2: TV is hooked up via Red, White, Yellow cables. Source/Input is switched.
Result: Picture quality is better than Alternative 1, but still worse than what was displayed on old television.

I understand that an HDTV can't make chicken salad out of chicken -- ahem. Therefore, if I want HD image quality I will need an HD box from DirecTV.

The question is this: Will Red, Green, Blue cables offer better picture quality than what is provided via Alternative 2: red, white, yellow? In other words, will RGB allow me to have something less than HD but something that is akin to what I had on the old, tube television?

If I am on the proper track then would someone be so kind as to recommend a brand of RGB, assuming brand truly makes a difference? Additionally, it's my understanding that if I go the RGB route I will need to purchase audio cables, as RGB carries video only. Again, a brand recommendation would be appreciated.

Well for a HD quality picture yes you need an HD box as well has HD service. If you had HD service you would have an HD box.

Will component cable make SD picture look better than the other 2 ways you mentioned? maybe a bit. Won't be HD though. As far as brand. Doesn't matter. And you can get component cables with the audio cables attatched.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If OP has the new DirecTV satellite dish installed then with the HD receiver he will have a HD picture using a HDMI cable.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well for a HD quality picture yes you need an HD box as well has HD service. If you had HD service you would have an HD box.

Will component cable make SD picture look better than the other 2 ways you mentioned? maybe a bit. Won't be HD though. As far as brand. Doesn't matter. And you can get component cables with the audio cables attatched.

I'm pretty sure there were never any DirecTV SD boxes with component or RGB out. And I'm also pretty sure if there was one, it would have been before DirecTV started to brand their own products, so it wouldn't get much if any HD these days anyway because none of them were MPEG4 compatible.

In other words, if the box is SD it will only have RF, composite, or S-Video out. If it's HD, it will have HDMI and component capability.

This is why I asked for the box model number.

post #7 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The last time I checked even 720p HD TV's have HDMI inputs. I had one in the MBR before I moved into a 1080p one. With both TV's I used D* H20200 HD satellite receiver which is HDMI equipped. The D*H20100 and other receivers work as well. Come-on guys am I missing something here? This member should have contacted Directv when he switched to HD. I must also note that this member has NOT told us if a different dish was installed which is required with HDTV.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #8 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Come-on guys am I missing something here?

Yes.

He said
Quote:

Therefore, if I want HD image quality I will need an HD box from DirecTV.

He doesn't have have HD box.

He didn't say anything about the HDTV not having HDMI.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I'm pretty sure there were never any DirecTV SD boxes with component or RGB out. And I'm also pretty sure if there was one, it would have been before DirecTV started to brand their own products, so it wouldn't get much if any HD these days anyway because none of them were MPEG4 compatible.

In other words, if the box is SD it will only have RF, composite, or S-Video out. If it's HD, it will have HDMI and component capability.

This is why I asked for the box model number.

Ok so does DirecTv hand out HD boxes for people that only get SD service?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Ok so does DirecTv hand out HD boxes for people that only get SD service?

No, but it might be possible for a sub to have HD service and and HD box, then cancel the HD service and use the box for SD only. I think.

Still, the box wouldn't have RGB output.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gentleman, thank you for your prompt and helpful replies. Alas, upon further review I fear I may have wasted everyone's time.

Upon request, I have returned to my relative's home and noted the model number of the DirecTv receiver. That number is

R16NC-500

Taking a gander at the back of the unit I see connections for S-Video and for Red, White, Yellow. I see no ports for Red, Green, Blue.

Thus, it would appear that the picture quality of Alternative 2 is the best picture quality that can be attained with this box.

My goal throughout was to recapture the picture quality lost by the acquisition of the new, improved television. My goal was never to get HD picture quality. Rather, I was merely trying to keep the status quo.

What an irony: a higher quality television results in worse picture quality. Rest assured, I have learned my lesson: when my wife's eyeglasses are due for a new prescription, she ain't gettin' it.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Gentleman, thank you for your prompt and helpful replies. Alas, upon further review I fear I may have wasted everyone's time.

Upon request, I have returned to my relative's home and noted the model number of the DirecTv receiver. That number is

R16NC-500

Taking a gander at the back of the unit I see connections for S-Video and for Red, White, Yellow. I see no ports for Red, Green, Blue.

Thus, it would appear that the picture quality of Alternative 2 is the best picture quality that can be attained with this box.

My goal throughout was to recapture the picture quality lost by the acquisition of the new, improved television. My goal was never to get HD picture quality. Rather, I was merely trying to keep the status quo.

What an irony: a higher quality television results in worse picture quality. Rest assured, I have learned my lesson: when my wife's eyeglasses are due for a new prescription, she ain't gettin' it.

After springing for an HDTV, it would be penny wise & pound foolish to not get an HD box from DirecTV. At least call them and see what they would do for the upgrade. Mention you will consider other providers if they can't step up.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ken has it right - at the very least, a TV with a 4:3 image size about the same size as your previous set would have hidden the image quality more effectively than than having a larger picture. For example - my current TV is a 32 inch 16:9 wide screen 720p class TV. I selected this one because a 4:3 image is about the same size as the 27 inch Sony CRT TV it replaced. While my satellite receiver isn't HD, at least the picture quality is comparable to the CRT, and it's even closer using the S-video connection rather than the composite or RF inputs.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

ken has it right - at the very least, a TV with a 4:3 image size about the same size as your previous set would have hidden the image quality more effectively than than having a larger picture. For example - my current TV is a 32 inch 16:9 wide screen 720p class TV. I selected this one because a 4:3 image is about the same size as the 27 inch Sony CRT TV it replaced. While my satellite receiver isn't HD, at least the picture quality is comparable to the CRT, and it's even closer using the S-video connection rather than the composite or RF inputs.

The TV size and CRT VS WS are totally irrelevant to the subject, period. He also needs to upgrade to an HD satellite dish to enjoy HD picture quality. Having an HDTV with an SD satellite receiver is counterproductive.

Home Theater Aficionado
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page