Cracked Screen = Dead Plasma? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a neophyte, so this may seem like an absurdly stupid question:

I have a 10 month old Samsung 51" Plasma that I love(d).

Earlier today, my 2 year old son threw a plastic ball at the screen while I was at work. I came home and found out about his actions and noticed there are now two star shaped cracks on the screen (look like the impact from bullets).

The television does not turn on, the indicator light only flashes a few times and then shuts off.

I am aware that the screen will likely have to be replaced, especially since the cracks appear to be on the backside of the glass.

Is there any possibility of this being a fixable problem? Having to trash this TV so quickly is a very painful thought for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle20 View Post

I'm a neophyte, so this may seem like an absurdly stupid question:

I have a 10 month old Samsung 51" Plasma that I love(d).

Earlier today, my 2 year old son threw a plastic ball at the screen while I was at work. I came home and found out about his actions and noticed there are now two star shaped cracks on the screen (look like the impact from bullets).

The television does not turn on, the indicator light only flashes a few times and then shuts off.

I am aware that the screen will likely have to be replaced, especially since the cracks appear to be on the backside of the glass.

Is there any possibility of this being a fixable problem? Having to trash this TV so quickly is a very painful thought for me.

I'd get a repair estimate but it will probably be about the same, or more, as buying as a new one.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
From your experience, any difference in getting a quote from Samsung or a third-party like Geek Squad or some local shop?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle20 View Post

From your experience, any difference in getting a quote from Samsung or a third-party like Geek Squad or some local shop?

It shouldn't matter too much, but I'd probably call and simply ask what the approximate cost of replacing a screen like yours. If you take it in, they may charge a fee to give you an exact cost.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A place like http://www.moniserv.com/ can repair just about any plasma problem... except cracked glass. That said your monitor does have value as a donor to other units that have bad electronics.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 65
What is the model number? I can check the panel cost from my parts distributors.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Liked: 0
I am having issues with my TV as well.

I have a 60" 3D Smart Samsung TV. The display screen cracked by itself when turning it on recently and about a week later the screen went black. It has sound but no picture.

I called Samsung many times and they will not do anything about. It's out of warranty, but it should still last longer than a couple of years.

I am looking for people who have experienced a similar thing and I'm hoping that a class action lawsuit might be possible.

If you've experienced the same thing with your screen failing or going black please contact Siskinds law firm here -
siskinds.com or Email: hello at siskinds.com and explain your situation.

If they get enough people contacting them they make consider a law suit against Samsung.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 159
In the past several months BOTH of my kids experienced different 4-yo Grand-Kidz throwing Remote Controls at their Panasonic 3D Plasmas, cracking the screens. I GAVE my Panasonic Plasma away to my daughter, since their sets of 3D Googles (some in kidz sizes) all matched up. Which meant I could buy a Samsung Smart 3D UDTV....which my son later matched....after a respectful "mourning period" of NO TV in their home.

I think that LED types are more robust to thrown objects, since it does NOT have a GLASS front panel. And if you DO decide to to get another (lower cost?) Plasma (or LED), check out plastic protective panels for the ENTIRE SCREEN.

I love the huge dynamic range of Plasma's...and the lower cost, but Samsung Smart 3D UDTV is the First LED type TV I can actually LIVE with without going crazy adjusting the various Video controls (as the earlier set tried vainly to overcome it's dynamic deficiencies...forcing the exchange to the Panasonic Plasma) And by the end of the year, we should be able to buy UDTV BD-Players and Discs...and in the meantime Netflix, DirecTV, et.al. have a few programs available.

Last edited by holl_ands; 04-20-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Let me count the ways.

Baseball bat, baseball, football, game controller, hockey stick and now a plastic ball and a remote control!

Children and Plasma's don't mix! DUH!

When will the adults learn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement