My tv audio is crackling when playing .mkv files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When playing hd DTS 1.5mbps .mkv files from my computer through an hdmi cable to my Samsung led tv, there appears to be quite a bit of crackling and popping.

It doesnt pop on normal Xvid files, DVDs, or music files from what I have noticed so far at least.

If anyone has a fix for this I'd appreciate it.

My setup:
Pc windows7
VLC media player
Quad core i5
4gb ddr3 ram
Ati radeon 1gb ddr3 5770
Rocket fish hdmi cable
Samsung un46d6000
No speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

460 views and no one has any idea? Really? Is this not the right section or even forum?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Can the files be played back on another audio device (PC speakers?) without a problem? Does your HDTV have the latest software updates?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Can the files be played back on another audio device (PC speakers?) without a problem? Does your HDTV have the latest software updates?

The audio plays perfectly through my computer speakers but they are hooked directly to the computer eliminating the hdmi cable. I believe that reduces the possibilities to either hdmi cable or tv speakers.

I am fairly certain it is upto date... I can't seem to find out how to update it anyway

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The HDMI audio should be relying on the TV to decode the DTS signal. The PC speakers would be relying on the audio card/chip in the computer to decode and probably downmix (to 2 ch or 2.1?). There could be something about the files that are incompatible with the TV. The cable and/or the TV speakers are the least likely culprits. Encoding, format, and decoding are the places where the problems would most likely be coming from.

You could try a different player (MPC?) to see if VLC is doing something to the files as it passes them to the TV.

Another test would be to burn them to a disk and play them on a Blu-Ray player, bypassing the PC as a possibility.

Other things to do would be to examine the technical details of the files (Mediainfo?) and try similar mkv's but with different audio characteristics.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by .enKay View Post

The audio plays perfectly through my computer speakers but they are hooked directly to the computer eliminating the hdmi cable. I believe that reduces the possibilities to either hdmi cable or tv speakers.

I am fairly certain it is upto date... I can't seem to find out how to update it anyway

Thanks for your help.

If the video signal is solid (with no sparklies), then it is unlikely to be the HDMI cable, as the audio is carried in the same data stream on the same pins as the video (the audio packets are carried in blanking)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

The HDMI audio should be relying on the TV to decode the DTS signal. The PC speakers would be relying on the audio card/chip in the computer to decode and probably downmix (to 2 ch or 2.1?). There could be something about the files that are incompatible with the TV. The cable and/or the TV speakers are the least likely culprits. Encoding, format, and decoding are the places where the problems would most likely be coming from.

You could try a different player (MPC?) to see if VLC is doing something to the files as it passes them to the TV.

Another test would be to burn them to a disk and play them on a Blu-Ray player, bypassing the PC as a possibility.

Other things to do would be to examine the technical details of the files (Mediainfo?) and try similar mkv's but with different audio characteristics.

Thanks for the input.

I tried using MPC and it doesn't seem to crackle or pop at all. So I tried going back into VLC player to change audio channels which did nothing to reduce the problem.

I would be fine using MPC but I switched to VLC because I had problems with MPC playing high bitrate movies (like Avatar 16000kbps) smoothly, it seemd to chop at fast pace parts where as VLC didn't. I just watched through some of Avatar after re-downloading MPC and it seems to be fine so I don't know lol. Maybe they have released a newer version for it.

I wonder why VLC has problems playing DTS 1.5 though?

As of right now I guess the problem is VLC, I would have to watch more files to see if they crack in MPC to be sure that is the isue.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page