Splitting a Directv receiver please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HR-24-100HD/DVR receiver in my living room. I want to split it and run a coaxial to the kitchen for another TV (HD TV but don't care so much about the HD signal).
I realize I will have to watch the same thing on both tvs and that is fine. But what I want to know, is will this work? And will it affect the HD signal in the living room even though I am only using coaxial to the kitchen?

AND....if I am watching something in HD in the living room will that programming show up in the kitchen if it is not connected with an HDMI cable?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
BamaMatt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,673
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Not exactly sure what you're asking.

Are you putting another DirecTV receiver in the kitchen?

Are you looking to just run another output from the living room to the television in the kitchen?

Coax cabling generally refers to how the satellite signal gets from the dish to the receiver.
Video or HDMI cabling is how the picture gets from the receiver to the display.

(For the sake of clarity, I won't get into video cabling that uses RG-6, etc)

I'm going to go on a hunch and say you want to feed a second display (kitchen) from the living room receiver. If the second TV is equipped with an HDMI input, your easiest bet would be to head to monoprice.com and pick up whatever length of HDMI cable you'll need along with a powered HDMI splitter and an HDMI cable to feed the living room television. I'm assuming the kitchen is < 100ft from the living rm.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the confusion...

No receiver in the kitchen. I am trying to run the tv in the kitchen off the receiver in the living room.

While I am buying small 19' LCD tv for the kitchen I do not care if it is in HD. I do realize I will have to watch the same thing in both rooms.

If I split it (coaxial or HD) will it compromise my HD feed in the living room?
BamaMatt is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tell me more about the wireless SD video signal.

If I am watching an HD program in the living room will it convert (or whatever you call it) to SD in the kitchen?
BamaMatt is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't be sure - you'd have to check if the tuner can send out A/V through HDMI and composite at the same time.

If you're using HDMI from the tuner to the main TV, the composite video output may be automatically shut off. That's often how it works with most HDMI devices these days (although the audio will sometimes still work).

If it puts out audio and video on both, I imagine it would work, since the Direct tuner would already automatically be downscaling the resolution.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I can't be sure - you'd have to check if the tuner can send out A/V through HDMI and composite at the same time.

If you're using HDMI from the tuner to the main TV, the composite video output may be automatically shut off. That's often how it works with most HDMI devices these days (although the audio will sometimes work, in case you want to run the sound into a receiver).

If it puts out both A/V on both, I'd think it would work.

Ok, does the wireless part have anything to do with your internet connection?

Also, I have a Yamaha rx-v571 HTS, can this help me in any way get something different to work?

Also, any video senders that you suggest?
BamaMatt is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Ok, does the wireless part have anything to do with your internet connection?

No - nothing whatsoever. Well - at least I wouldn't think so - unless maybe there'd be some interference between the two. The "senders" come in both 2.4 and 5 GHz varieties. You might want to take that into consideration, depending on which frequency range you're using from your router to any other, wireless devices.

The Yamaha shouldn't enter into anything (that's your receiver, I'm assuming?). Even if you have the HDMI running through it for the main TV, the wireless sending unit will just be hooked up directly to the Direct tuner's composite A/V out.

Look on Amazon, at least to start. They seemed to have some good prices there when I looked. That $50-something Terk I linked to earlier (before I deleted the post ) was priced well. I think it's like $100 in most B&M stores.

I'd suggest just searching there under "wireless video senders", and checking out some of the reviews. I don't really have any experience with any of them myself (maybe somebody else here does?).

If you want HD, and can run the cable from a Monoprice HDMI splitter to the 2nd TV, Dr. Don's suggestion ought to work OK, and should be in about the same area, price-wise.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No - nothing whatsoever. Well - at least I wouldn't think so - unless maybe there'd be some interference between the two. The "senders" come in both 2.4 and 5 GHz varieties. You might want to take that into consideration, depending on which frequency range you're using from your router to any other, wireless devices.

The Yamaha shouldn't enter into anything (that's your receiver, I'm assuming?). Even if you have the HDMI running through it for the main TV, the wireless sending unit will just be hooked up directly to the Direct tuner's composite A/V out.

Look on Amazon, at least to start. They seemed to have some good prices there when I looked. That $50-something Terk I linked to earlier (before I deleted the post ) was priced well. I think it's like $100 in most B&M stores.

I'd suggest just searching there under "wireless video senders", and checking out some of the reviews. I don't really have any experience with any of them myself (maybe somebody else here does?).


I appreciate the info. I hope some other people chime in. The reviews I read on the Terk one you referenced is that it gets a lot of interference with your wireless internet, your microwave, cordless phone (don't have one) and oven. Some of the reviews were pretty dated though, so I'm not sure if the issues have been fixed.

For others wondering, I am not looking to spend much over $100 for one. The distance from the receiver and sender would be about 25 feet and would go through 1 wall. Any suggestions on what I might need would be greatly appreciated.
BamaMatt is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

I appreciate the info. I hope some other people chime in. The reviews I read on the Terk one you referenced is that it gets a lot of interference with your wireless internet, your microwave, cordless phone (don't have one) and oven. Some of the reviews were pretty dated though, so I'm not sure if the issues have been fixed.

I think the Terk was 2.4 GHz, so possibly the 5 GHz ones would be less susceptible.

Those usually do cost a few bucks more.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
retiredengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is a review of several wireless hdmi systems that can transmit a HD signal across a house at:

hdguru.com/iogear-wireless-3d-hdmi-digital-kit-first-review/6808/#more-6808

However they may be too expensive for what you are trying to do.
retiredengineer is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,673
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Your best bet is to do what I mentioned in my post. Newer DirecTV receivers (such as yours) are cranky about outputting HD and SD at the same time. If you have one TV connected via component or HDMI (your living room set) and you try to feed a wireless transmitter with the composite video (SD), your kitchen television is going to get a nag screen and a squeezed picture. If you reset your receiver for SD, then the living room will get the nag screen. I have the exact same setup and I'm replacing it with component cabling because I'm sick of the nag screen and the interference from my router and my cell phone.

They do make an HDMI wireless solution, but as mentioned, it's not cheap and not as reliable as a wired connection. Get the HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to the kitchen set.

And, as mentioned, you could have interference issues from your wireless router and microwave ovens.

Go wired. PITA to fish and route the cable, but once it's done, it's done.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BamaMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Your best bet is to do what I mentioned in my post. Newer DirecTV receivers (such as yours) are cranky about outputting HD and SD at the same time. If you have one TV connected via component or HDMI (your living room set) and you try to feed a wireless transmitter with the composite video (SD), your kitchen television is going to get a nag screen and a squeezed picture. If you reset your receiver for SD, then the living room will get the nag screen. I have the exact same setup and I'm replacing it with component cabling because I'm sick of the nag screen and the interference from my router and my cell phone.

They do make an HDMI wireless solution, but as mentioned, it's not cheap and not as reliable as a wired connection. Get the HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to the kitchen set.

And, as mentioned, you could have interference issues from your wireless router and microwave ovens.

Go wired. PITA to fish and route the cable, but once it's done, it's done.

Ok, thank you for the input. But will splitting and HDMI cable like that Hurt my picture quality on either tv?
BamaMatt is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,673
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Ok, thank you for the input. But will splitting and HDMI cable like that Hurt my picture quality on either tv?

As long as you use an amplified splitter and keep the cable length under 100 feet, you shouldn't see breakups on either television.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

As long as you use an amplified splitter and keep the cable length under 100 feet, you shouldn't see breakups on either television.

...and the signal quality will be identical on both, and as good as if just going to one HDTV.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off