post #31 of 47 Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

I'd say that your statement is true if we use "picture will APPEAR TO be". It is questionable how much worse, however.

I've looked at many different models owned by friends showing SD signals on HD sets, and would opine that there is significant difference in the scaling by different manufacturers. My wife and I actually find that _MUCH_ SD content looks quite good on our rear-projection 720P Sony.

I've seen a friend's Panasonic which was terrible scaling the SD. Both were connected to Charter cable.

YMMV.

Personally, I believe its the de-interlacing rather than the scaling that is the issue on poor SD quality on fixed pixel displays. (that's probably nit-picking on my part but the two functions are separate)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Philips no longer sells TVs in the U.S.; any TVs you see in the U.S. with the Philips brand will be made and sold by the Japanese company Funai, which has a license to use the Philips brand here.

http://displaydaily.com/2009/03/12/w...cinema-219-tv/

Since 2008, I believe.
http://gizmodo.com/377355/philips-wo...merica-anymore

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #33 of 47 Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To the OP - If you're going to try another display, you might want to give plasma technology some consideration.

The conventional view is that plasma puts out something much closer to a "CRT-like" picture, and generally speaking, they'll make a more marginal SD signal look better than an LCD can - which may matter if you're going to sit closer.

Even if you do get HD, you might want to consider if you'll still be watching any SD at any time, and if so, how much, and how important the PQ from those channels will be to you.

Anyway, no matter what you decide to do, definitely swap out the display you have now, even if it's with another of the same model, because of that very-noticable, uneven edge-lighting. That's a quality control issue.
post #34 of 47 Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You now have an HDTV. IMO, you shouldn't pay for programming that isn't HD.

For a one-time fee of $16 you can get a decent over the air antenna for Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, the CW, etc in HD for free. If you choose to continue to pay for cable or satellite I would splurge to get decent looking HD programming for your nice new HD display.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #35 of 47 Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbog View Post

you now have an hdtv. Imo, you shouldn't pay for programming that isn't hd.

For a one-time fee of $16 you can get a decent over the air antenna for fox, cbs, abc, nbc, pbs, the cw, etc in hd for free. If you choose to continue to pay for cable or satellite i would splurge to get decent looking hd programming for your nice new hd display.

+1
post #36 of 47 Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

Thanks guys.

I had a pretty good picture on our old 27" Sony tube TV, and figured the 46" would offer an equivalent picture without needing the additional HD service; however, the picutre on the 46" appears blurry at times.

I'm wondering if the picture on a 42" would be any better than the 46" with just regular digital service?

I have DirecTV SD displayed on a 46 inches LCD 60 Hz TV and I get an acceptable picture by reducing the 'sharpness' and turning off all the picture enhancements. Go into your video menu and try the various adjustments available and see if that gets you an equivalent picture.
post #37 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I find that by not stretching the SD on an HD set, that it can be tolerable.

That said, I agree with others, I will not pay for SD cable on an HD set.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #38 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Many HD TVs have a panoramic stretch in addition to a linear stretch option to display SD content on a HD TV screen which only stretches the sides of the image which normally never contain any meaningfull content but contain only scenery.
There are many broadcast and cable SD digital channels available only in encrypted mode.
Also many HD programs are created from source filmed with SD cameras and the providers use upscaling hardware systems causing thousands of $ to stretch the content without distorting the content.
post #39 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

I find that by not stretching the SD on an HD set, that it can be tolerable.

That said, I agree with others, I will not pay for SD cable on an HD set.

+1 (as far as not stretching SD content on an HD screen). I will use what my TV calls aspect mode (present the 4:3 image as a full height image with black bars on the sides) This doesn't look too bad if you follow the old SD rule of being back 3-5 times the image distance (and have the sharpness turned way down / off).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #40 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Many HD TVs have a panoramic stretch in addition to a linear stretch option to display SD content on a HD TV screen which only stretches the sides of the image which normally never contain any meaningfull content but contain only scenery.

Personally, I find the panoramic stretch modes to be even more annoying than linear stretch -- because anything that is moving across the screen, whether a text scroll at the bottom of the screen or just panning across a scene will change shape as it moves across the screen.
post #41 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
As we like to call it around here - "The Funhouse Mirror Effect".

My display does a tolerable-enough job with that mode where I can handle it for certain programming, as long as the main focal point is in the middle of the screen. And if there's anything off to the sides in the picture at all, it's nothing that's active enough to draw my attention to. Like some talking heads stuff.

I can use that mode for those kinds of things before I can use the linear stretch for anything. I can't tolerate that "fat-head" look at all.
post #42 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

If all TV providers would dump not only analog but SD then there wouldn't be any extra charges of HD because that would be all they offer. And the sooner the better.

Although the total number may diminish digital SD channels will be with us for quite some time because some don't really care about HD the way posters to this forum do. It's more likely there will be home gateways / cable boxes that do HD to SD conversion eliminating the need for redundant channels. Analog cable channels are already history where I live and IMHO are living on borrowed time in most of the country.
post #43 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

Although the total number may diminish digital SD channels will be with us for quite some time because some don't really care about HD the way posters to this forum do. It's more likely there will be home gateways / cable boxes that do HD to SD conversion eliminating the need for redundant channels. Analog cable channels are already history where I live and IMHO are living on borrowed time in most of the country.

Why would anyone spend money to convert HD digital channels to SD digital channels? We may continue to have boxes to convert from digital to analog for older sets but I can't see a market for standard definition digital. Almost every TV that has a digital tuner is an HD set.
post #44 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The one use I can see is for a broadcaster who has multiple digital SD sub-channels to convert HD digital programs for use on these sub-channels.
post #45 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The one use I can see is for a broadcaster who has multiple digital SD sub-channels to convert HD digital programs for use on these sub-channels.

Very good point. However that would not require home gateways / cable boxes that do HD to SD conversion as indicated by Sammer. Also this would have nothing to do with redundant channels as all subscribers would get the same feed be it SD or HD.
post #46 of 47 Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Why would anyone spend money to convert HD digital channels to SD digital channels?

Because the alternative is even more expensive for cable companies who want to charge extra for HD as long as possible. The conversion will probably also provide NTSC (analog) baseband and possibly RF modulation.
post #47 of 47 Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My cable provider is Time Warner. With Time Warner HD is free with digital cable. I agree that digital is more than analog at this time.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page