2 antenna in one port? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zipcode: 85716

We just installed a roof antenna to watch tv on our tivo. Previously we had been using an indoor antenna but had lots of break up of signal when people walked near the tv or traffic drove by. We also couldn't get one channel on the tivo. The roof antenna has a clearer signal (no break up of picture) and we get the channel we didn't have before (cbs, channel 9.1) BUT now we can't get CW (channel 58.1). We received this channel fine before (With the indoor antenna)...

any suggestions for how to fix this? I've looked at a tv tower map and we are getting channels from all three tv towers...just no CW. And I can't find CW listed on the tv tower list...

I thought we could use the roof antenna for the majority of the channels and add a small indoor antenna for channel 58.1, but I'm not sure a) if this is the best option or b) if it would work.

Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Post your TV Fool info here.

There is a way to use two antennas into one RF input by using an RF A/B switch. Hopefully we can find a way to get all the stations you want without having to do that.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Please bear with me...I'm new to this.

CW is on there...it looks like the only channel coming from that direction...
LL
post #4 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Switching would be difficult because TIVO automatically records ...
post #5 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What antenna do you have on the roof?

post #6 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

GE model 24765 ...rated for light green.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try re-aiming your antenna to find a sweet spot that might get all the channels to the NE, plus the CW channel to the SE (CW reception will be from the back of the antenna). Start by slowly turning the antenna from NE to North (left) about 5° at a time (use a compass). Move away from the antenna, check your reception and repeat.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
I currently have two antennas combined with a Winegard CC-7870 joiner coupler prior to my pre-amp.

Is it possible to combine Three antennas into my single pre-amp and download?

Here's why I ask...

Attachment 242050
LL
post #9 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstoliker View Post

I currently have two antennas combined with a Winegard CC-7870 joiner coupler prior to my pre-amp.

Is it possible to combine Three antennas into my single pre-amp and download?

Combining antennas is a difficult proposition. What happens is they will usually get at least some of the same signals and if that happens they can cancel each other out so you may not get some stations at all.

The most successful way to do it is to use filters, but there also can be issues with where the antennas are placed (spacing) and the cabling.

For your situation, a large directional VHF/UHF antenna mounted outdoors as high as possible with a rotor and preamp would probably be the best approach.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What Ken said, +1.
Combining multiple antennas is a crap shoot, at best, and fraught with potential problems that will degrade reception of many channels.

@magilama, the OP of this thread;
Did you try re-aiming your antenna to find a reception sweet spot?
post #11 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Combining antennas (like anyone says) can be tricky. If you live in an area where signals come from several different locations, there's a few options: use A/B switch for multiple antennas, combine antennas into a joiner, & hope it doesn't cause some stations to degrade, or the expensive option is to have a professional install your antennas. A professional installer for specific markets can install multiple antennas with minimal loss. In cases like that, you might have a general antenna in one direction (for the bulk of you stations), while other directions may have channel specific antennas, & any filters to block out the frequencies from the other antennas.

I already tried to combine 2 Winegard HD9032 antennas (1 pointed at Chicago & 1 pointed at South Bend, IN), & I lost several stations. I still plan to try for South Bend stations, but I'll have to look for a different option, including setting up another pole. If I lived in Porter or LaPorte County Indiana, I could easily combine a combo antenna for Chicago, & a UHF only antenna for South Bend with no trouble, because signal strengths are about the same, while in Lake County Indiana, Chicago stations are stronger, while South Bend stations are weaker, but not impossible to get.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 11
That would explain why I can only find combiners with two inputs.
I wouldn't mind a rotor, but I am trying to keep things simple to use for my wife and guests.

I'm fortunate to have so many stations available in my area, but cursed in that I'd like to receive them all!

Thanks for the input.
My project continues.

Attachment 242072

Attachment 242073
LL
LL
post #13 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstoliker View Post

That would explain why I can only find combiners with two inputs.
I wouldn't mind a rotor, but I am trying to keep things simple to use for my wife and guests.

The rotor is only used when you want to get stations in another direction, otherwise it just sits there.

Consider limiting the use for wife and guests to the main stations / TV market you want, and when you are there, you can use the rotor.

Many of the stations you want outside of the Detroit stations are network duplicates of ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, so by leaving the antenna pointed at the Detroit stations you won't be missing that much.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...we just tried to redirect the antenna today...if we point in directly at the tower for channel 58, we get it but lose 4 other channels...moving it in increments results in never picking up all the channels at once...it seems the towers are so far apart (or inconveniently placed) that there is no "sweet spot" to be had...
post #15 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

what's strange to me is that we had no problem getting this channel with an indoor antenna (though ALL the channels were of low quality and we lost reception periodically)...but did have problem getting one of the channels from the main tower. now we get all the channels from the main tower (NE), and the channels from the tower to the west, but not the one channel from the tower to the south. *Sigh*
post #16 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect you didn't turn the antenna in the direction I suggested. Did you try turning the antenna to the left (due North) in gradual increments?

Note: When doing this, the CW (ch "58") signal will be received from the rear of the antenna.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

It's likely you are correct! My father is visiting and was the one who did it. I will try again when he is not around (so as not to offend him!) and will slowly turn it to the north by 5 degrees each try.

He moved it due south and then moved it halfway between south and where we had it originally.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I finally tried as suggested...5 degrees at a time to the north and check the reception...once we get to a place where 58 comes in, we lose a different channel (11.1 and 11.2)...and the signal strength for all the channels goes down quite a bit. We can't find a location that gets channels from both directions.

Not quite sure what to try now.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would try a less directional antenna, like this 4bay, and repeat the aiming procedure, if necessary. If still unsatisfactory, try removing the reflector from the back of the 4bay.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page