Question about HDCP error with Cisco 4742HDC box on Time Warner cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all -

Let me just apologize in advance if my problem has been addressed elsewhere before, but I did several searches and couldn't find the answer. Because the error message is being generated from my cable box, and it's my guess is that it's something that can be addressed that way, I'm posting the question in this forum, but perhaps there's something I can do with one of the other components or connections.

Here's my setup:

I have a Panasonic Viera 42PZ77U. I have my cable box, the Cisco 4742HDC going directly into one of its HDMI ports. Also from my cable box, I have a Composite yellow-red-white cable going into my Magnavox HDD 2160MW9 so that I can record what is on air. The cable running from the Magnavox to the Panasonic TV is component. I'm on Time Warner Cable in Manhattan.

I get the following error, but only for a brief moment, when the TV power is turned on and off: Display incompatible Code HDCP-019 "The set-top's HDMI port requires an HDCP-compatible TV input. Please switch to a compatible TV input or do not use the set-top's HDMI port. If your TV's input supports HDCP, the HDMI cable may be at fault."

As I said, the error message only flashes up briefly on the screen, and then it goes away - and as far as I can tell, it's only when I turn on and off the TV - but it makes it a pain to record anything archival that I might want to watch, or even check up on during recording.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for fixes.

If you think I need to get a new cable box, perhaps you could recommend one that outputs true widescreen on composite cables so that I could also get better recordings on my Magnavox DVD recorder.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Cisco boxes will disable other outputs and show that error if HDMI is connected but does not have an active HDCP session. No way around it except to not use the HDMI output on the box.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, coyoteaz - is what you are saying true even if it is just for the moment that the TV is turning on and off? Other than that everything is fine.

Based on what you said about the HDMI output, I tried this instead:

I took off the HDMI output from the cable box and used the RGB output to my TV which I thought would work, and it did for the connection from the Magnavox to the TV, but the RGB connection from the cable box to the TV did not work properly - I got the cable signal's video, but none of the information, like the show information, cable menu information, the menu on the On Demand channels, etc - in other words all the screens and text that are chosen through the cable box...

Additionally, I didn't have enough RCA audio outputs to go to the Magnavox and the TV, so I also tried using the regular coaxial cable to go from the cable box to the magnavox instead of the yellow red white RCA cables, but I still had the same problem on the RGB high-def line not showing cable box menu information If I can get the RGB output to the TV working properly - any thoughts? - I'll have to get a digital audio cable...

One other question: if I get the RGB output from the cable box to the TV working, how does that signal compare to HDMI - I don't seem to notice a difference...

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

When the TV is turned on, it would do an HDCP handshake, giving that error for a second or two until it's complete. When the TV is going into standby, the box is probably losing the HDCP connection before realizing that it lost the HDMI connection entirely, so the error flashes up and then goes away.

No idea why it isn't showing the overlay menus on component, have you tried rebooting the box?

Component and HDMI are both capable of carrying HD video. There might be a very slight difference, but as long as you're using halfway decent cables, it wouldn't be noticeable.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, coyoteaz!

I had tried to reboot before, but this time I rebooted and replaced the cables, and it seems to work - no error message popping up when i turn on and off the TV and no loss of cable guide information when I'm viewing via component to the TV.

The only problem I'm having now is that I was wrong about additional audio inputs on the TV or additional audio outputs on the cable box for the magnavox or the TV. I can't find a digital audio input on the TV or the magnavox, and I've run out of composite RCA audio outputs on the cable box. So in order to get a signal to the magnavox, I'm using the RF coaxial cable from the cable box. I don't really know how much worse that signal is (or whether the magnavox improves it at all for recording) and I do notice that it is at least lower volume than a red and white composite audio connection, if not less detailed. Here's what I thought I could do instead: 1) I could get a Y splitter cable to split the audio from each of the red and white outputs on the cable box to the magnavox and TV. I don't know if this weakens the audio signal, or if i'll have any problem with video and audio synching, though i shouldn't because it should still be outputting the audio that goes with the video I'd be watching or recording? Or maybe not... 2) I don't know if a digital audio to RCA red-yellow cable exists, but I could get one of those so there would be two audio outs from the cable box...

Also, I don't know if this makes sense when I appear to be so close to getting it all to work, but I could also explore other cable boxes available from Time Warner Manhattan cable - maybe there are ones with more audio outputs, or ones that wouldn't have the same problem with HDMI at the moment you turn on and off the set, though that last one doesn't seem too likely? But perhaps another cable box would also output true anamorphic widescreen to my magnavox so that I could get improved recordings..this one does not appear to do that...just asking

Again, coyoteaz. thanks so much for your help.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I would just use Y cables for the audio. I don't know of any set top boxes that will do anamorphic widescreen on SD outputs. Back in the old days you could rig up some SA boxes to do it with an obscure combination of menu settings and button presses, but I don't think the capability exists anymore.

A better option overall might be using an Hauppauge HDPVR to record the component video onto a computer, and then convert that to DVD format and burn to disc. It has passthrough ports so you would still be able to get audio and video on the TV, and you should be able to do anamorphic video and get much better quality than you get with composite into the DVD recorder.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

I would just use Y cables for the audio.

Interesting you should mention this, as I'm going to try the same thing for a client. Do you think most current HD boxes have enough 'push' on the analog audio outputs to get decent audio quality after being split?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't say I've tested it with modern stuff. Never hurts to try, and Monoprice has RCA splitters for about 50 cents, so it isn't exactly going to break the bank if it doesn't work.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, coyoteaz and everyone,
So by splitting the audio signals, the HDCP problem has gone away. And everything is working....except for a new problem. In the middle of the night, I now get a message that pops up on my screen that says "Attention: Press any button to continue watching this channel" When the button isn't pressed, because I'm asleep and recording, the screen goes black for a little under a minute and then tunes back to the channel that it was on when the message originally flashed. I know that others have gotten this message and that it's believed to be connected to "switched video" - but Time Warner is unable to fix it. It's actually a problem that I had before when I was given this same cable box for a non HD TV - the only way I solved the problem then was to switch the cable box for a non-HD box, which was okay at the time because I didn't own an HD TV. But now I do, and with Time Warner unable to fix the problem I'm not sure what to do.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

It is intentional behavior of the SDV system, designed to prevent people from tying up SDV slots by leaving the box set to an SDV channel when they're not actually watching it. If the set top box has a "VCR timer" function to automatically change channels at a specified time, try using that to change the channel just before your recording starts. That may keep it from timing out. If not, you'll either need to use an actual DVR box and have it set to record the shows you want to record on your DVD recorder (the box sends back a status code telling the cable provider why a channel is in use, and user-scheduled recordings are exempt from the timeout), or rig up an IR blaster connected to something to send button presses every once in a while, or have something physically push a button on a remote.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Coyoteaz and everyone else-
Thanks again for everything. I happen to have been up during the few overnight recordings I've made in the past few weeks, so they've been okay - except for one movie that was interrupted by the stupid emergency test signal, but there's obviously nothing that can be done about that. At other times, I've had the cable box turn on and off with its timer, but I'm not sure that's working okay, I'll have to keep trying to see. It's interesting, though, that when I call Time Warner to complain, and I get someone who isn't clueless about the problem (which is about 75% of the time), they say both that switched digital video isn't supposed to work that way, meaning there isn't supposed to be any message on the viewer's end, and that TCM isn't even one of the channels that it applies to. Oh well... If it continues to be a problem that I can't get around by scheduling the cable box timer, I could, as you suggested, rehook my Replay TV, which has an IR blaster on it...Thanks again!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 PM

OK, so I am really confused.

I have a TWC & the SA 8300HD DVR.

I have never had a problem with HDMI > Panasonic until this week. Returned my SA set top and new one (same model) does the same thing:

HDCP-019 or HDCP-020 error (not sure why some are 19 or 20 error codes)

so IS there a fix with a firmware update or is there NOT a fix.

Living with a HD DVR and having to use non-HDMI is not acceptable for me, so I would just cancel if I cannot solve the problem.

Does TWC have a solution or do you know of a solution?

Thanks so much for the help
post #13 of 14 Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Reboot STB – If still bad, replace and include error code on documentation when returning to warehouse = Keep in mind that at the warehouse boxes are tested with RF/composite output to a cheap little monitor/TV and are not tested with HDMI unless the Tech tags the box with the code error problem from the field.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM

I just moved a working Cisco 4742HDC box from one room to another but the box won't power on. I have no manual and am curious how to reboot it?
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page