New House OTA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS Forum.

I have just bought a new 3BR House. It has the RG6 cable subbed out in each room and the outside the house in a group. I am trying to find the best way to get OTA channels to each of the rooms and living room. Right now I have a indoor HDTV OTA antenna hooked directly into the living room TV and that works fine for that one. I just want the whole house set up for OTA. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
For starters, we're going to need to know where you are. Go to TVFool.com and past the results here.

Second, it appears your house has some pre-wiring for either cable or satellite. With the appropriate rooftop antenna and a pre-amp, we should be able to get you up and running.

You might also want to add your location to your profile. See mine at left. It really helps since so much of this varies by location.

Welcome to AVS.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, a link to your TVFool report is needed for antenna suggestions.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Since you are happy with the indoor antenna I don't know why people are suggesting roof top antennas or needing to know where you are. All you need to do is distribute the signal with some splitters and probably an amplifier. I would avoid a roof top antenna unless you really need it (and from the info given you don't). You have several choices for indoor antenna location - the attic, some other out of the way place that has a cable to where the cables all meet, or leave it where it is. Put a splitter on the antenna and run one output to the TV by the antenna and the other output to where the cables come together. Put splitters there to output to the other cables. If you have problems with weak signal - you probably will since you are splitting the signal so many ways - then get a signal amplifier and run the antenna into it before you split the signal.

The outdoor location looks like there may have been a box there at one time. Either that or the connectors were all sealed. If you can pull the wires inside and have a place for the splitters inside you won't have to worry about the weather. Or use sealed splitters and connectors or a box outside.

I have done a similar thing with an attic mounted antenna for a couple TVs and a DVR and it works great.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post

Since you are happy with the indoor antenna I don't know why people are suggesting roof top antennas or needing to know where you are. All you need to do is distribute the signal with some splitters and probably an amplifier. I would avoid a roof top antenna unless you really need it (and from the info given you don't). You have several choices for indoor antenna location - the attic, some other out of the way place that has a cable to where the cables all meet, or leave it where it is. Put a splitter on the antenna and run one output to the TV by the antenna and the other output to where the cables come together. Put splitters there to output to the other cables. If you have problems with weak signal - you probably will since you are splitting the signal so many ways - then get a signal amplifier and run the antenna into it before you split the signal.

The outdoor location looks like there may have been a box there at one time. Either that or the connectors were all sealed. If you can pull the wires inside and have a place for the splitters inside you won't have to worry about the weather. Or use sealed splitters and connectors or a box outside.

I have done a similar thing with an attic mounted antenna for a couple TVs and a DVR and it works great.

Re-read his post. The house is new and was prewired and stubbed out, but has never had outlets installed for TV cable or other similar service.

Certain amps are not suitable for use if the signal strengths are too strong, due to amp overload. So, for amps, yes, one does need to know the OP's TVFool results in order to suggest a proper amp, if one is even needed. Otherwise, he'll be blindly playing amp roulette.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
If a rabbit ears antenna picks up all your channels just buy a one for each TV. They only cost $13 each at Radio Shack.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, the RS Budget antenna is $15 now.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM

I think someone always has to have the last word... Go ahead. You know you want to.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 AM

Liked: 19
Until they guy bothers to post his TVfool results there's not much helping him.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Actually, the RS Budget antenna is $15 now.

Wow, why such a big price hike? It used to be $11.99.

Wonder if Radio Shack has been reading our posts.