TVs with EPG with OTA signal (USA)? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I think Samsung TVs provide the most complete program info and program guide for OTA viewers. And even their entry level 720p plasmas are very nice TVs. The F4500 series. Very good prices recently, as well as the 1080p 5300 series. And extensive picture controls, even in the lower models. And a very good signal meter that provides a SNR signal/ noise ratio, as well as the 10 bars. Just got a 43 inch F4500, and it makes a great bedroom TV. Some of the LG TVs have program info, but it depends upon the certain model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84

My one and only Samsung, a P2370HD only has NOW/NEXT for a guide, I kind of assumed all Samsungs were similar, so it sounds like mine is kind of a anomaly? Too bad as I like a good PSIP guide and have to use my Vizio, which both of mine have a very good guide that goes out as far as the stations send out. My 28" LG also lacks any kind of guide and now that TVGOS is gone my Sony only shows the current program :( Oh my Panasonic LCD has no guide, not even current program is displayed!

post #33 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Not true Questy7. I chatted with Samsung today and she said ALL Samsung HDTVs have EPG. I have 5 Samsung HDTVs and they all have EPG (from 19" to 50"). As for Coby - they are freshly out of business now. I also have one Olevia HDTV, and excellent set but they went out of business. It only gives info on the current program.

post #34 of 37 Old 01-13-2014, 02:13 PM

My 42" Sammy Plasma from a few years ago doesn't have this, but my 32" Sammy LCD from a few months ago does. It's neat but personally I never end up using it. What I can't figure out is where it gets populated from??
post #35 of 37 Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 AM

OK. First of all TVGOS is no longer necessary. A smart TV is connected to the web so it can/should get its EPG data directly from TMS or other services. It's 2014 this should be a no-brainer for the TV manufacturers, especially with the cable-cutting trend going on in North America nowadays.

I was on here searching for the answer to the question about what is the best smart TV for USA OTA. I can tell you that it is NOT the 2013 line of SAMSUNGs. These people really dropped the ball on OTA/EPG. The 2013 line has a setup so that you can integrate your set top box with it with IR blasters, etc. This seems retro to me. If you have a set top box selected -- then the smart hub home screen shows a preview of what's on cable/sat and has interactive graphics of what's on primetime, what's next up, etc. Very pretty. Here is the STUPID part. If you choose OTA or cable without a box the system then comes up with NO channels for your zip code (cable without box) or for OTA just your antenna lineup and gives you ONLY cheap/lame PSIP guide data. The pretty Smart Hub screen you get when you choose cable box is lost completely. I even tried zip codes for NYC, LA, Silicon Valley -- all useless for OTA/cable w/out box.

I have called to complain to Samsung a few times about this and they "just don't get it."

If I choose cable without a box it should at very least grab the lineup used for digital cable (same lineup it uses if you have a box) and this will at least provide REAL EPG for my locals and basic cable channels.

If I choose OTA, it should grab data from the TMS online service and align it with the call letters I have in my market.

It blows my mind that they didn't get this right.

Every few months (and after SW updates) I retry initial setup and am disappointed each time.

If you want decent OTA TV listings in the USA I'd avoid Samsung TVs.
post #36 of 37 Old 03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Not quite correct. Most Samsung TVs have program info and a program guide. But when you use an antenna, the OTA listings are usually PSIP based. Although the 2013 models upgraded the Smart TV, and those listings on the Smart Hub page and the preview boxes may come from the internet. And it does work for OTA listings based upon zip code. And the Smart Hub also has a built in app for Rovi Guide listings. So actually, Samsung TVs are better than most for OTA program info. Even the lower models without the Smart TV have PSIP based program info which is not offered on many other brands.
post #37 of 37 Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM

It's a poor implementation is what I'm saying.

If you choose cable box then it uses Rovi data and you get all the pretty features.

If you choose cable without box, or OTA you get screwed and all you see is useless 12-hour (if you're lucky) one channel at a time PSIP.

Bottom line is ANY smart TV (designed properly) should always populate its EPG from a Rovi or TMS type of service over PSIP whenever possible. PSIP should be an absolute last resort.

Give it a try. Enter your zip and choose CABLE BOX and you get pretty/full EPG features. Choose OTA or no box and get crap PSIP only. As stated in my previous post I tried numerous zip codes -- all with the same bad results. Including NYC and LA zips.

Oh well. Samsung should fix this.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page