TVs with EPG with OTA signal (USA)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a new TV for use with ATSC OTA signals. I have been using a converter box that had that feature and expected it was standard on digital TVs. I just brought home a Sanyo and found it wasn't included. I called the Sanyo help line and was told that their earlier HD TVs had this but none of their current production models have this. I found a few comments that Sony and Samsung tvs (or at least a fair number of them) had this but the comments were at least a year old so I don't know if it is still accurate. I am currently looking for 1080p sets in about 24" and 46".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The best ones would have TV Guide OnScreen, but not sure if any TVs are still being sold that include it. Check the TVGOS thread for more info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122914
post #3 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Most Samsung TVs still have the built in EPG and provide detailed program info for the program being viewed. Which is why I like Samsungs for OTA antenna viewing, But several Sony and LG models have this as well, but not always in the lower tier versions. The Samsung D550 models are a nice choice, as is the D6000 LED. But they are now introducing the E series versions for 2012.
post #4 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I believe the Vizio XVT line has this as well.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Too bad that there is no way to check this out in the stores, before you buy the set. I wish they had antennas.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #6 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Too bad that there is no way to check this out in the stores, before you buy the set. I wish they had antennas.

Exactly. Very few stores have TVs connected to OTA antenna feeds anymore, making it very difficult to determine how the menu interface is set up for antenna connections, in regard to EPG, program info, and signal meters.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I believe all Vizio LCDs have a nice PSIP guide that goes out as far as possible(7 days I believe if available), at least both my Vizios do. Make sure the remote has a "guide" button.
post #8 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The best ones would have TV Guide OnScreen, but not sure if any TVs are still being sold that include it.

Not necessarily.

The future of TVGOS may be less than robust, and as noted it's unlikely one could find an HDTV with it.

Some sets may have an enhanced guide function, but as long as PSIP info isn't there to support it, it would have very little usefulness.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at a number of manuals and the only ones that actually listed EPG were some refurbished Westinghouse models.

TylerSC, the D550 Samsung was one of the models I looked at before I saw your post. If it has this feature they do a good job of hiding it. I looked up the manual and there was no mention. Specific model I checked: LN46D550

I also came to the conclusion that TVGOS may not be around that long. It isn't required by the FCC and since most people get the guide other ways (cable or sat) I expect it will die out. Just my guess...

I do have a linux box running MythTV hooked to the TV. It does a pretty good job with EPG but changing channels is slow. Not really what it was intended for. I could have the guide up with Mythtv and use the tv tuner but switching back and forth has very low SAF.

I will keep looking.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Just looked at a Vizio similar to mine, M370SL, it also has the GUIDE button.
Note no where does it mention guide in the product listings, only mentions it in the manual. I don't think most people(cable for sure) care about the PSIP guide, or lack of it.
My Sony HDTV has TVGOS which is very nice but it's only 24hrs and may not be available in all areas. Not sure which if any newer Sonys have TVGOS but a few years back it was down to only the top of the line models.
http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...M320-370SL.pdf
Panasonic, LG and Samsung will probably not have a PSIP guide, at least mine don't
post #11 of 37 Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM

A bit late to this thread, but I did online chat with both Samsung and Vizio... they both said they do not offer Electronic Program Guide ( EPG ) anymore, and Vizio specifically said it was discontinued (from all models) last year (2011?)

I guess everyone is using / renting a cable box or DVR/Tivo for $15/20/mo rental., but we aren't. Though Windows Media Center extension through Xbox is one solution, I don't want it running every time we want to check what's on. As more people cut the cord, or just use a cable without a set top box to save $, EPG's are much more valuable. Other than checking a browser on my phone, it's tough to see what's on and when! Come on manufacturers, retest demand for this!
post #12 of 37 Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes you wonder why the FCC says stations MUST provide EPG data on their OTA channels rolleyes.gif .

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #13 of 37 Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM

I recently purchased a lower end 46" LG, and 42" Sony Bravia, neither have EPG. (My 3 year old 46" Bravia (2009) screen died but had the handy TVGOS EPG.)
post #14 of 37 Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by questy7 View Post

... they both said they do not offer Electronic Program Guide ( EPG ) anymore, and Vizio specifically said it was discontinued (from all models) last year (2011?)
mad.gif EPG was one of the main reasons I purchased my 37" Vizio last year, looks like I timed that right! I also don't understand why more mfgs. don't offer PSIP guides. I can't imagine it costs much to ad, not like TVGOS where the mfg. needed to pay a one time fee to Rovi. My Vizio guide is very nice and goes out as far as is broadcasted.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20

I won't be surprised to see PSIP program data available eventually whittled down to just the virtual channel number, station call letters, and current show title.

post #16 of 37 Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Makes you wonder why the FCC says stations MUST provide EPG data on their OTA channels rolleyes.gif .

12 whole hours of it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17 of 37 Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM

I just found (11/27/2012) a data sheet of some JVC units (37-47") ( a 42" at Walmart JLC42BC3002) which have an EPG (ATSC) according to the specs. Perhaps the lower-end units will keep the EPG's for a year or two more?
post #18 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I just found (11/27/2012) a data sheet of some JVC units (37-47") ( a 42" at Walmart JLC42BC3002) which have an EPG (ATSC) according to the specs. Perhaps the lower-end units will keep the EPG's for a year or two more?

The spec sheet for that TV does show that it has an EPG, shown as "EPG (ATSC)". However the pdf manual for the set doesn't mention a Guide or EPG at all. If the TV does have an OTA Guide, and if that Guide is provided by Rovi, it will end no later than April 2013 anyway . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #19 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
All ATSC tuners, whether in a STB or TV MUST have a EPG that will hold a minimum of 12 hours of data. That is a FCC rule for TVs sold in the USA.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #20 of 37 Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if it would even be possible to find a retail store that has OTA connected to their sets, so you could "test drive" the EPG (as well as other set functions).

post #21 of 37 Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I wonder if it would even be possible to find a retail store that has OTA connected to their sets, so you could "test drive" the EPG (as well as other set functions).

Most stores do not have a remote handy, and it would be probably impossible to find one with OTA... maybe a Radio Shack. Most TV's are all connected to an HDMI input for some looping content, not the Coax/TV input where the Guide would be active... But I suppose if you could find an old remote and bring it in you could change the input to TV and hit the "Guide" button and see if it's there, even if not set up yet.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....But I suppose if you could find an old remote and bring it in you could change the input to TV and hit the "Guide" button and see if it's there, even if not set up yet.
My guess would be if the TV had a "guide" button, then it would have a full PSIP guide. TVs with just a INFO button probably only report the current PSIP program and description data.
The exception to this would be TVs that used TVGOS in which case the guide button would probably be of no use as TVGOS is basically dead frown.gif
post #23 of 37 Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM

I see some of the Coby TV's have an EPG : http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num_id=10607&pcat_id=1001
post #24 of 37 Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

.... If the TV does have an OTA Guide, and if that Guide is provided by Rovi, it will end no later than April 2013 anyway . . .

So all TV's supplied by Rovi guides are ending in April?? Okay, googled it: "Rovi has just announced that they are stopping the TV Guide OnScreen service as of April 13th, 2013. This was announced via the service itself. This is an on-air listing service that provides listings over the air, as part of an OTA TV signal.

I guess my old TV with TVGOS would no longer have this anyway.

Also, I heard from someone that Google TV has sort of an EPG... even change the channel of the TV (IR blaster?) anyone know anything about that?
post #25 of 37 Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

So all TV's supplied by Rovi guides are ending in April??

Not all. The TV's that get the V10 Guide over the internet will continue to receive it. But all the OTA and Cable supplied TVGOS will cease. In my area it stopped on December 6th.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #26 of 37 Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a Rovi TV info guide in the Smart Hub on select Samsung Smart TVs and Blu-Ray players. Via internet connection. But it is not available as an OTA or cable transmitted feature.
post #27 of 37 Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Just installed a new 50" LG set in the green room (studio waiting area). Best I can tell, it has not real "Guide", but just shows the information for the current program only.
Also, I noticed that you gave to dig down in to the menu to change audio channels...we have several locals that carry FM radio and other audios on their DTV channels.

post #28 of 37 Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM

JIM12:

I have been down the same road you are now on with the EPG ISSUE. About a year ago I called or emailed 7 or 8 HDTV MFRs and asked them if their HDTVs have EPG. The only one that does is SAMSUNG. Every Samsung HDTV set I own has EPG (I purchased my most recent Samsung in JULY 2013). I want EPG because I only receive OTA signals and I don't see me buying cable or dish unless I hit the lottery big time (and I don't buy lottery tickets anymore).

On 11/28/12, "foxeng" said on your thread: "All ATSC tuners, whether in a STB or TV MUST have a EPG that will hold a minimum of 12 hours of data. That is a FCC rule for TVs sold in the USA." I hope that is true. So why aren't the MFRs providing EPG? How much more does it cost to provide EPG? It can't be that much.

Long live the OTA HDTV Broadcasters and the signal receivers (all of us).

JIM12 - What state/city do you reside? I'm in Elkton, MD 21921. The closest HDTV broadcasters to me are in Philadelphia and Baltimore - more than 50 miles away, each in the opposite direction. Obviously I need/must have/do have a chimney-mounted VHF/UHF antenna with a rotator and several preamp and amps.

BTW - I googled "EPG" and your AVS Forum post came up at the top, so I just now joined it.

Hope to hear back from you.

post #29 of 37 Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM

mKqXgQ

Though Windows Media Center extension through Xbox is one solution, I don't want it running every time we want to check what's on. As more people cut the cord.

post #30 of 37 Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I see some of the Coby TV's have an EPG : http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num_id=10607&pcat_id=1001

Thanks for your link, but...

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page