post #31 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

... If DirecTV has a contract to carry BBC America then they should be able to carry it in HD or SD or both if they are both available. It should be up to DirecTV to decide which one. BBC America shouldnt be able to force DirecTV to sign a new contract for more money just to get access to the HD version. Streaming rights, on demand, etc could all still be negotiated seperately but I think channel carriage itself should just be all or none.

I agree, provided that DirecTV (or the CableCo) doesn't force Joe Consumer to buy an "HD Package" for more money just to get access to the HD version. They can't have it both ways . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

It would not be called a TV, it would be called a Monitor.

I can assure you my 27" TV is in fact a TV. It's from 2006 and was not required to have ATSC tuner. It does have a NTSC tuner. It has a RF input to connect an antenna or cable connection. And If I were to sell it I'm not legally required to tell the buyer that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner in it.

Quote:

And yes, they can be sold, as long as it states that it does not have the capability of tuning in tv stations, and that you have to use a third party device to do so.

Nope go read the law. TV's that don't have ATSC tuners in them can not be sold at retail in the US. I'm not sure if anyone makes TVs without ATSC tuners in them. And no I'm not talking about monitors I'm talking about something labeled as a TV.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Good example of entitlement thinking. When I was young, after riding the dinosaur home from school, I'd be thrilled to watch TV. That is, broadcast TV, from our rooftop antenna. Early on, it was black and white, in mono.
Once the station was tuned in and the horizontal and vertical knobs were set, we had free entertainment (after the cost of the TV and antenna).

Now we get (free) digital TV (high def, if we want it, set top "rabbit ears" work just fine (if you are in a metropolitan area), and a converter box will bring in extra sub channels. HD is far from necessary, or required.

Yep, HD programming without having to pay a monthly fee isn't really something to complain about. The only drawback is it seems to be more hit or miss as far as reception is concerned, but thats a small price to pay IMO.
post #34 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I can assure you my 27" TV is in fact a TV. It's from 2006 and was not required to have ATSC tuner. It does have a NTSC tuner. It has a RF input to connect an antenna or cable connection. And If I were to sell it I'm not legally required to tell the buyer that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner in it.

Nope go read the law. TV's that don't have ATSC tuners in them can not be sold at retail in the US. I'm not sure if anyone makes TVs without ATSC tuners in them. And no I'm not talking about monitors I'm talking about something labeled as a TV.

Actually they are and can be sold in the U.S. Any set you buy now, is either going to have ATSC/QAM, or just QAM, no tuner at all, or accept Cable card and no other tuners. As long as the manufacturer declares in the user manual and in the Spec's if the TV has a tuner or not, it can be sold to consumers in the U.S.
post #35 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I think you should do a bit more reading on that case before you bring it up like this again. It was a legitimate case, and the woman was scarred for life from 3rd degree burns from coffee. The McDonalds had been warned on many occasions that their coffee was too hot for health department standards. Not to mention that she didn't even sue for that much money, the Jury/Judge decided to give her more than she asked for because of McDonald's negligence.

Do you take everything serious? I know the case, because it is the very first case law you study in Business Law, and also in Principles of Business in the law section. It was used as an example, so maybe you should take things a little more not so serious, next time someone uses the Micky D's coffee lawsuit as an example. BTW, even lawyers will tell you that it was a frivolous lawsuit that started the whole oversuing of America for any little thing.
post #36 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

And that is because those in Washington feel that everyone else is a bunch of backwoods ignorant hicks, who cannot think for themselves.

Take the McDonalds lawsuit for instance. Due to some idiot who spilt coffee on their lap, now their is a warning on coffee cups that sta in English and Spanish "Warning. Contentsmay be hot."

It is one thing to go to someones house or a bar and see the shiny HDset, or projector, but it is bad enough that they do not tune it to the hd channel.

As for the label, it was only during the transistion. Now you do not even see it on sets.

??

Trying to comprehend what this has to do with the law not pertaining to used TVs.
post #37 of 44 Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Actually they are and can be sold in the U.S. Any set you buy now, is either going to have ATSC/QAM, or just QAM, no tuner at all, or accept Cable card and no other tuners. As long as the manufacturer declares in the user manual and in the Spec's if the TV has a tuner or not, it can be sold to consumers in the U.S.

WRONG. Any TV to be labeled a TV must have a ATSC tuner in it PERIOD. I'm not sure why you are arguing with me.

By March 1, 2007 all televisions regardless of screen size, and all interface devices that include a tuner (VCR, DVD player/recorder, DVR) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Only 19% of broadcast tv viewing is in HD? Does that mean OTA reception only? Is it really true that 81% of OTA viewing is made up of:
1. Viewing on analog tv sets with converter boxes
2. Viewing on the limited number of standard definition tv sets with digital tuners that were made in 2007 and 2008
3. Viewing of low power analog stations
4. Viewing in border areas of full power analog Mexican stations (and in Nov. 2010, Canadian stations)
5. Viewing of standard definition subchannels
6. Viewing of new shows that aren't HD yet
7. Viewing of new shows that are HD nationally, but SD only in a small market
8. Viewing of reruns of old shows not in HD?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #39 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

WRONG. Any TV to be labeled a TV must have a ATSC tuner in it PERIOD. I'm not sure why you are arguing with me.

By March 1, 2007 all televisions regardless of screen size, and all interface devices that include a tuner (VCR, DVD player/recorder, DVR) must include a built-in ATSC DTV tuner.

This could come down to interpretation just like the mattress police... There are plenty of multisytem televisons sold with out ATSC tuners here in the USA.

https://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?...FQid7QodWhiddQ

You can purchase them at this link and several other places online, but to be specific what you see at your big box stores on display are ATSC/NTSC tuners.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #40 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Again, it is not a TV if it does not have a Tuner. Geezus. Only person arguing is you.
post #41 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Again, it is not a TV if it does not have a Tuner. Geezus. Only person arguing is you.

Hey Einstein I never said my 6 year old TV didn't have a tuner. I said it didn't have a ATSC tuner. Try learning to READ before posting. I CLEARLY stated it had a NTSC tuner. YOU are the one auguring against FACTS. Shall I take picture of my TV and show you were it says it's a TV and NOT a monitor? I think you like to argue just to argue when there was never anything to actually argue about. At any rate the law doesn't require me to tell anyone who buys my TV that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner which was the original question I was answering before you started the senseless arguing. You seem to do that to just about anyone who has posted in this thread. Hmmmmmmmm.
post #42 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
YOU are the one auguring against FACTS

You should read his other posts...the aspect ratio one is particularly entertaining.
post #43 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM

BCF68, great way to railroad a thread. Maybe you should realize that when someone states something, it does not have to always be a match of witts.

If the manufacturer wants to make a hdset and not put in a tuner, it will say on the box "External tuner needed.". If they only want to make it ATSC capable, or iinclude QAM, they will satate that in the specs, and on the box.

The labels were stupid to begin with, due to some idiot sued, and the FCC also thought that consumers were not able to think for themselves. The best part is were they spent millions of tax dollars to tell people the differenc of analog amd digital, which really screwed the majority up, due to they already had catv or satellite, and have not seen a tv on an antenna in uears, or never knew that you could get tv through the airwaves. They thought that you needed a wire attached to the back of the tvset.
post #44 of 44 Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

or never knew that you could get tv through the airwaves. They thought that you needed a wire attached to the back of the tvset.

...then maybe it was a good idea to spend millions educatiing these people who didn't have a clue about the world around them...why is that bad?

BTW...you say you studied business law? Don't they teach grammar and spelling as well? How about researching for fact? That's not something you're familiar with, based on your posts. You tend to post things that have no basis in reality or are flat out wrong, but refuse to acknowledge it when you're corrected.

Quote:

great way to railroad a thread

...It's derail, but, whatever....
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page