hdhomerun plus cable plus antenaa - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well i could use some help fro you guys. I think this section best fits my questions but maybe not?

I have Wave basic cable (non hd) which is basically just well local channels plus the lower channels like espn, mtv, USA, ect.

i have a hdhomerun currently which does great for getting the cable to my two htpc's.

My "issue" comes in the fact i wanted to watch my Seattle Sounders in HD so i bought a little antenna to get the local channels. Works great and i get ABC, NBC, FOX, and the sounders channel (plus the other big name network im forgetting). But to watch the hd i have to have the antenna hooked directly to my main tv. So i lose the guide and all the dvr capabilities from the htpc.

So is there anyways to get both the basic cable and the antenna to be feed into the hdhomerun? It seems like the older generations of hdhomeruns had the option for an antenna and cable but mine only has 1 input option.

PSN- Velillen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What about a A/B switch? There are A/B switches that use a I/R remote.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't mix cable and broadcast on the same line because they overlap, but you should have the local broadcast HD channels in clear QAM on the cable line anyway. Did you check all the channels you have listed in the HDHomeRun software?
post #4 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

You can't mix cable and broadcast on the same line because they overlap, but you should have the local broadcast HD channels in clear QAM on the cable line anyway. Did you check all the channels you have listed in the HDHomeRun software?

I was afraid of that. Well the antenna and cable on the same line part. I dont get the local channels in HD when hooking the tv directly to the cable line. When i asked WAVE they simply said i had to rent their hd box or whatever. Not a big deal for me as 3 months using the antenna instead and Ill be saving money.

It seems like i would almost need the old hdhomerun which had inputs for each individual tuner. But before i go buy one does anyone know if thats true? Just tuner 1 is cable and tuner 0 would be the antenna?

PSN- Velillen
post #5 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I think a second HDHomerun box would be your best bet to separate the antenna and cable streams.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM

Silicondust sell off the old ones from time to time on eBay..

Here's one of the dual tuner input ones..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-HOMERUN-H...item1e6cc3b898

I have two from here and they work well.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

I was afraid of that. Well the antenna and cable on the same line part. I dont get the local channels in HD when hooking the tv directly to the cable line. When i asked WAVE they simply said i had to rent their hd box or whatever. Not a big deal for me as 3 months using the antenna instead and Ill be saving money.

It seems like i would almost need the old hdhomerun which had inputs for each individual tuner. But before i go buy one does anyone know if thats true? Just tuner 1 is cable and tuner 0 would be the antenna?

I know what they claim, but if you believe everything a cable provider tells you, maybe you'd like to take a look at this nice bridge I have for sale. They probably just aren't sending any PSIP data, so instead of KING HD showing up on 5.1, it will be on 116.4 or something random like that. In the HDHomeRun software, it might show up with no name or number.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I know what they claim, but if you believe everything a cable provider tells you, maybe you'd like to take a look at this nice bridge I have for sale. They probably just aren't sending any PSIP data, so instead of KING HD showing up on 5.1, it will be on 116.4 or something random like that. In the HDHomeRun software, it might show up with no name or number.

Exactly... If PSIP is not passed thru when it should be than your cable system is only giving you 50%...

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nope doesnt get passed through to the hdhomerun at all. Trust me i checked every single channel. Granted most of it was seeing if it was a channel i could disable or not. Only get 1 KING and its SD (same for all the "local" channels). Same if i hook the cable directly to the tv and just use it's built in tuner.

Now if you are saying it SHOULD be getting passed through then thats another story. Also even on WAVE's website for local channels it tells you (example) NBC** Requires HD equipment. granted that could just be their ploy to get you to rent the hd equipment

PSN- Velillen
post #10 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM

What is your zipcode velillian? The towns I check that Wave is available, in Silicondust.com lists only Comcast in those town. It sounds like Wave has encrypted the HD subs of the locals, which most providers have not gotten that far with doing. Most still have the HD subs in Open-QAM.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

What is your zipcode velillian? The towns I check that Wave is available, in Silicondust.com lists only Comcast in those town. It sounds like Wave has encrypted the HD subs of the locals, which most providers have not gotten that far with doing. Most still have the HD subs in Open-QAM.

My zip is 98367. Using the channel guide on the SD website the "96 programs" seems to be my list. As in the channel number match up with what i actually get. (ie King is 92-5 which is what my tuners get it as)

PSN- Velillen
post #12 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM

I show one of the choices for your zip shows 142 channels, with quite a few HD channels in Open-QAM http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_8301894

I would say that you do not need their HD box, unless you are wanting stuff that is encrypted, such as pay tv channels.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

then how do i get those channels? Since even looking at that list, channels for non hd channels dont match what i have. Example being my tuner has KOMO as channel 92-8. The 142 list has it as 70-12. That list also dones show some of the channels i do get (but does show on the 96 program list)

Guess in short is my tuner matches the 96 program list as exactly as i can tell. Whereas the list you linked to doesnt match hardly at all.

PSN- Velillen
post #14 of 16 Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You should be getting the locals in HD if you subscribe to any level of TV service. Those channels are listed as being part of the local broadcast group on the Wave website. I would bet there's a filter on your cable line that is blocking them. You should go into the HDHomeRun software and turn on their diagnostics option, run a channel scan, and open a ticket with their support so they can check the signals and confirm it. If I'm right, you could then call Wave and ask them to install a different filter on the line, as those channels should be available to you as part of your service. What happens is that they install a filter that blocks a specific range of channels, and then later on they rearrange the locations of the channels and the filter ends up blocking things it shouldn't. I had the same problem years ago when I got my first HDHomeRun.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 AM

It is possible that those were the remapped positions at one time. There is no way of telling, due to it is not dated info. Is there another CATV provider in your area besides WAVE? It is possible that there is a mishmash of info on Silicon dust, but I am thinking that it is old channel mapping info, before Wave started moving things into encrypted, and was still moving channels around, which would cause them to be mapped on different channels.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

hmm interesting Ill have to do what both of you have suggested. There is Comcast in the area but they wont provide service to my house since it is in a "Wave" service area or some crap. Least when i tried to get comcast originally they kept saying they dont service my area.

Still think i'll go ahead and pick up another hdhomerun (for 45 bucks why not) and use the antenna for local hd for the slightly better resolution though. But thats just me being me. Still going to call up wave and figure out the local hd problem. Probably going to cancel it soon anyways since i never use it and my promo months are almost up

PSN- Velillen
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page