Insatlled a new outdoor antenna, but - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

I have a cable at home and I had drilled a hole from outside to bring the cable in the room for my Cable Box, but now I have installed an outdoor Antenna to watch HD channles but I do not want to drill another hole. Is there any way I can use a Splitter or some thing that I could/join to cables together outside and bring only one in but watch both Cable and OTA without switching the cables......I just do not want to drill another hole......Please advice.......
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DO NOT JOIN THE CABLE FROM THE CABLE COMPANY AND THE CABLE FROM FROM YOUR OTA ANTENNA ! (Yes, I meant to shout this).

They are to be thought of as two distinct systems which overlap in frequencies handled. You will need to use 2 cables, one for OTA to the TV, and one to the cable box.

Now, if you had some DBS systems - it IS possible with the right combination (and the right diplexers) - I know it can be done using Dish Network and older style DirectTV systems, not so sure about the newer DirecTV systems.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You cannot combine cable and antenna inputs, as signals will interfere and block reception. If you disconnected the cable as it enters the house and replace it with the antenna connection, you could use the same prewiring and master control box for the antenna feed. But if you want both cable and OTA antenna, then you need to run a separate cable for each, and use an A/B switch.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Cable TV uses frequencies from about 5 MHz to as high as 1000 MHz (below 50 is used for the return feed from your box or internet). The band is pretty much "full", with every channel in use.

Over-the-Air uses three bands of channels, from 54 to 88 (plus, 88-108 for FM radio), 174 to 216 MHz, and 470 to around 700 MHz (UHF). It's possible on many satellite systems (but, not all) to "Diplex" OTA or Cable (below about 900 MHz), with the satellite dish's L-Band signals, which start at about 950 MHz, and go up to 1450, or even 2150 MHz.
But, that's only because the bands don't overlap between the two devices.
Some satellite systems don't even allow for that, since they use everything about the VHF channels for an additional satellite band.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones12 View Post

Hi all

I have a cable at home and I had drilled a hole from outside to bring the cable in the room for my Cable Box, but now I have installed an outdoor Antenna to watch HD channles but I do not want to drill another hole. Is there any way I can use a Splitter or some thing that I could/join to cables together outside and bring only one in but watch both Cable and OTA without switching the cables......I just do not want to drill another hole......Please advice.......
Thanks in advance

Depending on the size of the holes and feeds you may be able to pull a dual quad-shielded RG-6 cable through the existing hole to solve your problem. This is two cables molded together. I use this to feed Directv and over the air antenna as separate/independent feeds.

Installer be aware: Proper connections, waterproofing and grounding is necessary!

As an example: http://www.summitsource.com/100-ft-d...de-p-6823.html
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page